A&P Purpose of White Balance...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by 1200mk, Apr 18, 2007.

1. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

what exactly is the purpose of white balance?

Sometimes I want pictures to come out the the same way I see it but when I manually wb it the objects that are white actually turn white but this is not what my eyes see.

Can someone shed some light as to what is "proper" white balancing?

2. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Our eyes are able to differentiate and correct the color "white." The ability to WB on your camera allows you to tailor it to look "white."

3. ballz

ballz Two of 'em OT Supporter

you can adjust the white balance if you don't like the 'white' that the given light is producing.

4. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

because a picture can sometimes show you something your eye can't see ... like the true colour of a car under crappy lights.

5. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

IMO white balance these days is completely subjective unless your shooting stuff where accurate color reproduction is required.

I make cityscapes (at night) blueish to try to tone down that horrible tungsten lighting. I like ice blue.. I like to warm up forests.

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

As lights are never really white and a white object reflects most of what you shine on it, the 'white' in your photo is roughly the colour of the lights around it, varying from yellow/orange tungsten to greenyblue fluorescent.

Your brain has a pretty good idea of what should be white, and adjusts it and other colours around it. Your imaging software needs a whitebalance setting to do roughly the same.