Psyc0's Log v.Redux

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Psyc0, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

History
    I was an avid lifter 5x/wk with horrible horrible dieting habits all through High School and first couple years of college. During my 3rd year, I finally got my diet in order once I got out of the dorms and saw some real results. 2 summers ago I did my first cut that I actually followed through with and was successful (pics to follow) I started that cut at about 215 and finished it around 175. Unfortunately, during December of 2008, while I was lifting with my school's powerlifting team at UCLA I did some major damage to my back. I couldn't walk for a few days, had to take an incomplete from a class because I couldn't sit down long enough to take the final and was loaded on percocet, etc. I took 4 months out of the gym to try to "completely" recover and diet went to shit. Since then its been a battle of getting back into the gym for 2 weeks only to tweak my back again and set myself back, I spiraled on my diet with no exercise to speak of and stresses of med school applications and found myself at about 220lbs and having not worked out consistently in a year.

Starting on January 1st, I decided to dedicate myself to first getting my diet back in check and trying to get back in the gym. With my work schedule (12 hr hospital off hr shifts from 12pm-12:30am) it has been extremely hard to find a time that works for me in the gym. I finally settle down and have decided i'm going to stop fighting sleeping in and instead work out after I get off work since I get home late anyway and then toss and turn for an hr before I get to bed.

I'm starting my routine this go-round with a 6 week back specialization program posted on t-nation (ya ya ya its t-nation, its hype... whatever) fact of the matter is its a 6 week back focused program that will help me to strengthen my one weakness and the main problem that has kept me out of the gym. I'm going to see how this works and then follow that up with pur's new routine, old routine or my old routine that seemed to work well depending on what I decide, I'll see then.

So for Pics!
    Old Back Progress Pics:
    [​IMG]

End of last cut in Sept/Oct 08... this was maintained until my back injury:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Day 1 pictures from tonight:
    Front Relaxed/Double Bi
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Back Double Bi/Lat Spread:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Legs Quad/Hams/Calf:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Starting Stats
    FULL STATS SHOWN ON DAY 2!

Height: 5'11"/6'
    Weight: 190ish I'll get a better weight in the morning it has fluxuated alot lately (from 182 earlier this week in the morning to 196 tonight at the gym) From now on weights will be taken in the morning before anything is eaten
    Bodyfat: High teens? 20?

Don't know any max lifts whatsoever right now and I don't intend on maxing until I've been back in the gym and at least get back into the swing of things.

Diet will consist of high protein, moderate carbs and low fat. Aiming for maintenance or slightly below calories to try to get rid of the excess fat before clean bulking back up.

I'll be taking measurements for my own sake each week (i'm anal like that) including a self-caliper 3 point bodyfat test. Its not going to be right obviously because i'm doing it myself but its at least enough to see some changes over time. I'll also be posting pictures every 2 weeks, even though I'm taking them once a week for my own sake

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  2. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

Day 1

Stats listed above
    Diet: Shitty, hadn't cooked anything and best friend that I hadn't seen in almost 3 months was in town. Went out to dinner and ate like shit, counted as my cheat for the next 2 weeks, from now on diet will be on point (if i can resist those damn thin mints in my pantry... fucking girl scouts)

Workout:
    10 minutes treadmill on 3 incline 1 mile

Bent Over Row 6x3 with a 3 second static hold at the top of the movement, squeeze
    135x3
    135x3
    145x3
    135x3
    115x3
    115x3

Single Arm Explosive BW Rows (Set smith press at about waist height and pull up with one arm)
    6 sets of 5reps/arm

Superset:
    C1. Seated Rows 3x8
    130x8
    140x8
    140x8

C2. Horizontal Chin-ups (lean back as much as possible)
    BWx6
    BWx5
    BWx3

