Pur/cave/filmy:In terms of volume/intensity when cutting

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by therealdeal, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

I'm thinking lower reps higher weight, So like 3 sets of 5-8 reps? I'm just thinking of switching my routine while cutting because I'm not sure I'm going to be able to effectively do the one I'm on due to lowered energy levels. As well, would you stick with all compound movements like in the Chris routine, or would you take some main ones from that routine and do supporting isolation work?

2. Grouch

Grouch Guest

why are you cutting in the first place. You have nothing to cut to. There is no reason to change your routine.

3. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

How would you know when I need to cut?

4. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

Why would that question be directed towards cavefish? :p

5. Grouch

Grouch Guest

becuase you've posted a number of times about how you are 5-7 and 150lbs

6. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

No I haven't. Perhaps you have me confused with someone else.

7. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Because he knows way more than the peanut gallery that likes to give advice here.

8. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Yeah I'm hardly an authority on cutting here, but I've been keeping things pretty heavy and steadily losing weight while my strength continues to go up.

See my log for more info, but I keep things simple. A couple of heavy compound movements, then more typical 6-10 rep sets depending on what kind of lift I'm doing.

9. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

I was just fucking with you :hs:

10. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

So you've just kept up with your compound heavy routine?

Man the last week I've felt so fatigued at the gym and I've just started maintaining. My strength gains have come to a near stop, but I dont think I'm losing muscle, I just feel fatigued.

11. cavefish

I know, but I'm not really in a great position to give people diet advice since I'm still somewhat of a fatty myself, although I have a good deal of knowledge on the subject. I'm working on it though.

12. cavefish

Whats your current weight and bf% right now? Make sure you're getting enough rest too. I like to try to concentrate my carbs around pre and post-workout.

I personally like to keep it heavy while dieting to help preserve mass. I've talked with Pur about it before and he said he doesn't change anything about his training, just his diet.

13. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

I'm about 5'3, 140, I would guess between 16-20%, although I'm really just guessing. Judging from Shamrock's progress post I would say I have about 10-15lbs of fat to lose, 15 being high end I think, but again, its all just guesstimations.

Certainly rest could be a factor, I find I can personally never get enough, so I think youre right, I need to put in more rest time. As far as I can tell, I'm getting lots of carbs, lots in terms of cutting anyway.

Maybe I'll just keep at it and see where I go. It seemed a little easier today, but I cut the sets down on my squats to 3, even though I had barely any weight it just felt heavy.

14. cavefish

Cutting at 140 seems a bit extreme but if you're 5'3 I guess that explains that. Are you male or female?

15. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Male. I've put on 25lbs in the last 4 months. Someday it would be nice to be around 140 cut, but that will take a while. For now I've grown out of a few pairs of pants so I'd rather just cut.

16. incubimmer

incubimmer New Member

are you done growing or are you a kid? jw cuz 5'3'' is pretty damn short and i generally wouldnt advise kids to start lifting until they are done growing.

17. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

I'm pretty sure 22 year olds are done growing.

18. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

if you aren't preparing for a show or doing it for wrestling, then don't cut.

19. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I disagree.

But to the original question. Christophers and Pur actually had a discussion about this. On this point I might actually lean towards chris' low volume/ heavier weight side though originally I agreed more with Pur. I found high volume far more taxing. At least for myself.

20. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

I think the choice is obvious. Low intensity and high volume. Do you really believe that you can sustain the energy to endure heavy weights even at low reps? and BTW 5-8 isn't 'low'. Low is 3-5 is low.

If you are dieting for what ever reason, your energy levels are going to be depleted somewhat. Either from "drastically" or "mildly" either way you won't have the weight, strength or energy to remain consistant.

hit between 10-12-+ reps with 30 seconds rest. You will both maximize your muscle growth and increase your heart rate.

Working out while dieting is a sure ego buster. When you're struggling with teh 50's on db bench you'll see what I"m talkig about.

21. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

:werd: to ego buster :wtc:

22. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

So both of you guys are leaning towards more reps, around 10-12, while cutting?

23. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

they have conflicting viewpoints. timberwolf is saying that he agrees with low volume/heavy weight. using heavy weight will make you go with a smaller rep range. filmy is saying low intensity/high volume. he doesn't think you'll be able to use heavy weights when you're in a calorie deficit.

24. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Possibly my heavy isn't heavy enough, and my light/ volume isn't light enough. Anyway today was volume day and my ears were popped after 8 sets of pullups and before I completed 8 sets of hanging pushups.

25. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

for me yes. I can't get heavy weights for any reps. the 120's laugh at me 3 weeks out from a show :hs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.