MIL PT Advice

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RoAcH CoAcH, Mar 10, 2009.

1. RoAcH CoAcH

RoAcH CoAcH Guest

Hopefully this will help future poolees as well.

I have 16 days to perfect my IST, however by my staff sgt demands PFT standards. I want to outperform all the other poolees who are smaller, which gives them an advantage to crunches and pull ups.

As far as running, i'm really good there, however 3 pull ups is still pretty strenuating as are the crunches.

I'm starting a regimen of break down pull ups and curls for the pull ups, but i'm not sure of any other way to perfect my crunches other than actually doing crunches. I do leg twirls which seem to help, but I could def use some advice.

I'd like to be squad leader (flame on) :hsd:

2. WildBull

WildBull Guest

you have a hard time doing 3 pullups and you want to be squad leader? What the fuck do you think the Marine Corps is? How long have you had to prepare to go to boot camp? What is your run time?

3. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

4. RoAcH CoAcH

RoAcH CoAcH Guest

Yeah I want to be a squad leader... I have prospects. Is it likely to happen, no, but at least i'm not just trying to make it into the Marines

I injured myself about a month ago and just started PT a couple weeks ago. When I first joined I was so out of shape I couldn't even do one fucking pull up. I'm not fat or anything, just a big guy who hadn't worked out in years.

Last IST I ran the 1.5 mile in 12:31. Not too shabby considering the PFT is 3 miles in 28:00.

Oh and thanks for the advice! Hope your waste of a reply will present better results in the gym tonight!

5. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Buy pullup bar, place in doorway at your house, do pullups every time you walk by it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Oh yeah, quit being a fatass.

7. Zee916

Zee916 Engineering the world.......

Start doing pullups 5 days per week.

I do Mon, Wed, Fri.... 1 max set and then drop 2 every time for 4 more sets.

Tu and Thur... I do weighted pullups w/ 20 lbs usually. 4 sets of about 6-8 depending on how I feel.

During the rest of my workout I'll go do weight assisted pullups, usually 25, in the middle and then to finish.

Take Saturday and Sunday off.

As far as running start doing interval training. 25-26 minutes is not fast at all for a 3 mile.

My last PFT I ran a 16:49 w/ a strained calf muscle.

Good luck but get those pullups up cause they are your money maker.

8. thekinggovernor

3 pullups and a fail on the run time, yes that makes you fat

9. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Do pyramids.

Also ensure you are doing the damn things correctly and not rushing them. It's no race.

Train your body right and when you go to do your PFT it will come easier.

10. WildBull

WildBull Guest

When do you go to Parris Island? I will be there on the 24th of April and I'll take pictures of you in PCP :mamoru:

11. thekinggovernor

:rofl:

12. RoAcH CoAcH

RoAcH CoAcH Guest

0-3 pull ups in 2 weeks is good.

1.5 mile in 12:31 is pretty decent multiple by 2 you get 25:02 which is almost 3 minutes under the PFT required time.

13. RoAcH CoAcH

RoAcH CoAcH Guest

Look at my location

14. RoAcH CoAcH

RoAcH CoAcH Guest

Will do. I was only doing them 2 times a week :hs:

15. RoAcH CoAcH

RoAcH CoAcH Guest

good advice. I did pyramid today and felt like I had to get it done as quick as possible. Once I got to 8 I was busted

16. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

Lat pulls/inverted lat pulls + a couple of pull ups a day

17. WildBull

WildBull Guest

You have to realize that you will slow down as you continue past 1.5 miles. Go run 3 miles tomorrow and tell me what time ya got. I bet you are 27+ minutes

18. burn__

burn__ New Member

in theory that works. but in practice you slow down dramatically after the half way mark if youre not used to running that distance.

19. RoAcH CoAcH

RoAcH CoAcH Guest

we run 4 miles a day.

I start to really feel it at about 3 miles. I'm going to time it tomorrow and see where i'm at

20. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

:hahano: :nono:

21. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

I remember one of my old 1SG put on some chains around his waist with some weight on it and did pull ups. Try that out.

22. Jbeanz

Jbeanz OT Supporter

+1

23. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

I got one of those too. Since you've also had shoulder surgery...how long did it take you to start doing pushups/pullups again?? It's been almost a year since mine and pullups still hurt like a mofo. Feels like something tearing in my shoulder. Pushups are ok, slowly getting back into form, but I wanna get back to being able to do pullups again, and the way this shit fells, it doesn't seem very hopeful. Thank God the AF doesn't require them for the test.

24. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Gee, almost forgot to address the OP's problem.

Pullups, do what brackac said. Buy the Iron Gym, hang it in your doorway, do as many as you can every time you go to walk under that fucker.

Crunches, do them, lots of them, and keep your form correct. Keeping good form works your muscles harder. No one is going to look at your form during the PFT, so you can slop around a bit and you should blow it away.

Oh, and by a lot, I mean A FUCKING LOT. If you're not doing at least 150 a day, you're not doing enough. You could also do them on an incline bench while holding a 45Lb plate. At least, that's what I've been doing. 4 sets of 50. Oh, and did I say DO THEM EVERY FUCKING DAY?? If not, I'll say it, DO THEM EVERY FUCKING DAY. UNTIL COMPLETE MUSCLE FAILURE!

And if the PFT is 3 miles, you better start running at least 5, not a fucking mile and a half. If you get your body used to running 5 or even 6 miles, the 3 mile test will be a cinch. If you're training only doing 1.5 miles, you're gonna crap out at........1.5 miles. Not exactly ideal.

25. MadEmperor

MadEmperor meh OT Supporter

Good advice.
    I have a pullup bar I bought on Ebay, I like to do like 4 sets of 9 pull ups (1/2 of my max)

100 crunches a day, but I wouldn't worry about them too much..... who can't get 100 in 2min :mamoru: (you'll get max points on crunches by the end of boot camp... or kill yourself)

Running, good advice but I can't talk I run out of steam at 1.5 meters :o
    (but I still run low-mid 20s on the 3mile)