Pullups...go all the way down?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by maks, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

I noticed alot of people that rep pullups only go 1/2 way to 3/4 of the way down. Each rep probably only takes 1sec. Going 1/2 way is pretty bullshit :squint: but 3/4 looks like it targets the back muscles well.

I've been going all the way down and take about 3 seconds per rep.

Which is the best way to do a pullup...in terms of developing strength and muscles?

2. meervincent

meervincent New Member

full rom

3. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I'd assume greater range of motion = greater muscle/strength development. I could be wrong though.

4. Original

Original OT Supporter

I see people do 20 pullups with a 35 pound weight in like 20 seconds and that's exactly why.

5. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

takes me about 3 seconds to do a pullup rep too.

6. macro

macro New Member

really depends on your joints and joint angles, for some people extending fully places more strain on the shoulder joint also full range often actually takes tension off the lats in this case.

full ROM where lats are fully engaged is the reccomended ROM, at least for muscular development. For absolute strength it may not be, again it depends on the joints and joint angles.

7. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

Thanks everyone.

Working my lats without damaging joints were pretty much my main concern. I've been checking out some youtube videos and i think i found a good solution for now. I'm going to go full ROM but i just won't lock out my elbows at the bottom.

8. TZ

TZ Banned

he posted on one of his videos hes releasing a training dvd, and hes putting 225 for 20 reps on db rows on there...lol

9. macro

macro New Member

that squat is an injury waiting to happen, there is a pretty strong tilt on the first set. there is only so long that you can get away with that (still impressive though)

strong on the pull ups, not the most amazing form (with some kip) but for the reps and bodyweight still very impressive.

10. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

11. macro

macro New Member

its not the forward lean its the pelvic tilt and shift of the weight, look more closely.

12. meervincent

meervincent New Member

did you not know? anyone with a computer and at least basic knowlege of anything can be an expert on ot ;)

13. macro

macro New Member

1. not trying to advise anyone, just making comments on his form. Which is likely to cause injury. How likely will of course depend on a lot of factors, have seen people get away with a lot worse for a long time.

2. no, many atheletes, even elite ones, either are unaware or ignore the signs that injury may occur, until it does. and age just makes injury more likely, not less.

3. not really a smart argument, but there are certainly those that follow that paradigm, often to their chagrin. A back injury, the most likely possible injury in this case, can easily mean the end to a bright future in strength and power events. A smart athlete balances risk and reward, obviously at the peak levels of competition there are often risks of injury.

btw- for someone with an overabundance of opinions you seem to take great offense to anyone having a different one. Nobody was questioning his strength or accomplishment, not sure why you felt it necessary to give a "coaching elite lifters" speech, when no such coaching was offered. Merely a commentary on form, which in this case such tilt would generally increase risk of injury particularly over time.

normally in a direct discussion, should the person in question ask about his form, the reply would be "were you aware that your pelvis shifted and your left side dropped?". He might indeed be aware, perhaps a compensation for previous injury or hip alignment.... or he might not..

as a final note- whats rather amusing is that you did not even notice the issue with his form, yet feel confident in lecturing someone that did.

14. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

:eek3: :bigthumb:

15. macro

macro New Member

interesting comment for someone will nearly 12000 posts.

the only person e-arguing here is you, e-lecturing people based on a simple observational post. An observation that you failed to make.

note you asked the questions, if you dont like the answers. Dont ask.

16. lif

lif New Member

17. TZ

TZ Banned

:nono:

[​IMG]

18. SystematicRemix

SystematicRemix New Member

I lol'd when I read chagrin.

19. macro

macro New Member

its amusing how the truth about your lack of understanding of the flaw in his squatting technique, leads you inevitably to the same type of attacks.

you were wrong, get over it.

20. lif

lif New Member

im not here for the drama tho :o

21. macro

macro New Member

again, childish attacks. Classic against the ropes e-fighter move.

pretty sure that no supplements were mentioned, and since you stupidly bring them up. Supplementation has nothing to do with his form.

22. macro

macro New Member

there you go, feel better now?

23. macro

macro New Member

can you be more of an idiot?

once again WTF does this or any of the nonsense that you have been posting have to do with his lifting form?

24. TZ

TZ Banned

:bowrofl:

25. macro

macro New Member

this shows how little you know about either lifting or physiology. And the issue here is not the tilt itself, though that is a technical flaw. its the pelvic shift, from neutral to tilted DURING the movement. Which places tremendous shearing force on the spine.

well, off to the gym. you know to read instruction books and such. Will be sure to think of your input while doing weighted dips with 190lbs (bi/tri day). Have fun e-fighting.

and yes, do move weight and while not the heaviest squatter, certainly not elite competition level, have done 405 for reps. Rarely go over 315 these days. Have recently been going heavier on stiff legged deads, working sets at 405. Not that its particularly relevant, but you seem to think it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.