Pulled my G4 iBook apart :eek:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by skolen, May 7, 2007.

1. skolen

skolen Guest

I got this little 800mhz trooper for free from my soon-to-be-ex brother-in-law last year. It was stuck at a command prompt with a message I no longer remember. A target boot showed the contents were intact, but the drive was failing so I ran a repair and did a fresh install of 10.4.1 (forced through a target-boot off my G5).

It's run fine since, albeit a little sluggish due to the drive. But I finally found a decent deal on an 80Gb 5400rpm one on eBay for $40 and it should be here Tuesday/Wednesday. It was very easy to pop open the case and wasn't near as many screws as people say (I counted ~20).

Now the hard part is remembering how to put it back together. :o

2. Euclid

Euclid New Member

Did you get one of those repair guides online? You can get a PDF that shows how all of the little parts go together, it's like a reference manual for repair techs. Never used one myself though, good luck

3. skolen

skolen Guest

4. canIscream

canIscream Dog Crew is Best Crew

putting my 12" G3 iBook back together was quite the challenge. i was very careful and still had a couple parts left over. still worked. oh well. let me know how the install goes. i've thought of upgrading my HDD in my G4 a couple times.

5. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

It looks like more trouble than it's worth...I think I'd rather just pay someone to do it for me :o :(

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

gotta love the extra screws you have when your done reassembling it

7. skolen

skolen Guest

From looking at what I had to do I feel removing the bottom panel was completely unnecessary and a waste of time. I don't see how it connected to anything I had to remove on the top.

8. skolen

skolen Guest

Up and running. Drive came today and installed it w/no problems. And I can proudly say there are only 2 screws left, and I know where they go but was to far into it to pull it apart to use them in the correct places.

9. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBook-G4-12-Inch/83

just work it backwards