C3. Single Arm Hammer Curls
    30x8
    30x8
    35x8

10 minutes max incline light jog/walk for after workout cardio/cooldown

It felt absolutely FANTASTIC to be back in the gym, even if the workout wasn't as intense or as long as I was accustomed to when I was working out daily. I don't want to re-injure or tweak my back so I'll be working in slowly but it was a good way to start out, even though its small. I'll be doing back work every other day mostly lighter stuff with 1-2 full body workouts a week so that everything else doesn't completely fall behind. It will be nice to just get back in the gym. Abs are going to be done on off days to make sure to keep my entire core strong and cardio will be done every day I'm in the gym so 4-5x per week. Looking forward to getting back in the gym regularly and hoping to be able to get back to and surpass where I was a year and a half ago (long road though, especially now that i've compared pictures)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  3. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

Day 2

Weight: not taken
    Self Taken 3 fold (chest[15mm], thigh [21mm], abdominal [24mm]) BF%: 17.1% (hey its probably horribly wrong because i'm doing it myself but as long as I'm consistent its a comparison)

Measurements:
    Neck: 16.5"
    Shoulder: 49"
    Chest: 42"
    Bicep [flexed]: 15" :( down an inch in the past year
    Forearm [flexed](measured at largest part): 12"
    Waist (at bellybutton): 35"
    Hips (largest part around the ass): 41.5
    Thigh [flexed]: 24.5" (not sure if this was measured in the right spot, where do you all measure? I was about 9" above the knee roughly half way between knee and crotch)
    Calf [flexed]: 16.5"

Workout: none, off day. Next 3 days will be on with the 2nd being a full body workout. Definitely looking forward to getting some squats and incline bench in since I haven't done them in a while. Also going to get some deadlifts but thats DEFINITELY an exercise I have to be careful about with my back so they will probably stay pretty light.

Diet: Diet was much much better today than yesterday. Definitely was slightly low on the calorie front but considering I'm still cutting a bit diet-wise it wasn't horrible. Foods were much better. Going to be cooking for the rest of the week tomorrow so I'll be making all my chicken, salmon, turkey and sweet potatoes tomorrow. I'm also going to try to see if I can get myself to eat tuna. I've always hated it but maybe if I douse it in hot sauce I can stomach it. It is too simple a meal and too high in protein for the size to completely ignore. Breakdown per fitday:

Calories: 2,051
    Fat: 61.1g -27% (half from the inadvertent 3 yolks in this morning's eggs, I was supposed to be cooking part for my little brother and he decided after the fact that he didn't want it, fail)
    Carbs: 153g - 30%
    Protein: 213.7g - 43%

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  4. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

Day 3

Workout:
    Mechanical Drop-set Pullups (wide grip, angled grip, parallel grip) 1xfailure-1
    BWx5,5,6

Single Arm Pulldowns 4x10,10,8,8 (10 rt arm, 10 left arm, 8 rt, 8 left):
    50 x10,10,8,8
    50 x10,10,8,8
    60 x10,10,8,8
    60 x10,10,8,8

Bent over stiff armed push downs 3x12-15(pully at head high, arms straight, bend over like you are doing rows and pull down on rope instead) done on the machine with the adjustable swing arms but the arms can fold in, can't remember the name of the machine for the life of me right now.....
    20lbs/arm x13
    17.5/arm x15
    17.5/arm x15

Jumping pullups (crossfit style, jump and use momentum to pull up and then push yourself down) Was NOT expecting these to be as draining as they were. 2x30seconds
    14 in 30seconds
    10 in 30seconds

Mechanical Dropset Pullups 1xfailure
    1 x1,1,2

I was absolutely thrashed after doing the jumping pullups and didn't have much left in me for the last exercise. I'm surprised I was even able to get those done.

10 minutes on stairmaster stairmill thing for cardio/cooldown

Diet: Diet is on point today and pretty much what I'll be looking at from here until my next cheat day with minor variations or until I get sick of eating tons of chicken, which didn't happen last time I cut but it's definitely possible. Woke up at 10:30 (sleep late wake up late, night work throws my schedule) so thats where my day started.

