Pulling a unibody sedan... how?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by CptlPunishment, Feb 25, 2005.

1. How would i go about pulling a unibody 97 taurus out of snow? Where do i attach the snatch strap? :squint:

FYI, the tow strap has two open ends, no hooks.

Reverse that too. How would i pull out, say,a jetta with that same 97 taurus? With the two open ends and all.

Keeping in mind i want to try not to damage anything.

2. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

Get underneath, there should be tow points somewhere.... not sure where they are on a taurus though...

3. kl

kl New Member

In the back of the Taurus there's a couple of tie down brackets used to chain the car down for transit to the dealers. Sometimes they don't remove them, and you can use them to pull one out. In the front you can wrap around a strong part of the sub-frame, that should be plenty strong, it's what carries the drivetrain and is bolted to the body.

4. greenbuggy

greenbuggy Guest

It really depends on the angle of incline when you're pulling a car out of the ditch. My dads V3500 ripped the front tie down bracket right out from underneath my friends 2000 Jetta, and I ended up using the front subframe to pull it out of the ditch.

5. giblit

giblit OT Supporter

i was pulling out a taurus not to long ago and there was a tow bar underneith kinda by the front axle. thats the best way i can explain it. worked pretty well.

6. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

my 91 sentra has a hook on the left side right under the bumper :dunno: ive used alot worse things to get it outta the snow than that.

the worst was when i pulled the ebrake in the snow to try to get it to spin around and ended up spinning it a few times and the getting STOPPED by soft dirt/grass/mud.....that wasnt as simple as: call friend with truck, get tow strap out of trunk, connect two ends, and drive truck.........:hs:

7. kl

kl New Member

Most European cars are required by law to have recovery hooks, so if there are American counterparts, sometimes they're there as well, or at least the holes/brackets are.