Purchasing a car

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by auero, Nov 7, 2007.

1. auero

auero word.

I'm looking into purchasing a car and I've always had my eye set on a GTI, however... I've driven my uncles GTO and I do like a lot. I'm looking to spend ~20K. Since I'm putting out all this money I always had my mind set on a new car vs. used. Anyone give their input on reliability with pontiac.

I've heard good things but nothing about the GTO. I want to start researching before I throw my money out the window. Perhaps other recommendations? I'm looking for sporty and fast but nothing that will make my insurance company bug out.

2. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

You can't beat the value of a used GTO if you're looking for performance. You don't have to worry about their reliability.

3. Smelly-Kitten

Smelly-Kitten Dept. of Redundancy Department *Side Pipes

at 20k i usually recommend a 05/06 mustang GT, but if you can pick up a goat for the price you'd be insane not to

4. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

GTO will be more reliable than a GTI

5. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

20k would buy a low mileage goat the way they have fallen in value.

6. Supernoma

Supernoma servus publicae OT Supporter

20K will get a low mileage 04, 23K should get a nice 05

7. auero

auero word.

Insurance in Jersey for a mustang is really high for some reason. A lot of people have them around here, I'm sick of seeing them.

I'll look into it more, I'll prob be able to shell out a little more money. Thanks all for the advice so far.

8. Axles Of Evil

Axles Of Evil New Member

i picked up my GTO for under 20k. its an 04. Ive since put on catless long tube headers and all the other bolt ons. heads/cam coming soon.

My advice, GET ONE . My insurance is only 1500 a year with Geico

I love my GTO. If you want, shoot me a PM and i'll give you some good resources and things to look out for. Where in jersey are you from ? Im down in cherry hill.

edit. and if you are paying all out of pocket, i highly recommend an 04. I could have gotten an 05-6 and still got my 04 and have never regreted it.

9. auero

auero word.

That's good news. I'm just really picky when it comes to things and all this is paying out of pocket by me so I'm a little skeptical about buying a car that depreciates in value so fast. I've been looking at forums and notice is very uh non-economical. I do a decent amount of driving. Most of my day consists of short little trips usually for work. (real estate, but I'm not driving people around, its commercial)

Insurance is about 250 for my a month either way. I'm going to be turning 20 and you know how that bit goes in Jersey, insurance is f'in insane.

I'm up north by the shore in Ocean County :wavey:

10. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

It's already depreciated. They've hit rock bottom. You shouldn't have any problem getting a fair resale. I don't know what you mean by saying they aren't economical, if you're looking to get 40mpg you shouldn't be looking for a performance oriented car.

11. Axles Of Evil

Axles Of Evil New Member

cars like the GTO and mustangs etc will never have high resale based solely on the fact that 1- they are NOT rare no matter who says what. and 2- the general idea behind owning one is to drive the balls off it. the guy that had mine before me whipped on it pretty hard the suspension was a little beat up. but i planned on replacing it anyway. now it drives better than new.

i get about 13mpg around town with my long tubes and tune etc. which isnt so bad, i used to get 8 in my truck, so its all relative to me.

did you say you do commercial real estate ? if yes, you really need to PM me lol.

12. auero

auero word.

Well of course not 40MPG, however I'm not looking for completely shitty mpg.

13. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

LSX engines get about as good as gas mileage as possible for a high horsepower application.

Shrug if the GTO doesn't fall into the right range I think you need to move on over to a economy car like a camry.

14. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

my friend gets about 25 on the freeway and 17 in the street on his 06....

he loves it..

and fuck paying 250 a month for insurance i pay 75 a month for my clk mercedes.... and paid 100 a month for my 03 cobra I had.

15. Axles Of Evil

Axles Of Evil New Member

some camry's are pretty badass looking surprisingly enough...

I almost went with a lighting or a trailblazer ss... so compared to those im getting great mileage in my GTO.

16. auero

auero word.

Good luck getting that in jersey. Insurance is horrible over here.

17. red97gst

red97gst New Member

you're not gonna get great rates on a car that's RWD with 400hp. but get a quote for the 04 and 05/06 (04 will be less of course) and see where it takes you. Quote a few different cars in one sitting (or phone call) and figure out the budget...My prediction is you'll shit your pants when you get the quote for the GTO and end up in a 1 year old GTI. If you do, and plan on keeping the car past warranty period, get an extended warranty. VW electronics FTL

As far as buying new, that's not a good financial decision. ESPECIALLY if youre buying German or American. How long do you plan to keep the car? I'd only buy brand new if I was keeping the car for 8-10 years or something...

Have you driven the GTI? The question is, how "Fast" is fast to you? If you can live with a car that runs 14's or something, then get a FWD car like a turbo mazda, civic si, or whatever else is hot these days. Hell, even a used 350Z might interest you :dunno:

However, if the prospect of getting smoked by a Saturn Aura XR family car upsets you, and you want to have power w/o a voided warranty, you'll need a V8. Also check out 03-04 Cobras. Half the car is ancient and garbage, the other half is ejaculation

18. Axles Of Evil

Axles Of Evil New Member

i think insurance on a 350Z will be just as high as a GTO. Just because its foreign and still RWD, a "high performance" car etc etc etc.... hell my friends 323i costs almost double what my GTO does to insure... no joke.

But then again. a supercharged civic or a VW R32 could be a nice car to have... or even a Neon SRT4 ( american, cheap AND fast)