Pyramid Amps?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pauLLyP, Jul 26, 2002.

1. pauLLyP

pauLLyP OT Supporter

Any word on Pyramid amps? They good, dependable? Probably getting a 10" sony sub. The sub only NEEDS 250 watts. Found a 400 watt pyramid amp for $44 on eBay. And lastly, what exactly is a two channel amp?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :wiggle:

2. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

waste of 44 bucks, they are about the worst you can get. 2 channel means that you can run 2 speakers off of it, to be basic as possible, you can do mroe things with 2 channels, but im not going to confuse you. It makes no-where near what it says that it will for power, look at about 40-60 watts. Im sure someone here can get you somehting good for 44 bucks to just run a 10.

3. davidI

davidI New Member

Stay away from Boss, Jenson, Pyramid and Rockford...

there are probably a couple other brands I missed but these are companies to try and avoid.

4. cctyler

cctyler Mornin'

You're confusing Rockford and Rockwood, Rockford Fosgate makes some good equipment, its Rockwood thats a joke.

5. idontgiveashit

i used to have a rockwood, stay away from those, and he probably still means RF too, because they jsut like to over heat alot from what ive put together, and they really arent worth their money, but everyone has their own opinions.

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

yes but you have the good RF amps the older the RF amp the better

7. idontgiveashit

good thing flynfrog cleared me up on that, i was talking the new styled ones.

8. integrajoey

integrajoey New Member

the older ones were just more underrated..

9. 04

04 Guest

:uh:

First of all, the sub does not need 250 watts, it only needs as much power as you need to get it to the volume level you deem acceptable.

Second, that 44 dollar amplifier does not put out 400 watts. For that much money, I doubt it is much better than the amplifier built into your car's headunit. Thats not to say it would not work in your situation. If you dont listen to your music loud at all, then it might be fine. Pyramid however, is not known for the most reliable gear... But for 44 dollars, if it fails who cares, it was cheap as hell, and you can just buy another one.

10. Axilrod

Axilrod Guest

They fuckin suck, nuff said.

11. 04

04 Guest

:(

Not if your budget is 44 dollars...

I would like to know what other amplifiers you can buy for that price that are better?

12. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

Re: Re: Pyramid Amps?

i thought you said all amps sounded the same.:p

13. 04

04 Guest

Re: Re: Re: Pyramid Amps?

They do! That doesnt mean they are all equal. Problems with Pyramid include, lack of power output, and reliability issues. But other than that, I don't see anything wrong with Pyramid. They just inflate their specifications greatly and use cheaper parts, which could in turn result in reliability problems. Will the pyramid outdo a 100 dollar amplifier? At 1 watt? They will probably sound the same, unless one has an equilizer or excessive distortion. At 50 watts will they sound the same? Prolly not.

14. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pyramid Amps?

who listens to tehre radio at one one whatt any way ?

15. 04

04 Guest

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pyramid Amps?

Unfortunatly I subjected you all to a mass generalization. Sorry. What I should have said was, "amplifiers will sound the same working within their linear operating range". For the Pyramid this may be 10 watts or it may be 50 watts, or it could even be 1 watt. That part is irrelevent, however, what is important is when the comparison is done with another amplifier. Think about it this way, the speakers are your weakest link. They have higher THD levels than an amplifier, as well as LARGE phase shifts, impulse response abnormalities, and frequency response variancies - when compared to an amplifier. When you compare a speaker to an amplifier, the amplifier looks like a perfect reproducer of sound.

Also, you would be surprised at who listens at 1 watt. A lot of the time, I do. Rememer, music is dynamic, your speaker doesnt get a constant 1w. At one instant in time, it may recieve 1w. At another instant it may only recieve 10 milliwatts. Many of the "tube guys" have amplifiers that can put out no more than 2 or 4 watts per channel, yet that is all they need because they use ultra efficient horn loaded loudspeakers. It really depends on the person, and how loud they like it.

16. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pyramid Amps?

im not trying to pick a fight jsut stating a point

17. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i think you're on his IL, so i'll quote you.;) then again i might be also.:o

18. 04

04 Guest

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pyramid Amps?

No, hes not on my ignore list, I am just not debating this with him anymore. Fazle said to stop the flaming, and so I am. He is not going to change my opinion and I am not going to change his, therefore the endless debate is pointless.

19. 04

04 Guest

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pyramid Amps?

Ok, yes I can. Scroll back a few days about my post on http://forums.off-topic.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=352655 . As you can see, I did perform a comparison between a cheap, crappy shelf system amplifier and my reciever. I heard no differences except for at higher volumes. I have also switched out my speaker wire from 18awg generic to 16awg Sound King with no differences, except the Sound King looks really pretty. :wiggle: I have also switched my analog audio output from my computer to a toslink connection with no difference. I tried two different toslink cables, an acoustic research and a dayton, with no differences. I have also tested between a discman and my computer as a transport, no differences. Not to mention I have tested different bitrates of MP3s and their effect on sound quality. What else should I do? Last time I checked, there isnt a store that lets you rent a 10K$ Krell amplifier. And if I cannot hear a difference between two amplifiers, I surely am not going to hear the soundquality between two cables.

Your arguement for my hearing sucks could be valid. In frequency, however I can hear up to 18khz, or 19.2khz if I adjust the volume higher - of course this was done on my PC, not the most exact, and my speakers have softdomes that start rolling off at about 19.5khz http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/275-070.pdf though not significantly. I tried 20khz but if it was their it was very faint. But, my brother could indeed hear the 20khz, meaning my hearing is probably just bad. Perhaps that is my problem? The output transistors in the cheap amplifiers start saturating at 19khz, meanwhile I am not even aware, but those like yourself with good hearing can distinguish this. The thing with that is you could use an O scope to measure that.

Look again at that waterfall impulse response chart. Notice the bumpies? Now look at this one: http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/277-020.pdf That tweeter costs 225 dollars a pair. Yet even that superexpensive tweeter has Thd that would be probably audible at -15dB from reference. 1%THD from an amplifier would signify a state of 20dB down from nominal. Even that super expensive tweeter has more distortion than a cheap little amplifier.

Why dont you suggest some other tests I can perform?

20. 04

04 Guest

Ok, please show me the thread, I am fighting many people on many forums, and it is hard to keep up. Now, your saying that all the subtleties are at low volumes? Why not at loud? Define a subtleties in the music. Is it a fast sound, perhaps with huge dynamic range? Such as a cannon blast?

I hate to say it, but MP3's which you like, compress the most at lower volumes, rather than a signal recorded at 0dB, and if that is the case, then listening to MP3's take away all the subtleties.

21. 04

04 Guest

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pyramid Amps?

I cannot do instant tests, I can only make a comparison, change the part again, and make another comparision. I know that is a poor way to test, but I do not have an ABX device.

22. 1. I have a pyramid amp. It says 150x2, maybe does 25x2. But the sound is clean and the amp does a marvellous job on speakers.

2. I have a 2k1 Punch 160. Ran 1 12" had it shut down once for over heating (only running 4 ohm mono). Oh well, it works fine now.

23. 04

04 Guest

Thank you Soup Nazi, someone has real world experience with what I am describing. I bet if you tried and upgraded the Pyramid amp with an "audiophile" model, you would not notice a difference.

24. Exactly,

"dirty watts" my ass. Hey 042801, is that a Klipsch La Scala (?) in your sig?

My dad is a hardcore Klipsch Audio fan :big grin:

25. 04

04 Guest

Nope, its a Pi Speakers 10pi folded horn. I have seen the thing in real life, it is freaking huge, 27cuft external volume.

Check it out: www.pispeakers.com

Someone else on this board claimed it looked like a Klipsch ripoff...