Pulling the motor out of the shoebox for a mild build...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by HooHooHowie, Jan 16, 2008.

1. HooHooHowie

HooHooHowie Uniballer

Decided to suck it up and do it. knock out a few things that I have wanted to do for a while to.

Plans:
    Forged pistons for piece of mind,
    Crower cams
    Crower valve springs/retainers
    Gasket matched ports on the heads with a LIGHT smoothing of the passages
    Upgraded timing belt (either STI (group N) or maybe power enterprises)
    Cosworth timing belt guide
    Cosworth windage tray
    Samco silicon inlet hose (since I will have the mani off it will be easy)
    TGV deletes
    Oil pressure gauge into the bung on the block (no sandwich adap FTW)
    OBX/whatever vacuum block (never have a real good vacuum source)
    Thermotec turbo wrap
    Wrap the up pipe
    Deatschwerks 760cc injects (750s but they are 758,758,756,760)
    Parallel fuel rail mod
    Possibly replace a lot/all the vacuum lines with braided lines (not shitty covers, actual braided fuel hose type but smaller for vacuum)
    Generall try to "clean up" the look of the engine compartment
    Legacy GT rear caliper brackets and rotors (stock calipers work. Makes the rear brake about 3/4 of an inch larger. Helps car squat under braking instead of dive)
    JDM 4 pot front calipers I already put on this week (they are like the 06-07 WRX, but with the "subaru" lettering molded into the caliper instead of painted on/decal/whatever it is) Fixed mount calipers FTW.
    245/40/18 Falken Azenis (omg these things are huge compared to the 225/45/17s the STI comes with. we put them next to each other, these dwarf the RE070s)
    18X8 Rota Formula Mesh (gold, look like BBS CHs)

Pics of said shoebox

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I managed to catch and pass a Cayman S that day :cool:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  2. cnred

cnred New Member

that looks pretty sick. i really like those with STi wheels on them though.

3. deuceforty

deuceforty between rupture and rapture

friends dont let friends drive on rotas

4. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

I love foresters. That is hot

5. HooHooHowie

HooHooHowie Uniballer

:ugh2:

Lets see here

Half the cost
    Almost as light
    Plenty strong

The downside is where?

Basically what I am saying is I know they arent Volks or somesuch wheel, but as soon as you want to give me 1500 bucks or so to add to the cost of the Rotas, I will be all over buying more expensive wheels.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  6. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

not that hard when they don't know they are racing :hsugh:

7. FrozenSTi

FrozenSTi This site WILL get me in trouble......

Wish I had the know-how and guts for such a build.
    Very nice, post up with updates.

8. E-dub

E-dub New Member

What turbo/boost are you planning to use?

Are you planning to run pump? Pump+meth injection? Race gas?

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Too much flash on the outside of that car. Do the rebuild, but ditch the red lugs and the STi stickers and the decorative spoiler on the hatch. That thing screams "I'm a kid with pockets made of gold and a foot made of lead, pull me over before I kill someone."

Not saying you drive like that, but that's what it says.

10. HooHooHowie

HooHooHowie Uniballer

Or with roughly 380-400wtq, a very well setup suspension, fairly sticky tires, a bunch of track experience and 5 seasons of autocrossing. (in which I won my class twice at a local level)

Not saying its the best track car in the world or that I am some crazy skilled driver, but your post alone shows you are one of the people who believes the hype. The Cayman S is incredibly over rated. Go drive a GT3 some time then tell me the cayman is something special lol. Its certainly a very nice and VERY well engineered high performance car, but its not the holy grail that people make it out to be. Stock for stock nothing but the STI in the subaru line can hold a candle. But my FXT is far from stock and I know how to set them up. :)

I will say this, I was (at the time) on stock pads/rotors/calipers with only stainless lines and ATE super blue (which is not great track fluid) and if the chase would have taken even 2 more laps I woudnt have got him. My brakes were seriously starting to protest by that point lol. I now have JDM subaru 4 piston front calipers and am ordering stoptech slotted front and rear rotors with Hawk HPS pads (not a great track pad, but better than stock, and AWESOME on the street) on the rear I am going to the legacy GT rotor setup which is about 3/4 of an inch larger. That will help with track use. I will definately need track pads if I end up tracking the car more as one track day pretty much nukes a set of HPSs.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  11. HooHooHowie

HooHooHowie Uniballer

I run a business selling import performance parts. It needs the flash, its advertising. Once my website is fully up and running its going a LOT flashier, full graphics down the sides and hood At least a big logo and business name with the URL and phone number. The spoiler is OEM, for christ sake they even put that on the LL Bean edition forester :rofl: More flash=more noticed=more people calling me for parts. I have spoken to a bunch of vendors and shop owners and they all said the same thing. I dont attract police attention because other than the amount of speeding that pretty much everyone does, I generally drive within the law, so I am not really sweating that aspect.

Im 34 and balding, I dont see anyone looking at me and thinking I am a kid lol.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  12. HooHooHowie

HooHooHowie Uniballer

Its a TD05-20G 8cm
    SMC alcohol injection
    External wastegate
    24PSI on the "big" map 12-14PSI on the daily map. With those cams I should make the same power at about 12 PSI that I made at 15 or so PSI, and my normal daily driver map was 16.5PSI, so I figure I will end up with the daily driver map in the 13.5 or thereabouts PSI range. I dont spray the alch until I pass wastegate boost, so it doesnt spray till 12.5ish PSI anyway. My high boost map up until now has been 20PSI. I was starting to work on a 23PSI map when I decided that the motor wouldnt reliably hold it. At 22PSI it spun the tires from a roll in 2nd gear pretty much every time. With the TD05 I get faster spool than I would with a TD06, but instead of losing the peak power like you normally would, I lose nothing because of the EWG taking so much of the exh gas out of the picture. If I am losing anything its only at the very top end and its less than 5whp.

