Purchasing a HD-DVD Player... But where?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mike00, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Well settlement on the condo is Thursday and after the announcement from Paramount after buying a new Panasonic TH-42PZ700U and a new polk audio surround sound theatre I figure I may as well buy HD-DVD player to go with it.

Especially since I see Top Gun will be released in September and one of the first movies I wanted to play on there was Top Gun to show the gf the value in the surround sound we got plus she somehow has never seen the movie.
    Now all that being said at this point I think the Toshiba HD-A20 1080p HD DVD Player. I heard amazon is selling the player cheapest but Best Buy was offering similiar price + two free HD DVD's instantly?

If so I'm thinking I'll run over to best buy this weekend and pick it but was hoping to find out if there are better places to buy before I do.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

to showcase surround sound watch saving private ryan

PS read EDU

never buy from BB or CC

im not keeping up on the HD wars as i dont care about them currently so im hoping someone else can recommend a model

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

The A20 is pretty new and does 1080p. Toshiba has the XA2 that is 1080p and hdmi 1.3 which supports deep color. That might be something to take advantage of since your tv also has hdmi 1.3.

As stated, definitly buy online vs BB or CC.

I haven't jumped on one side yet, but I'm waiting for the new Denon Blu-ray players to come out and see if that sways me.

Onecall has the A20 for $324.99. I think the player is around $399 @ best buy.
    http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=86557#

4. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

You know I did see the A20 for 319 at a store online for avsforum. however I've been reading about the XA2 (I've avoided HD/Blu Ray for long time now) and it seems like it's a pretty large jump in quality and Best Buy Magnolia has it for 499 which is better then I've found online and 2 free HD discs.

5. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Best Buy has the XA2 for $499? MSRP is $799...if thats true thats a good deal.

6. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Edit: Just got mine they sold it to me for 499 but the 2 free instant dvd deal was gone so that kind of sucked. However if they offer it within 30 days again they will give it to me and 60 days on price match. Not a bad deal at all.

Apparetly it's mainly the magnolias that have it but some best buys have been carrying them in some areas.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=8259573

Said's coming soon but apparently sales reps are selling it anyway.

I'm running over to one local one now and if they don't have I'll call a few others I know of see if they do.

500 for that unit plus 2 instant HD DVD's is a really damn good deal.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

that is pretty cheap

8. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

Im hoping to pick up the XA2 from BB this week

9. Mac Man

Mac Man New Member

My Xbox 360 HDDVD player works pretty well.

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

PS: :mamoru: @ HD DVD

11. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

I've stayed away from picking up a player for awhile now a common mistake I'll make I'm sure.

On the other hand I'll end up going format neutral in the end when I get a PS3 but shrug I don't see how blu ray can win in the end when they cost more money to make.

Shrug oh well now to Amazon to buy 300 and some other good HDDVD's. Saving Private Ryan will be one I suppose.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  12. Ronin

Ronin Guest

When they remastered SPR they really filled out the surround channels.

13. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Good to know. So should I be looking to use an optical cable for my comcast box and HDDVD player to run to the receiver or are there better audio options? Running a Yamaha RX-V661 Reciever if that helps at all. And using HDMI for the video of course.

14. Ronin

Ronin Guest

optical/coax either should work fine

15. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Great just ordered from firefold.

Can't wait to get the system together next week when we settle and see how it all comes together took awhile but I think I pieced together a decent first HT for me and the woman:

Panasonic TH-42PZ700U
    HDAX2
    Yamaha RX-V661
    RTI8 Floorspeakers,
    FXI3 Surround Sound Speakers
    CSI3 Center
    PSW10 Sub
    Harmony 1000

16. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i probably wouldve gotten something with better shielding/heavier duty than what firefold sells :dunno: but i like to blow money

let us know how everything works out

17. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Edit: just realized your talking about the digital audio aren't you? It's a 3 foot cable in a seperate entertainment system off to the side. I guess I'll see how that works out but if it doesn't sound good what would you recommend?

It's what people recommended shrug. I'll take a look in about a week in a half and see how it is. All cables are 3 foot except for a 15 foot cable. If it turns out with degrading quality I'll upgrade but shrug my understanding with digital is it generally doens't matter.

Time will tell though.

18. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i get beefier cables so if I walk on them/throw/yank etc they wont break