GUN Purchasing handgun in Ca/Online

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ahead, Mar 13, 2006.

1. ahead

ahead New Member

Hello, this will be my first gun purchase. im going on 23 years old and have been looking around on the DOJ site and NRA and it seems that 21+ can purchase a handgun in CA (with the waiting period). is this right? ive heard conflicting info from some people but all i could find is 18+ for long guns and 21+ for pistols.

also, it seems that there are better prices online than in the stores and online retailers dont ship to CA? i cant seem to find any solid info on this, but i have been reading and it seems you have have the online retailer send to a shop in some other state and then they can send it to your home? can someone explain this stuff to a noob like me? thanks :x:

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

CA = you will usually pay higher prices for guns

If you order it online it has to be shipped to a FFL and you pick it up from there.

3. ahead

ahead New Member

i assume FFL means licensed retailer? can break it down for me, whats each letter stand for?

so, i could order it online and have it send to a FFL in CA and pick it up from them? do they usually charge extra for this? (either the FFL or the online store?)

thanks

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FFL holder is someone who has a store or some just use them to do transfers for others, federal firearms license, the typical fee around here is $20-30 may vary in cali, the person your buying from shouldnt charge you for anything other then gun and shipping.

5. ahead

ahead New Member

but i could have it sent to a FFL in CA from a online store? or does it have to go to a different state then to CA? thanks

6. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

no, it can go straight from whoever you buy from to the FFL in question. However, as a point of courtesy, talk to the FFL before ordering it. (You will have to do this any way, to get them to send a copy of their licence). Also, make sure that the gun is on the 'approved handgun' list. Cant remember the linky, but its on the CA DOJ site.

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It can go straight from seller to the FFL, just make sure whatever it is is legal in cali, like if its a glock with 17 round mags you'll have to ask the seller to not send those or substitute them with 10 rounders.

8. ahead

ahead New Member

ok cool thanks guys

9. ahead

ahead New Member

oh yea one more question.

to purchase a handgun in CA i have to pass a safety test, does anyone know where these tests are taken? i cant find any info other than that they are required, and im currently stuck at home because of an accident so i cant make my way to a gun shop to check out the guns and ask these questions. thanks for the help

10. at the gun shop. here's the handguide http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf

almost anyone can pass without studying. i got 28 out of 30. it costs $25 for the license.

check here for FFL fees http://gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp

play with the gun before you buy it though. i held a usp compact and glock 19 today. neither fit my hand right. the guy at the store also kept his finger on the triggers and kept pointing the guns at me :ugh:

11. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

Thats retarded. The price is the same. Why would it be more in CA? You just have the gun shipped to a FFL and you're done

12. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

From numerous posts on here people saying what they paid in CA if they buy them there, the gun prices are always higher :dunno:

13. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

Go to any gun shop. The law stated that they can only charge $25 for the test...so if they try to charge you anything more than $25 tell them to f themselves and go somewhere else.

14. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

Nope, of course its more if you buy it from a shop compared to some place online. The only thing that would make it more is we don't have stores like Acadmey so it's either a sporting goods store, gun shop, or online.

15. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I did exactly what you were thinking about doing, I bought my G19 from topglock.
    The main things you need to know: The gun has to be shipped to an FFL. Obviously you should talk to the FFL first to make sure its ok and see how much they are going to charge you. Figure about 10% to the FFL but ask to be sure. Next, the gun has to be legal, and you have to have a DOJ approved safety device. You should also be aware that you need to pay the DROS fee, its $25 I think. You also need a handgun safety certificate, another $25 fee unless you have an exemption such as being military or LEO and such. Once all those requirements are met you fill out the paperwork at the FFL, then wait 10 days, then its yours.