Purchasing my first motorcycle, looking for advice

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Teh Jebus, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Teh Jebus

Teh Jebus Active Member

I'm taking the safety course next month to get my M1. Soon after I will be purchasing a bike.

I've done a lot of looking around for the last 2 weeks, gone to a couple of local shops and sat on the bikes, gotten a bit of a feel for them as far as seating goes, and I'm stuck in a decision.

I want to get a 500R, but at the same time, I don't want to overdo myself thinking I'm hot shit and then crash the bike into something unpleasant. The 250R is nice, but I know I'll want to upgrade within a few months.

Would it be smarter to get the 250R, ride it for 6-ish months, and then sell it and step up to a 500R? I don't plan on buying new, I'm looking more at a 2003-2004 model to keep cost lower, and it seems that they maintain resale value.

2. le_rocks

le_rocks New Member

This, you can buy a used 2003-2005 250r for under 3k, ride it for 6 months then resell it for about the same price you bought it for.

3. 7960

7960 New Member

what have you ridden?

4. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

presuming your profile is correct, you may want to join www.sloriders.com (/me is Junkie there).

nothing wrong with starting on a 500 IMO.

5. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

get something used and cheap. you will be unhappy when you lay down a brand new motorcycle. and yes, you will eventually lay it down

6. Vixen01777

Vixen01777 New Member

You answered your own question.

7. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

I'd just get a 250. They pretty much retain their value.
    Sell it after a while, and move up

8. Teh Jebus

Teh Jebus Active Member

I actually just moved recently from Grover Beach over to Santa Maria. So right over the SLO county line now and even farther from SLO. ;( But I'll definatly join sloriders still, lots of useful information on the site.

And thanks for the responses everyone.

9. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Buy whatever you want and are comfortable with. Everyone is different and there's no "right" bike for every newcomer. Some people like smaller bikes, others don't mind the big ones.

My first bike was a 1,200cc cruiser. Some people said I should start out smaller or whatever but I didn't care. It was more important for me to get something I really liked, then I would be less likely to be careless with it.

IMO thinking your ever hot shit on a bike is a sure fire way to get hurt....no matter the size of the bike.

10. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

The 250R was a pretty hot bike when gas was going for $4 a gallon. I went by the local Kawasaki dealership to see if they had any 650R's and I got to asking about them and they said they had already sold all the 250R's they were getting for the year... and this was in June.

You can never go wrong with the 250R as your first bike, but the 500 is also a good starter bike.

11. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

I have a 250R and been riding since May, the better I get at riding, the more I love the flick-ability of this bike... it's just so much fun... I'll probably hang on to it for another 7 or 8 months before upgrading...

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

my 1st bike was a 1988 honda hurricane 600cc (bought it in 92') when everyone back then told me the same crap about buying a smaller bike for my 1st bike.

it was silly advice then and it's silly now.

a bigger more powerfull bike can be more dangerous but if you aren't an idiot and take it easy until you have some experience riding what's the big deal.

(and i've had other bikes since that 1st bike so yes i know the power difference then compared to now exists yada yada yada)

13. mtnbikekid08

A bigger bike is more dangerous period. You make mistakes like dropping the clutch on a bigger bike and it's not just going to stall out.
    Your advice is silly.

14. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

bikes are dangerous period, if you're gonna ride you might as well make sure it's a bike you're comfy on and has enough power to keep you happy after the training wheels come off.

15. mtnbikekid08

Bullshit, a 250 has plenty of power. There are guys who ride 250s and can kick your ass no matter what you ride.
    It's the rider, not the bike.

16. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

lol uh, just lol
    since i ride a harley these days you may be right and the 250 could beat me.
    but saying a blanket statement like that is beyond silly, for all you know i could have been riding a hayabusa

and i think i'm a pretty decent rider after riding for 16 years and having never laid my bike down while riding (dropped 1 when i was pushing it backwards and lost control of it lol)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  17. mtnbikekid08

Telling me you have never laid down your bike just tells me that it's going to eventually happen, nothing more.
    And apparently if you think you really think a 250 is slow, you need to get your head out your ass.

18. Eviloliv3

Eviloliv3 New Member

19. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i don't doubt that it'll happen sooner or later. I don't exactly do any stunt riding though lol. but yeah i'm sure someone will merge lanes into me or pull out in front of me or something sooner or later.

ride long enough and it's sure to happen regardless of skill or riding style. i'm sure some of you that do stunt riding drop bikes a bunch (since it's high risk riding, not implying you suck) but since i'm way past popping wheelies (i'm in my 30's and fat lol) etc my best chances of eating pavement is some jerk off in a car not paying attention

and yes 250's are slow, if i was buying another sport bike there is no way i'd go smaller than a 600cc

20. Eviloliv3

Eviloliv3 New Member

im debating buying a 250 just for the gas savings :dunno:

21. mtnbikekid08

250's can do 90, and can accelerate pretty fast(not literbike or 600 fast, but faster than most cars). You just have to know how to ride it. They have a sweet spot in the upper RPM ranges.
    If that's not fast enough for you, you shouldn't be riding anywhere other than the track.

22. Mint

Mint Active Member

First things first, take the MSF - youll use that knowledge EVERYDAY i promise you and without it a good chance youll make a silly mistake and lowside your bike.

Considering you live in the bay area and i assume you might not be on the freeways very often.

A 250 will be fine.
    But honestly if you do a lot of highway riding. Get the 500r.

I was terrified of anything bigger than a 250 after the MSF course, and when I got my 600rr i spent a week just doing circles around my neighborhood.

But let me tell you. Since then i've already put 600 miles on the damn thing. Mostly freeway, and I'm so damn happy i got a 600 over a 250 with the amount of freeway driving I do.

It really depends on the rider, if you really respect the bike, fear dying at a young age - and are responsible. You'll take it easy on the bike, and will likely not expose yourself into any more danager than you would on a 250.

Also get good gear, that should be your first purchase.

23. mtnbikekid08

Didn't you just get a bike?:mamoru:
    Stop giving advice when you haven't even really ridden anything.

24. Mint

Mint Active Member

:hs: Just sharing my noobie experiences :x:

25. Hahawhat?

Hahawhat? New Member

This must be a joke thread or you are a newb at riding. 250's are for people who either learn slow, don't have commen sense to take things slow, or just want to pay more in the long run. I started out on a 600 2 years ago (3 as I have road this year) and haven't dropped my bike. Yeah at first I wouldn't go full throttle and took turns only at the speed limit but easily within a month and probably 300-500 miles, it was full throttle and twisty time. All of my friends started out on 600 1 year ago and non of them has dropped their bikes, just don't be a squid thinking you hot shit and you won't wreck (assuming people don't cut you off to where you have to).

I would never take advice from a guy who said a 600 with top out in 10 seconds :rofl: