Putting on weight at lower cals..

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DatacomGuy, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I don't get it. I low carbed for about 9 months to get as close to single digit BF. Some of you may or may not remember. I got around 14%, and stalled for a few months.

I took 3 months off or so. Eating around 2400-2500 cals, 40/30/30, with little cardio but continuing with resistance training. Some lifts have gone up (but so has my bloat - gross). I've gained about 10 lbs (probably a bunch of water), and i've maintained that 10lbs over the last 2.5 months.. And I've gained about an inch at the waist.

How is it that I go back to an average maint, work my ass off, and still put bodyfat back on? I'm not even eating in excess. I must be missing something. Someone set me straight. We have members on here talking about bulking at 5000 cals; and I feel like I'm bulking at 2400. It SUCKS.

2. slurpster

slurpster FLESHY FLAP VALVE NAVIGATOR OT Supporter

lol, everybody is different man. I start gaining when calories go above 1500 a day. shit sucks. just gotta work with what you have.

3. irKevLar

irKevLar New Member

I don't know why.
    Try running in the mornings to boost metabolism.
    Give your body some more time to get used to your rapid changes. It doesn't like you taking 3 months off then hitting it hard when you come back.
    Don't stress; that will only make it worse.

4. phatmike

phatmike Thread Killer

Seriously, this same kind of thing happened to me. I low carbed for what seemed like forever to get from 244 to 171. I stalled out there (and generally felt small and weak), so I went on a more "normal" macro split, with carbs being concentrated around my post workout time. Gained about 10-15 lbs and about an inch in the waist. I did that for a couple months, and started to increase my lifts, but felt too fat. Dropped my calories my 250 a day for a couple of weeks, and nothing. Dropped another 250 and nothing. WTF!!!

My problem, as it turned out, were my cheat days. I don't care what anybody says about improved partitioning, etc. If you are going hog wild on your cheat day, you can kill the progress you made for the week.

I still have a cheat every week, but I don't eat to the point of being stuffed. I eat until I am satisfied, and then I wait until I am hungry again to eat. Everything is fair game, but moderation is the key (for me).

If you have cheat days, take a hard, honest look at them. Track your cals to see what you are really putting down.

If you aren't having cheats, post your current diet plan with macros

5. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

mebbe u put ur body in to starvation mode at that intake level?

6. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

:werd: This has been happening to me lately. I think it's because I drink for 6 hours and eat like 4 pizzas nightly friday, sat and sunday :rofl: :wtc:

I'm thinking maybe you cut your calories too low? How did you go about determining you dieting cals?

7. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

i eat pizza 2-3x on a weekend too and monday morning i look leaner than ever... i don't get it either...

8. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

:mad: I think it's the 10+ beers 2 days a week worse than anything... then the drunken binges that follow don't help either.

The moral of the story, datacomguy, don't drink.

9. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

yeah last weekend i only drank 3 beers... 10 would be bad for me... i think

10. Plan B

Plan B New Member

I feel like i'm bulking at 2500cals too, it sucks.

11. DatacomGuy

It does suck. Not sure what to do. My ultimate goal is to put some serious size on, but if I'm eating at what I figured to be maint, and i'm gaining bodyfat at a low calorie intake - then what???

I've seriously thought about seeing a nutritionist for a few times to get some input.. just not sure how expensive that is.

Side note: I don't drink, so that makes it easy :)

12. The Boy Bastard

The Boy Bastard Bewbie's??

Your caloric needs may have not been meeting your busting ass in the gym. It did at first, but at 9 months of low carb it's possible you inadvertantly put your body into starvation mode at some point.

You also have to consider the quality/type of food you got back to eating since your 10lb gain. Maybe you are very carb sensitive now from the long term low carb, maybe you always have been.

If you kept a log of your progress with diet, I would review your weeks when you began increasing again. You might find something you didn't think of before.

13. DatacomGuy

I logged for a while, but stopped. When I started increasing, I had a hard time adjusting to carbs again so it was slow and gradual. Hell - I was reluctant to try and return to normal diet again, but knew I had to if I wanted to ever put on size.

As far as quality or types, I maintained with lean meats, veggies.. and added some complex carbs as well as simple sugars too. Some cheats in there every now and then with cookies, ice cream, or pizza. I try and avoid any of that stuff because of the obvious reasons.. but for the most part, I behaved.

I think you are right though - I do feel as though I may be really sensitive to carbs. Even after my refeed days during my low carbing, although Lyle would mention that one shouldn't be bloated or feel heavy - I would. Sometimes gaining a few lbs in water weight over a refeed day, and stupid high bloat.

Effing carbs. When I do put together a bulk, I plan on low carbing the bulk as well (minus surrounding workouts) Carbs are just fucking me up all over.

14. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I suck at life without 100g+ of carbs, I don't know how you do it.

15. DatacomGuy

Shit.. I was eating at ~30-40 net g's a day. Didn't bother me until my lifts started to suffer.

I like being lean.. much more then being bloated, thats for sure.

16. Mippity

Mippity New Member

:word: about alcohol. That did it to me for a while.
    I was eating about 1500 cals but would always sabatoge by binging on beer or wine and I would even that number out to about 2k per day.

17. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Have you tried carb and calorie cycling like it talks about in the sticky? It seems like you've got to watch your diet like a hawk to me. Better start a log.

I just wing it and get the results I want so sucks2bu :(

18. DatacomGuy

I was pretty strict on logging, but stopped after I got the hang of what was OK to eat and what not too eat. I plan on logging again when I attempt to restart weight loss to get closer to single digit so I can try to successfully plan for a bulk.

Yes - did carb and calorie cycling. Worked great with my low carbing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.