Puppet

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Anyone using Puppet for configuring/building servers on the fly? A lot of you are admins with a lot of machines to manage, and I'm curious about your experience: http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet

Heard a talk by the primary Puppet author, and I definitely want to play with it. The way you can boot a different server based on different conditions is really impressive.

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You can boot a server and then decide what it will be based on complex rules! How cool is that? Say your cluster is under load and then you boot a server to handle it. Do you need a mail server? Do you need another database slave?

Wanna edit properties of every server you run at once? Wanna reconfigure them all to do different things?

But the key is that you can reproduce your servers and version your puppet code just like you would source code. So then you can change/reproduce your system images in a reproducible way with no "black box" "golden images."

Kinda nice, since bigger systems require a lot of OS level customization, etc. You need version control on your images too.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

yeah, it looks slick as hell. i just don't have the time these days to figure it out.