SRS PSA: Effexxor Xr is the worst anti-depressant ever created

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Man Bear Pig, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

If it is suggested to you, REFUSE. Once it comes time to get off, you will feel worse than when you started taking it for some time.Time, meaning weeks. With drawls from this drug are WORSE than trying to kick opiates, even with gradually decreasing dosages.

2. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

Agreed, I took it for a year or so back in high school for ADD and it really screwed with my mood. Especially if I was between refills and couldn't take it for a day or two. Getting off of it was pretty bad.

3. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Agreed.

And, Paxil is also terrible. Effexor as one pill is however worse due to how it effects two chemicals.

All I can say is taper slow. So slow that you cannot notice. If you can notice it is too late and it will suck.

Half the medications should be thrown out the window - except for fear that the birds might eat them.

4. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

it's known for being one of the toughest drugs to come off of.

5. Ladybug

Ladybug Guest

That's the one i was prescribed.
    I loathe it.
    I stopped taking it and hit a big low for a good 2 weeks that ripped at my entire life and the whole time I kept thinking to myself that i should really take one... I hated the things but my head was telling me i needed it, it was scary, the only thing i'd really felt that way before about a prescription was morphine.
    You're not supposed to take them spioradically but I'll only go near one if I've hit a chronic suicidal black patch.

but most anti-depressants suck.

6. JordanClarkson

I do that with prozac. Anytime I feel like shit I start taking it for a couple of days. It's not very addictive though.

7. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Uh SSRI's other type drugs do not work that way...

8. JordanClarkson

All drugs that I know of have a fairly fast absorbsion rate. Fluoxetine also has a long half life even on a single dose. In fact, they have a weekly Prozac that is nothing more than a single high dosage of regular prozac. It gradually goes out of your system over a week and if you're taking 20mg daily, you will reach maximum levels on the 3rd day. It will never go higher than that even if you take it for months. But it's usually not noticeable until after it's been a few months and people realize "hey, I've changed". They don't want you to quit taking it just because you can't tell if it's working or not. Even my friend's doctor prescribed her prozac for her period, which she only has to take once a month.

9. Devoidarex

Devoidarex Rexversusu v.2.0

Those drugs work by altering synaptic chemistry, which takes weeks, not hours.

10. JordanClarkson

Serotonin is believed to be able to interact with all of the other chemicals that affect depression. The levels of serotonin, gaba, dopamine, and norepinephrine are elevated immediately when reuptake is blocked at the presynaptic receptors, but the optimal clinical effects aren't usually seen for until 2 weeks or once the postsynpatic receptors are able to regulate chemicals to appropriate levels. So it works quickly, but takes a couple of weeks to see the best results. That's why some people who have problems falling asleep when on prozac for the first time will stop feeling sleepy after a couple of weeks.

11. Devoidarex

Devoidarex Rexversusu v.2.0

:ugh: This isn't the main forum. If you have something to say, say it. Don't just make stupid posts with a single smiley, acting smug as if you know something we don't.

SSRIs affect receptor numbers and makeup at the synapse, which take WEEKS to shift around until a balance is found. This is why people need to wait weeks until their mood stabilizes.

Short-term use of Prozac and the rest of the SSRIs cause short-term effects, NOT the type anyone is generally looking for when taking the drug in the first place.

12. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

Agreeeeeed!

That shits HARD AS FUCK to come off of