I will have to exercise some bigtime restraint once its back in because I cant make that 24PSI map with this setup until I do a tranny (Im going to do PPG helicals 1-4 with billet shift forks for 1-2 and 3-4 and an OEM 5th gear).

13. HooHooHowie

HooHooHowie Uniballer

I only have 80% of the know how. I am having a local master tech (actually subaru just rated him as the best in the south or something like that) put the pistons in and set the heads up. I can do it with OEM stuff, but this is going to be a tighter tolerances type deal and I want to KNOW its done 100% as good as it can be.

Otherwise its not THAT hard. Subbie motors come out pretty easily. My biggest problem will be remembering where all the lines/hoses/wires go

14. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

misread your post, thought it said on the freeway :o

As for the Cayman, I don't think it is the holy grail. I think it could have been, but the accountants that ended up building the car fucked it up to much for it to really ever have a chance.

And you think that anyone is going to let a 20 year old with a lead foot drive a GT3? Think again. Plus, I like my 240Z :wiggle:

15. HooHooHowie

HooHooHowie Uniballer

I want a 240 SO bad. no I wont trade :p

Id trade my MSM for one in the right shape though :bigthumb:

It wouldnt make a whole lot of a difference what I did to the FXT, I wouldnt take one of those on the very top end regardless. There is a dude down here making a good 50whp more than I was and he only hits 156. The fxt is just shaped like a brick. Up to about 120 I think I would take him. Hes got less power and he also gets the AWD parasitic loss. Beyond that I think the shape of the FXT would hold me back. Subarus arent super top end cars anyway. The dude down here with a like 480whp STI is only running like 179, the Cayman S does 171 stock. (dont know if it would hit that in a standing mile though)

Lets face it, neither of them will ever be a supercar like the 350Z:rofl::rofl::rofl:

16. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Once I fix my throttle cable I'll be making about the power at the wheels that a 350Z will, and I'll have 800lbs on it :wavey:

17. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

Dude....

Thas fucking hot, leave the exterior as it is.

18. E-dub

E-dub New Member

Right on. What are your power goals?

19. HooHooHowie

HooHooHowie Uniballer

@400wtq. Its really there now, but I want it to DEFINATELY be there, and I want it to be there at a little lower boost pressure, and over a wider powerband.

Once the gearbox is in, Im shooting for 440iswtq and high 11s in the 1/4, which has been done on a setup close to this. (it had a slightly bigger turbo, but no cams, internal wastegate and no alch injection)

I plan on pulling the motor again somewhere down the road and doing a 2.7L stroker kit with Darton sleeves, a rotated twin scroll GT30R and head work then shooting for 500whp on a conservative pump+alch tune. Thats a ways off (depends on how fast my business grows) because its about 10k in motor work and I will be going full standalone (probably HKS Fcon, maybe Hydra) which will be another 3k or so. I would do the stroker now, but its about 4k in parts and about 1500 in machine work just on the block.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  20. HooHooHowie

HooHooHowie Uniballer

I have mixed feelings on it. I love the way it looks now (just needs those 18s. I have them, just need to mount/balance the tires) but the fact is that a flashy car is good avertisement.

I am kind of into the idea of driving around in a show car, but at the same time, kind of not into it.

Either way, its got to happen. I wants to make MONEY!!!

21. deuceforty

the downside is here

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    heres a pair of cracked rotas
    [​IMG]
    heres a guy whos rotas cracked
    http://www.importsnc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28461

i can go on

22. HooHooHowie

HooHooHowie Uniballer

Yes but its REALLY rare. You have to look at it realistically.

1. There was a bad batch a few years back. This happens. I know of a few dozen people who had SSRs break due to a bad batch a couple years back. I have also seen broken BBS's. (really rare, but not many people run them either)
    2. There are 10X the amount of Rotas on the road than there are more expensive wheels. Obviously there will be more failures. If you look at it from a wheels sold to wheels failed ratio, they arent having any more problems than others.

I have been using rotas for years, I have 200+ autocrosses on rotas, I have rallycrossed them, I have done rally schools on them, and I have done track days on them AND hit BIG potholes with them. Not a single cracked wheel. 5 sets of them. I know at least 100 guys with them. No failures.

If one wheel company has 10,000 wheels on the road, and one has 100,000 wheels on the road, and the 10k wheels have had 100 wheels break, whereas the 100k wheels have had 1000 wheels break, yes the 100k wheels have had 10 times as many failures. OMG TEN TIMES AS MANY FAILURES! THEY MUST BE JUNK! not really, here is why. There are 10 times as many wheels on the road. The failure rates are identical between those 2 wheels.

Im just using that as numbers. The reality is that you can find multiple failures for ANY part out there. There are ridiculous amounts of people running rotas and you only hear about the ones that break. Its actually VERY rare.

Strong cheap light pick 2.

In the case of SSR comps, you can only pick "light" They arent cheap, they arent strong. If you run over a pebble they bend (ok thats an exageration but you get the point)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  23. HooHooHowie

HooHooHowie Uniballer

24. deuceforty

i understand your point..

if you really want rotas, PM me, one of my friends is one of the biggest rota distributor on the east coast, he can hook you up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. HooHooHowie

HooHooHowie Uniballer

The dude?

I get mine through oakos (I sell them) but I am always looking for a better deal:bigthumb: