Pushups

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by SystematicRemix, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SystematicRemix

SystematicRemix New Member

How important are pushups in working out/bulking? I never see people do them at the gym. Should I add them to my routine, and if so what variations are the most effective? I'm doing one handed/diamond/wide/backhand/finger/fist variations and i'm not sure if they are helping.

5'8" 125 lb trying to gain weight and get stronger.

2. TZ

TZ Banned

from what ive heard pushups are good for shoulder health but are pretty useless as far as gettin hewj. just stick to lifting heavy with barbells and dumbbells...

3. SystematicRemix

Hmm.. I've always heard that it targets triceps but i might be wrong. So you're saying drop it all together and focus on bench/barbell lifts?

4. TZ

TZ Banned

thats what i would do

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I do pushups before any workout just to warm up my shoulders and the muscles that control them... also a good warmup for bench, just don't go until failure.

6. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

good for joint/muscle stability cause of it being a closed chain exercise and contracts more muscle than using free weights

7. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

good for shoulders and scapula -- search through some of ceaze's posts

8. SystematicRemix

I can't use search, can you quote some of his posts? I know that pushups are good, but I need to know if it's worthwhile to keep doing them, or just replace them alltogether with lifting type exercises. Currently i'm doing sets of regular pushups in 1 minute, and sets of diamond/wide. Other variations like one hand and backhand are mostly for showing off (i.e. useless).

9. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

10. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Well-Known Member

i always seem to run into the guys that say they never workout but doing 200 pushups a day got them ripped. I must be doing smoething wrong.

11. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing pushups. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

12. kevolushin

kevolushin New Member

Pushups are okay. I do a ton during the week for being in the military, they definitely won't get you much bigger, but you'll see some size and more definition. If you want to get bigger, go lift heavy.

13. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Depends on your strength level. If you have difficulty doing sets of 12 pushups than stick to the pushups for now.

14. Grimey

Grimey New Member

I miss doing pushups... still can't do em :wtc:

15. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

How come?

16. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

hurt his RC

17. niteQwill

niteQwill New Member

doing push ups will rip up your chest and gives it more definition. i try to do at least 150 every morning before i head into work and on top of that work out. every little exercise will count and make a difference as long as your doing something. chin ups are also very effective.

18. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Dude.. you weigh 125lbs.....

I'm suprised no-one has said this yet but:

Don't bother with pushups. Pushups won't do shit to get you bigger or stronger. You might get better at doing pushups but at your level, it's worthless.

Get to a gym, lift heavy objects - squat, bench, deadlift, row, pullups, overhead press. and EAT EAT EAT until you are full.

19. Hebrew Hammer

Hebrew Hammer Resident Jew goalie OT Supporter

thats what I was going to say but I figured he wouldn't listen so why bother.

20. SystematicRemix

I wouldn't come in here asking for advice if I was just gonna ignore it. I'm probably going to keep pushups to a minimum from now on.

And yeah I am Really skinny -- I've been eating a lot recently with 12 oz of steak, lots of milk, potatoes, rice, veggies and fruits everyday though so hopefully that will change soon.

21. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

how high is your total daily caloric intake?

Also don't keep the pushups to a minimum... Work out as much as possible. However, you should realize that lifting weights is the only way you're actually gonna gain serious muscle mass.

If you feel like living life dangerously and you can't get a gym membership, get some cinderblocks, stones, bricks, sandbags, whatever... and start lifting them. The gym membership is much better than this IMO as far as safety goes.

22. SystematicRemix

I'm too lazy to calculate my caloric intake but i'm eating as much as possible, that's for sure. I'm also going to get some supplements next week.

As far as lifting goes I'm pretty much set because I got a good home gym in my basement, but I'll be on vacation soon so I'll have to resort to pushups for some time.

23. Mike McDermott

Mike McDermott It's evolution, baby. OT Supporter

There's nothing wrong with pushups; I do them during my warmups for upper body says, and sometimes do depletion pushups (3 sets to absolute failure, 90 second RI) on off days.

But you won't really build muscle with them, unless you add weight.

24. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Cool.

No reason to NOT do pushups.. it's just that your time could definately be better spent doing things that will build muscle over your whole body a lot faster. Think - what is going to build more muscle; a pushup using about 50% of your body weight using your chest and shoulders; or a deadlift of more than your bodyweight using almost every muscle in your body?

The real key is your diet to be honest. You won't gain any muscle unless you are eating the right things. See the sticky thread at the top of the forum for all your diet advice. Any questions - make a thread.

25. MP18

MP18 New Member

i do the navy seal workout that was posted here a while back on my off days, the push ups never interfered with my strength training and i found it actually helped increase my recovery

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.