PSU Fan not starting?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kronik85, May 25, 2009.

1. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

I just moved, and set up my computer again, but it only turns on for about 5 seconds. I dont see it POST on my monitor. The PSU fan doesn't start up, and I don't think it took any hard bumps along the way. Anyone have any idea of what I should check/do? I don't really feel like running out to buy a PSU to try and see if that works.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You need to do some basic troubleshooting. Take the side panel off and see if the fans are spinning.
    Make sure everything is plugged in all the way. Psu fan, keyboard, mouse. Try different usb ports if you can.

3. silent008

silent008 New Member

Do you get the initial beep????Check whether the power light of your CPU cabinet lights up during those 5 seconds?????

4. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

The first thing you want to check is your voltage switch on the back of your power supply (not all power supplies have these), but if it is no longer in the correct setting then, you power supply won’t work when plugged in. Also, double check to see if you power supply on/off switch is in the on position. If that isn’t it, then the next step is to Unplug everything from the power supply except your motherboard, hard drive, and video card. The only thing you’ll leave plugged in the back of the tower is your keyboard and mouse. If it boots, plug in an optical drive, then another hard drive etc. If this failed, you need to use a volt meter to see if you are getting any power from your PSU. Honestly, I’ve seen the problem a few times and it’s only been one of two things. First a dead power supply, or second, a dead CPU; however, in this case it sounds like the PSU.

5. negative zero

negative zero New Member

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Chances are, the PSU is shutting down because it can tell the fan isn't spinning. Try giving the fan blades a flick using a pen or a toothpick or something.