GUN Puma 1892--levergun crew, get in here

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GarandBobcat, Jun 6, 2009.

1. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

So I saw a .44Mag 1892 lever-action at my local friendly Big 5 the other day. $500. I have to say, I've heard a lot of positive things about the '92 types, but somehow $500 seems a little high.
    Anyone here ever had one? Reviews? Thoughts? talk me into or out of getting this rifle.
    The alternate is a Marlin 1894C in .357 Mag, though I would have to order that.

2. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

I held the puma .44mag, and the .454 caskull model. Both felt very solid however without shooting either I can't remark on the accuracy, but the trigger was decent (a little heavier than my 336 but broke clean) for the lower end of the 44mag price range it seems like a decent gun. Your price seems a bit high, I was working a deal to get both the .44 and .454 for around 700 for both. May have just been a fluke though.

I think I am going to hold out for a 336 or a henry big boy

3. bobotech

bobotech New Member

There is a reason why the Puma 92 can be found in the big calibers like 44mag and 454 casull. They are strong as hell.

If they could figure out how to stuff a 460S&W in the 92 action, I imagine that they would make one of those.

The 92 Pumas are very strong, very reliable. They aren't as smooth as a short stroked 66 or 73 but they can be made to feel like butter from a smith like Steve Young.

I have one and love it. I plan on getting a 45LC to go along with my pistols.

4. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

Looks like I'll be seriously considering getting the thing if it ever goes on discount--likewise for a .357 of either the Puma or the Marlin.

And yes, if I get the Puma, I'll probably put a couple hundred rounds through it and then consider sending it to Kiowa or similar.

5. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I was looking for a Marlin 1894 in .357 for a bit, they're out of stock most everywhere. Ended up with a Marlin 336 in 30-30.