Purchase to Restore a 1959 Silver Cloud 1

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by amdspitfire, May 28, 2009.

1. amdspitfire

amdspitfire New Member

I'm thinking of purchasing a 1959 silver cloud 1 to restore. Some body prep work has been done but the owner isn't planning on finnishing it. The car has 33,678 miles and the engine hasn't ran for 7yrs. It is RHD.

The body is sanded down and needs more prep work before paint. Unfortunately I don't have the exterior pics but here are some of the interior. It is in overall decent shape for it's age.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How it should look when complete:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Car is offered for $4k, I dont plan on flipping it but I also don't want to sink money into something I can't get my money back on. I plan to do all the engine and paint prep work myself just have somebody do the spray.

What are your thoughts on a value perspective and overall restore on a Bentley?

2. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

this project willeat your money

3. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

I wouldn't touch it unless I was willing to invest significant time and money into the project. A respray and retrim of the interior will most likely cost atleast 15k if done correctly.. perhaps more.

4. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

I like it. It would be a good cruiser with a chevy engine and transmission and not that snotty inline 6. If you upgraded to cheap American power it would make it so much more enjoyable.

5. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

The engine is not the only part of the car that will need work. I'm sure the rest of the car is full of issues. The entire driveline will most liklely need a teardown/rebuild. Cars like these are best left for people with a passion for them who will bring it back to its original glory and not care when they spend 15x the initial cost of the car.