11:30 - Breakfast
    3 egg white, 2 whole egg
    shake: 1scoop dymatize vanilla, 1/2 cup dry oats, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup 2% milk (family buys it its all I had today), 6oz water, ice cubes

2:30 - Meal 2
    6oz chicken breast
    5oz sweet potatoes
    1cup broccoli

5:30 - Meal 3
    5oz chicken breast
    5oz sweet potatoes
    1cup green beans

8:30 - Meal 4
    5oz chicken
    4 Brown Rice ricecakes
    Hot Sauce

12:30am - 1 scoop Pre-workout shake + 8oz gatorade

2am - 1 scoop post-workout shake

Might need to tweak timing, we shall see.

Calories: 2,123
    Fat: 43.2g
    Carbs: 170.2g
    Protein: 258.6g

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  5. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

Day 4 - 2/25/10

Weight: 193.5, apparently I've managed to gain 11lbs while getting more strict on diet. I'm going to go ahead and hope this is due to the increased glycogen storage because I've started working out.

Workout: Full Body Workout

10 Min Treadmill 3.0 incline 1 mile

Front Squat 3x8
    115 x8
    135 x8
    155 x8

DB Low Incline Chest Press 3x10
    45 x10
    55 x10
    65 x10

Deadlift 3x10 (gotta be really careful on these for now I'm going to go lighter and focus on form since I haven't done them in a while)
    155 x10
    185 x10
    225 x6

Whole workout to this point was slow, long pauses between sets. Had major cramping issues in my entire posterior chain and quads while I was squatting and it started to affect deadlift form so I kept the weight down and called it early. Sat down to do overhead press and felt like I was going to throw up, couldn't catch my breath and cramping continued. Decided it was better to call the workout here since I'd already been in the gym an hr for the exercises I'd done. Sad too because I feel like my shoulders are a major lagging point for me. I intend on hitting them hard once I'm done with my back program. I have a feeling that the rockstar I had to keep myself awake at 10pm had something to do with this. The bloating and caffeine from it definitely did not help. Went home, managed to choke down a shake without throwing up (dunno how) and went to bed.

Stuff I didn't get to:
    Seated Overhead Press 3x8

Split Squats in Smith Machine 3x10

Plank, Side Planks

Diet:
    On point again today almost identical to yesterday's diet except I had salmon for lunch.

Calories: 2,084
    Fat: 48.4g
    Carbs: 161.1g
    Protein: 242g

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  6. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

Day 5 - 2/26/10

Weight: 193.0

Workout:
    Workout today was decent but towards the end I felt more like I was going through the motions than pushing myself to the limit. Decided against doing cardio after the workout because of this combined with the fact that my body is starting to get pretty sore from just being back in the gym. Going strong though and looking forward to tomorrow's day of rest. I'll but cutting most of the carbs tomorrow in the off day, probably wind up with around 60-100 for the day as opposed to the 160 I put down on a daily basis normally.

Compound Row 1 x15-18
    90 x18

Superset (Chest Supported DB Row//Side to Side Inverted Row)
    Chest Supported DB Row 3 x8-10
    35 x10
    35 x10
    35 x10

Side to Side Inverted Row 3 x16(8/side)
    BW x16
    BW x16
    BW x16

Standing Cross Body Cable Row 2 x10,10,10,10 (rt, left, rt, left)
    40 x10,10,10,10
    40 x10,10,10,10

Mechanical Advantage Barbell Row Drop Set 2xfailure (wide, narrow, underhand)
    95 x15,5,2 had a strange abdominal cramp after this set, painful and got extremely lightheaded had to grab the power rack next to me to keep me from falling over/passing out... strange
    60 x18,10,5

Diet:
    Almost identical to yesterday...

Calories: 2,185
    Fat: 54.7g
    Carbs: 161.1g
    Protein: 249.4g

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  7. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

Day 6 - 2/27/10

Weight: Unknown

Workout: Off Day. Much needed. My legs are sore and I can barely walk from the squats a couple days ago and I'm pretty tired from work. Shitty day overall.

