Pushups & Pullups Question

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mr. Monopoly, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Monopoly

Mr. Monopoly OT Supporter

I'm 5'8" and 142 lbs. I won't say I'm in wonderful shape, but I'm enrolled in a military fitness class at my college that's starting to get me that way. Where I'm still not able to catch myself up on is the pushups and pullups categories. I can get maybe 20 chest touching the ground and back up pushups in about two minutes, but the standard sits somewhere around fifty. Ideally, I'd like to be a little past that eventually. Pull ups, I can't do period unless there's someone holding my legs below. :o What sort of excercises should I be doing to increase my upper body strength so I can improve in these areas? I know it's no overnight thing, but I'd really like to be able to get this eventually. Thanks for any advice. :bowdown:

2. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I'm sure there is a specific program to help you in these areas, but really: just do a lot of pushups daily, eat right, maybe use an assisted pullup machine till you can do one pullup, then start doing a lot of pullups daily. If you're super sore take it easy.

3. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

You could use one of these for assisted pull ups...

[​IMG]

or use a lat pulldown machine...

or practice negitives, cheat to the top and slowly lower yourself with tension the whole way

4. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

exactly what i would have said

5. v12oom

v12oom OT Supporter

im a big boy at 215 lbs , 5'9..prob like 3 months ago, i couldnt do 1 pullup. now i can do 6-7 in a row and 25 in 10 minutes. assisted machine, i tried it once but i felt like i was cheating way too much. i do lat pulldowns every shoulder/back workout but really, just get on that bar and pull your ass up. itll get easier.

6. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

I would suggest negatives or timed holds rather than using assistance

7. jfall

jfall Active Member

8. Oh its me 20

Oh its me 20 New Member

and also lat pulldown

9. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

As a former fatty I had trouble doing pull ups as well. Even after I lost a lot of weight I'd never even done the motion before (lat pull downs doesn't seem to do it) so to get into it was tough. I could rep 405 on deadlifts and 125 lbs on db rows but couldn't do a damn pull up at 250 lbs. I did assisted pull ups for a while with some success, but what actually worked was doing negatives. There is no secret exercise you can do or pill you can take that will turn you into a pull up machine, you have to really work at it. Keep on it and one day it'll happen. That said when you do your first real (from a dead hang, straight up to where your chin is above the bar) one you feel like Superman :rofl: Everybody else is like :hsugh:

10. AROTC PT Course?

Ooah.

I am in the same and the pushups can really kill you especially if they make you drop em in the middle of a run. It's usually not my tri/shoulder/chest that fail but its hard to keep my lower body straight because my legs will be so sore. I think I did something like 44 pushups in 2 minutes...I really need to work on it before the APFT. Running will be my biggest loss of points on that though, not pushups/situps.

11. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Fatman pullups??

12. rocklee

rocklee New Member

13. geekierthanyou

geekierthanyou Crews: DSLR, Brolie, Classic Car, Gun, Zombie, Pro

when I was doing ROTC I used DBs to get my pushups maxxed. Do a regular pushup, but instead of letting your hands touch the ground, but them on a 45lb db and do them off that. I went up by 9 pushups in a 2 week time training that way, plus doing the same thing but elevating my legs above my head (put feet on chair, do pushup). That helped me a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.