MIL Pullups?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Martin Atchet, Oct 28, 2006.

1. So I thought I was in shape until I tried to do pull ups (the correct way). I could only get like 6 full range, from a dead hang. Ugh I got a lot of work to do.

My goal is to be able to do 18-20. How many can you guys do, and how did you get there, just repetition.

2. pyramid workout sounds good I will give that a go.

I feel so worthless, I just recently found out how to do them the right way. I have been doing them half assedly for a while now apparently.

3. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

Look up the Armstrong pull up plan. I started at 12 and got to 20 in about 4 weeks. I'm a pretty light, compact guy though. I do about 22 now and just do like a 3 max sets, two or three times a week to maintain. I also lift weights so that probably helps maintain.

4. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

pull ups, when I think of a pull up I think of it as a back exercerse (palms facing away) but when I think of the military I think of palms facing tword me making it more Bi's.

which on you guys talking about

5. I'm talking facing away. Also I am pretty light and compact too and lift weights. Just need to get better at pullups.

Thanks for the input.

6. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

pyramid workout for the max fucking lose
    that shit is like torture
    dont take my word for anything on this subject but i would only do that shit if i was preparing for some kind of special program, IE rangers, special forces, etc

7. I wouldn't mind doing special forces.

But I am doing it so I can be in shape for a summer thing with the Marines. Platoon Leadership Course.

8. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

I got 20 pull ups in Iraq by working out my back muscles ... lower, upper, lats n all that bullshit ... all that crap they say about muscle memory is bullshit ... get stronger muscles and you'll be pumping out 20 easy

9. GET GOT

GET GOT Rectum Wrecker

Listen to the Jarhead.

10. spook

spook OT Supporter

See you there. I'm doing pull-ups three times a week now along with my regular lifting.

11. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

pyramids with a set of pushups inbetween is what I always did.

12. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

13. Awesome! I have a PFT tomorrow hopefully after I get done with all this stupid MEPS stuff.

Good luck dude we can PM each other for further details if you want, if not good luck until then.

Edit: Also thanks everyone for their input.

brackac that navy SEALs workout seems pretty good.

14. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

my arms are approximately 9 feet long. they don't make a pullup bar tall enough to keep me from hitting the ground :mamoru:

that being said, I can pump out maybe 3.

15. Haha I actually have to go to Ft. Meade Thursday mikdavi.

NISMOTom and TehKing I just started the pyramid today. I have cut down on the heavy weight and just benched 3 sets with a plate on each side. Pushups, pull ups, dips.

Another thing should I stop working out before a PFT? Or just keep up what I normally do and hope I'm not sore? This is just an initial PFT to see where I'm at.

16. dumbaznboy

dumbaznboy New Member

im also prepping for PLC...although i think you guys prob have a lot less to work on than i do, but even so, i plan on going into the prog, and making it through.

17. gkremian

gkremian New Member

Yeah, you want at least 24 hours of rest and very light exercise before a PFT. Use those 24 hours to go for a light run, and stretch to keep yourself loose. Make sure that you are eating protein ~72 hours in advance and carb load for the entire week. Food really won't make much of a difference the night of, but eating right the week before always seems to give me way more energy for PFTs.

18. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Ladders work. 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, etc.

Do them with a partner. You do 1, he does 1 while you rest. You do 2, he does 2 while you rest, and so on.

Or, if you're doing them by yourself, just rest the amount of time it took you to do them.

1, rest for as long as it took you to do 1
    2, rest for as long as it took you to do 2
    3, " " 3
    1, " " 1

etc.

19. I just keep doing bench because before I was interested in this PLC program I lifted weights. I just keep at it because I like how I look as gay as that sounds haha. I have lowered my weight though and added higher reps.

20. spook

spook OT Supporter

For sure. Clean out that inbox

21. Emptied.

22. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

what time will you be at meade?