Diet:
    Lowered calories and carbs since I wasn't working out today. Diet wasn't perfect and I wound up missing a meal at work because I simply forgot to bring it... oops. Either way, low on the calorie side but otherwise not horrible.

Calories: 1516
    Fat: 42.4
    Carbs: 83.6
    Protein: 194.7

8. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

Day 7 - 2/28/10

First week of getting back in the gym is complete tonight. Feel better and, at least in my mind, look better already. Judging from my last cut I can say i'm probably about 1.5 months away from being remotely where I want (maybe a little less). We'll see but diet is going to stay in a caloric deficit and try to get down to around 10% BF before clean bulking back up. Going to get some progress pictures for myself tomorrow as well as take new measurements, will be interesting to see if there is any change due to excess glycogen storage from starting to work out again (hey i can pray can't I? :x: )

Weight: 190.0, dropped a few lbs over the last couple days likely because of lower carb yesterday. We shall see what it looks like tomorrow.

Workout:
    Superset
    1. Snatch Grip Rack Pull 5x3-6
    225 x6
    275 x5
    315 x4
    315 x3
    315 x3

2. Alternating Single Arm Cable Pulldown 5x6-8/arm
    90 x8
    90 x8
    90 x8
    90 x7
    90 x7

Negative Weighted Chinups 4x4-6 (3 seconds on the way down)
    BW x6
    30 x5
    35 x4
    35 x4

Explosive Pullups 1xfailure
    12 reps, at this point I was pretty much just using whatever I had in a jump to pull myself up... fail

Diet:
    Back to the regular diet for the most part for workout days.

Calories: 2,016
    Fat: 50.3g
    Carbs: 137.8g
    Protein: 243.8g

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  9. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

Well, shortly after the last post I strained my back again helping my dad move heavy ass oak furniture :doh: so I was out of the gym for a while. Regardless, diet was very similar to what is posted on here for all days. Few here and there that weren't logged but nothing bad at all, still low calories, low fat, moderate carbs and high protein. Never less than 180g in a day.

Anyway. Back at it today now that the back is feeling better.

10. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

03/16/10

First day back after re-injuring my back :doh:

Weight: 185
    Bodyfat: 13.72% Self Calipered [12mm chest, 19mm abdominal, 17mm thigh] Is it right? probably not. Does it show progress from the beginning? definitely.

Workout: First Chest workout I've done since starting to work out again so I tired and QUICK. :squint: I was not amused. Anyway I fought through, got my reps in and for the time being thats all that matters. Check the ego at the door right?

BB Bench Press
    135x10 -> 15 pushups
    135x10 -> 15 pushups
    135x8 -> 15 pushups
    135x6 -> 95x10 -> Bar x 15 -> 10 pushups

DB Incline Press
    45 x 12
    45 x 12
    45 x 12
    45 x 12

BB Decline Press (haven't done this in years, was SUPER unstable)
    95 x 12
    95 x 12
    95 x 12

Cable Flys
    45 x 15
    40 x 15
    40 x 15

Dips (I was done at this point, chest was exhausted, didn't go well)
    BW x 8
    BW x 4

Abs

Diet:
    Back to the regular diet for the most part for workout days.

Calories: 1,688
    Fat: 40.9g
    Carbs: 98.6g
    Protein: 241.0g

Unfortunately, tomorrow is St. Patty's day. I'm going to go work out at 8am so I can actually get a workout in before going out with some friends for drinks later in the day. Going to still try and eat as clean as I can but seeing as how we are going to a bar it'll be impossible to actually track calories, but I'll estimate.

