GUN pump release question on 870 and 7615

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AVengeance, Jan 12, 2009.

1. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

First, let me say I love my new toyz. I bought a 7615 SPS ranch carbine (16.5" bbl, .223 cal.) pump action rifle, and a 870 tactical shotty, with ghost ring sight. I've already tossed a pistol grip forend on the shotty, and have adjustable stocks ordered for both. They're a his/hers pair, and the wifey loves 'em.

Anyway, I'm none too happy with the location and feel of the pump release on both of these guns (the little trigger thing that releases the pump so you can cycle the action- sorry if I'm using the wrong term). I have an older 12ga. that has the release at the rear of the trigger. These new guns both have the release in front of it. WTF? How can you cycle fast like that? They're also pretty tiny, and difficult for my younger son and my wife to engage- the one on the old shotty I have is thicker metal. These are both very thin, and kinda bite into your finger, making them difficult to depress fully. Anyone else found this troublesome? Solutions? I was thinking about attaching a small knurled screw, like you find on one-handed knives, or maybe finding a little slip-on rubber grip, if I could find one small enough (maybe a vacuum cap?). I figure these can't be removed, since the round would blow the action back without it, right? I can't imagine being able to depress the release all the way with a gloved hand, since the padding in the glove would keep it from being pressed in enough, because the damn thing is so thin.

Any suggestions?

2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I remember seeing a larger one for sale but I can't find the damn thing.

3. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

That is the only reason I chose a mossberg over a remington

4. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

5. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

That might be what I'm looking for. I wonder what kind of PITA that is to install?

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

drop the trigger group and check it out. it can't be that hard once you get it out.

of course, i dont know if they're the same for the 870 as the 76xx. im sure its worth taking a look at.

7. sprite

sprite Active Member

Just so you're clear... the action is only locked when the bolt is closed and the hammer is cocked. In other words, pulling the trigger also releases the action... so it is not like you will need to activate the action release after every shot. In most cases you will only need to manually work the action release to chamber your first round, or to empty it out.

A lot of use keep our pump actions "cruiser ready", which is hammer down on an empty chamber with a full magazine tube. This way the action is already released, so when you want to chamber a round you simple cycle the pump without needing to worry about the action release.

8. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I'm trying to think of a practical scenario where you would want to dry cycle a cocked gun quickly more than once?

9. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

O'really? Okay, my old shotgun is... well, it's old, and some off-brand. It's also a pump-action 12ga like my new ones. I have to depress that button EVERY time I want to cycle a round. Are you saying with the 870, I'll only have to do that for the first round I fire? I honestly haven't shot the thing yet- :hs: I just picked it up, and haven't gotten outside to play- been sick, and too damn cold.

So, if I dry-fire it, it will trigger the action release?

10. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Maybe the old shotgun I have is what's causing this confusion. I'm under the impression I have to press that little button every time. In my old shotty, I do. Maybe something in there's broke, if on the 870 I just have to do it to cycle the 1st round. :dunno:
    Sucks to have brand new guns to shoot, and feel like crap the whole weekend and not go out and shoot them.:wtc:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  11. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Yeah, you only have to cycle to down-load or to otherwise chamber on an unfired round.

I'm not sure how the 76xx works but on the 870 you only have to cycle down one time and you can unload the rest using the shell capture bar or whatever it's called inside the receiver.

12. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

if you fire it at all, dry or otherwise, it will release.

13. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Wow :rofl: So there's either a design difference with my old shotgun, or it's just broke. Whenever I fire it (dry or live round) I still have to depress the action release to cycle it. It could just be a difference in design. I just don't have much experience with shotguns. I'm sure the 7615 and the 870 will work the same way- they're practically the same gun, with a much bigger hole in the go-boom end.

14. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

You should only have to depress the button to pump the gun while the hammer is cocked.

Whenever the hammer is down, as when you've just fired a round, you should be able to work the pump action without depressing the action lock.

15. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

way to say whats been said about 5 times

and to the OP, yeah, you have a strange or otherwise fucked shotgun

16. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

Wat

How do you do this?

17. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Open your action, take shell out. Look in there and you'll see the mechanism that keeps the shells in the magazine tube. Depress. Watch shells come out. Win.

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

standby for pics.

19. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

20. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I always pinch my fingers on that thing somehow :rofl:

<---tard

22. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

It's not quite so fumbly when you do it correctly (right side up). :o

23. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

:rofl: Thanks, I am gonna have to try that.

24. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Me 2 :wtc: (but only on the 870 - on my old shotty, it seems like there's more room there...)

Okay, so I took both shottys- my old brand-x 12ga and my new zombie-killing 870 Tac- outside for a run with some water jugs and old boxes. My youngest son has been bugging me to shoot the new scary one, so okay, here we go. Old shotgun has release at rear of trigger (basically the safety and release are swapped in position from the 870). The release needs to be pressed each time a round is cycled. Can't really see all of the mechanism since it's back further than on the 870, so I don't know if it's by design or if it's a malfunction. Either way, I'm ok with it. The button is thicker material and easier to press than on the 870. It's just an old hunting gun anyway. It's got a decent choke, and I can kill pheasant or turkey with it just fine. Because it's choked, and the choke isn't a removable tube (integral with bbl), I wanted something I could shoot alternative rounds and slugs out of with no ill effect, which was the point of the 870. Okay, so the 870 does NOT need the release depressed after the first round is fired (nor does the 7615). Everything's cool, and apparently I was just a dumbass for not having shot enough guns in my life to know that on pumps, you only need to push the release button once. But hey, what do I know :dunno:

Anyway, test successful. I can fire that 7615 almost as fast as my AR15 (actually hitting the target every time anyway :mamoru:). Pump action is much better than bolt for squeezing off multiple rounds, esp. for me, since I shoot lefty. Pics of collection coming soon. I'm still waiting on my matching AT adjustable buttstocks for both new guns. They're a matching his/hers set. The 870 has ghost-ring sights, and the 7615 has a scope. Just need a new scope for my AR now.

25. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

You learn something new every day... To unload... I've always just held down the slide release and pumped out the shells... This sound a lot easier...

As others have said in this thread... Pulling the trigger releases the action.. The only time you need to push in the manual release is when you want to release the action and not have to pull the trigger first...