Will update with 3 week progress soon

EDIT: 3 weeks not worthy of progress pics. I took pics for my own reference but not worth posting. I've definitely lost fat but lost a bit of size it seems too. I'll be taking measurements soon to see if there is actually a decent amount of size lost. I'm still not where I want to be bodyfat wise but I'm also starting to get too small IMO I might have to end the cut early and go back to gaining size weight just because I'm not comfortable :squint: Fuck BDD

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  11. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

03/17/10 Happy St Patricks Day

Weight: 186

Workout: Back

Pullups (Superset with Rack Pulls, knee height)
    BWx8
    BWx6
    BWx5
    BWx3

Rack Pulls
    225x10
    275x10
    275x8
    315x8

Power Clean (superset with Bent over Row + Hammer Curls)
    135x8
    135x6
    135x6

Bent Over Row
    135x6
    135x5
    135x5

Hammer Curl
    35x8
    35x8
    35x8

Cable Rows
    110x10
    120x10
    130x10

Diet:
    Before going out
    Calories: 1,031
    Fat: 15.1g
    Carbs: 83.0g
    Prot: 142.6g

While out, I had drinks, which i'm not going to guestimate, and a Ruben sandwich which I'll estimate was ~800-1000 calories. Had ~4oz corned beef and 2oz cheese so I'll guess it had another 35-40g ish protein between bread, cheese and beef

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  12. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

03/18/10

Weight: Didn't weigh myself in the morning

Workout: I decided against a workout today because of tightness in my back and my workouts this week got sorta thrown off for dates. Going to resume tomorrow. Nice and sore today though probably from the powercleans that I haven't done in years

Diet:
    Calories: 1,711
    Fat: 45.2g
    Carbs: 118.9g
    Prot: 212.5g

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  13. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

03/19/10

Weight: Didn't weigh myself

Workout: a/b/c indicate supersets
    1A. Seated Overhead Press (Smith)
    135x10
    135x10
    155x10
    155x10

1B. Reverse Curls
    55x10
    55x10
    55x10
    55x10

2A. Shrugs in Smith (In Front, Behind)
    205x8,8
    225x6,6
    225x6,6

2B. Tricep Extensions Single Arm Seated
    25x10
    25x10
    25x10

3. Front, Side, Rear Laterals
    20x8,8,8
    20x8,8,8
    20x8,8,8

4A. Straight Arm Pulldowns
    75x10
    85x10
    95x10
    95x10

4B. Skull Crushers
    85x10
    85x10
    95x10
    105x6//fail

4C. Hammer Curls w/ Rope
    65x10
    65x10
    75x10
    75x10

10 Minutes HIIT on Bike level 7. 30sec @ 140-150rpm, 30 sec @ 60-80rpm

Diet:
    Was good up until the night. Got Drunk, went to Jbox, etc. Had a long weekend enjoying myself to hang out with best friend and his sister who is being deployed to afganistan in a couple weeks.

14. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

03/29/10

Weight: 188

1A. Rack Pulls
    135x15 warmup
    275x8
    275x8
    295x6
    315x6

1B. Pull-ups over thick bar in power rack (BWxfail)
    BWx10
    BWx8
    BWx6
    BWx6

2A. Cleans
    135x10
    135x8
    135x8

2B. Bent Over Row
    135x8
    135x6
    135x6

2C. Hammer Curls (Hold at top of movement while doing other arm)
    30x8,8
    30x8,8
    30x8,8

3A. Cable Rows
    120x12
    130x10
    140x10

3B. Pull Overs
    40x10
    40x10
    40x10

Quick couple of Abs Sets

15. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

03/30/10

Weight: 186.5

Workout:
    Explosive BB Bench
    warmup
    135x4
    145x4
    155x4
    165x4
    175x4
    185x4
    135x10

DB Incline
    55x8
    55x8
    55x8
    55x8

Hammer Strength Decline
    95x10
    185x8
    185x8

Pec Deck
    130x6
    100x10
    100x10
    100x6 Drop -> 60x6 -> 30x15

16. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

03/31/10

Weight: 187

Workout:
    Legs (I didn't record workout and can't remember specifics at this point. Oops)

17. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

04/02/10

Weight: 188.5

1A. Seated DB Press
    45x10
    50x10
    55x10
    55x10

1B. Reverse Curls
    60x10
    60x10
    60x10
    60x10

2A. DB Shrugs
    85x8
    85x8
    85x8

2B. Tricep Extensions Single Arm Seated
    20x10
    20x10
    25x10

3. Front, Side, Rear Laterals
    20x8,8,8
    20x8,8,8
    20x8,8,8

4A. Straight Arm Pulldowns
    95x10
    100x10
    110x10

4B. Skull Crushers
    95x10
    100x10
    110x10

4C. Hammer Curls w/ Rope
    75x10
    80x10
    85x10

18. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

Was at the old stomping ground and had some time so I figured I'd get a quick (and I mean really quick, not close to full) workout in.

04/03/10

Weight: ???

1A. Rack Pulls
    135x15 warmup
    225x10 warmup
    315x5
    315x5
    365x5
    405x4

1B. Pull-ups Wide Grip
    BWx10
    BWx8
    BWx8
    BWx8

3A. Cable Rows
    130x10
    140x10
    150x10

3B. Hammer Curls
    35x10
    35x10
    35x10

Quick couple of Sets on the Ab Roller

19. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

04/04/10
    Happy Easter

Diet was crap today because of Easter with the family and will likely be shitty again tomorrow because of dinner with family friends.

No workout because gym was closed.

20. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

04/05/10

Weight: 197, Bloated to all hell. Weighed before workout, after dinner. Ate cheese and dairy which sits horribly with me, I feel gross right now.

Workout: Back
    1a,b indicates superset

1.Deadlift
    135x10, warmup
    225x5
    275x5
    295x3 -- Had enough to finish the set easy and intended on going up to 315x5 which I'm pretty sure I could have gotten but hit my knees on the way down and they are horribly bruised from rack pulls saturday (who knows how). Called it here on these because of the pain.

2a. Power Clean
    135x5
    155x5
    175x3
    185x2
    155x3

2b. Hammer Curls
    35x10
    35x10
    35x10
    35x10

3a. Close Grip Cable Rows
    130x10
    140x10
    150x10

3b. Wide Grip Pull Downs
    120x8
    130x8
    130x5, 80x10

21. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

04/06/10

Weight: 197

Workout:
    1.DB Bench
    warmup
    55x10
    65x10
    70x10
    75x10

2.DB Incline Flies
    35x8
    40x8
    45x8
    45x8

3.Hammer Strength Decline
    185x10
    235x10
    235x8

4a. Single Arm Tricep Pushdown
    35x10,10
    40x10,10
    45x10,10

4b. Single Arm Tricep Pulldown
    35x10,10
    40x10,10
    45x8,8

22. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

04/07/10

Weight: 195

Workout:
    1. Squats
    warmup
    225x5
    225x5
    245x5
    275x2

2a. SLDL
    135x8
    135x8
    135x8
    135x8

2b. Split Squats in Smith Machine
    Barx10
    Barx10
    Barx10
    Barx8

3. Single Leg Curl
    60x15
    80x12
    80x12
    90x10

4. Single Leg Press
    200x10
    220x10
    240x10

5. Calf Raises w/ 2 second hold at the top
    120x15
    120x15
    120x15

23. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

04/08/10

Weight: 196

Workout:
    1. Clean and Press
    warmup
    135x5
    135x5
    135x5
    135x5

2a. DB Shrugs
    85x10
    85x10
    85x8
    85x8

2b. Reverse Curls
    65x10
    65x10
    65x10
    65x10

2c. Single Arm Tricep Extension
    25x10
    25x10
    25x10
    25x10

3. Front/Side/Rear Laterals (Front/Side to above head, not parallel to floor)
    15x10, 10, 15
    15x10, 10, 15
    15x10, 10, 15

24. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

Off to San Francisco/Tahoe for the weekend. I won't be working out and flight was too early to get a workout in today. Resuming gym time on Monday. Going to TRY to keep the diet decent at least and I've got all Sunday to board so I'll get some physical activity in.

25. PcH

PcH Guest

:mb: blah blah blah i can't make it to the gym :o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.