PS3 v Home Theater system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Guz200sx, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

I'm torn between deciding on a PS3 and getting a Home theater system. I can only get one or the other.

I'm pretty much thinking that the PS3 will only be for movies. I don't really have a high interest in playing video games anymore (unless its something like GTA IV)

If I go the route of a home theater system, i'll get either the Sony Bravia system or the JVC one. Both have outputs for HDMI which is what I want so the picture quality is super clear.

Anyone know about the Sony 1000 Watt 5-Disc DVD HTS or JVC 1200-Watt DVD Home Theater??

Any thoughts on this?

2. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

Well the PS3 is a good Bluray player and it is Bluray 2.0 compatible so that is good but if you're not going to play games with it then it does have some drawbacks.

If you can hold off then I would recommend not getting the PS3 right now for the following reasons:

1. It is a good Bluray player but only has Bluetooth so you cannot really control it with a universal remote and if you don't want to use the controller then you'll have to get Sony's PS3 remote which also will not control anything else.

2. The Xbox 360 just had a price drop in a few markets and this will probably cause a price drop in the PS3 when the 360 price drop becomes universal.

3. Now that the Bluray 2.0 (aka Bluray Live) spec is out there will be more and more dedicated Bluray players that are future-proof and if you don't play games that might be a better (and possibly cheaper) option for you.

3. Guz200sx

I don't really care too much about the remote situation. I would get it. I had to get one for the PS2 which I found no problem with. I just hope it has more features than the PS2 one.

I'm not a big fan of the XBOX so its either PS3 or the home theater system.

It's going to be a while, i think, before other companies start making Bluray players and replace standard DVD players.

I haven't played games in a long time BUT i have played them before so i am open to playing them again but it just depends which ones because I am very picky on that. It takes a great game to hold my interest.

4. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

If you don't plan to play games on the PS3 then don't buy it right now. Buy your home theatre setup and get a DVD player.

I would much rather watch a DVD on a standard def TV with a nice surround sound setup then a Blu Ray movie on a nice TV with the TV's speakers.

5. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

FOr the cost of PS3 he is not getting a nice home theatre system. I'd either grab the PS3 now or wait until you have at least a grand to spend on a surround sound setup.

Home theatre in a box setups are not worth the money.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would take a GOOD stereo setup over a "meh" surround sound setup.

7. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

Well he didn't give any dollar amounts. He said PS3 or home theatre, so I was just giving advice based on that advice. But yeah I totally agree with you.

$3000-$4000 for home theatre or $300 for PS3. Pretty big difference in price. Don't know why you couldn't get a PS3 if you can afford to buy the whole system. I mean a Sony Bravia (he mentioned a Bravia system) 40 inch LCD is going to run over $1000 alone.

8. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Which is why I assume he's talking about a in the box setup.

Agreed. Which is why if I was him I would pick up the PS3 first. Or spend 600 or so on a decent receiver, floor speakers and a center channel. Then as you get more money at the sub and finally the surrounds.

Do not waste money on a in the box setup. I picked up one of those when I was 16 it wasn't worth the money though. A good theatre setup will last you years with you only needing to upgrade the receivers.

9. Guz200sx

Yeah, I'm not spending $3k-4k on a home theater set-up.

I've seen $400-500 theater set-ups that look nice. I was browsing fingerhut and tigerdirect.com and I saw a Sony set up and a JVC one. They appeared to be decent too me.

BTW, I have a samsung 40 inch LCD TV.

10. Guz200sx

Not exactly sure what everyone says by "a in the box set up??"

This is the JVC one from fingerhut

[​IMG]
    http://www.fingerhut.com/ProductGroup.aspx?offergroupxid=61118&categoryxid=317

And this is the SONY one
    [​IMG]
    http://www.fingerhut.com/ProductGro...ategoryxid=317&cmCategoryID=youmayalsolike317

They are only $300-500 which is what I'm lookin to spend.

Or I could do the PS3 and just stick with the sound from the TV which is NOT that bad.

11. Guz200sx

I will play some games on the PS3 but not a whole lot.

12. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Spend 500-600 on a good receiver and a pair of floor speakers and then finish building a real surround sound system.

What your looking at is something I used in high school for games mostly. It's not worth the money though when you already bought a nice tv.

Anyway stuff you have posed will sound like crap. Read the sticky and head on over to AVSforums.com for more info.

13. Guz200sx

What exactly is Bluray 2.0??

What do you mean by future proof?

14. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

This is all new to you so I highly suggest you go to http://www.avsforum.com/ and start reading.

However do not waste your money on that in the box setup. Either buy a proper system or go with the PS3. Which will more then likely be upgradeable to 2.0.

2.0 is basically a finialized spec for blu ray players as far as features etc. Esentially for months we've been using half completed software/specs for blu-ray.

15. Guz200sx

:bigthumb: Thanks

I decided to go with the PS3 for now

16. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

lol, you guys kill me. while I too am a fan of the custom HT, and run a yamaha/polk/energy system, I know several people that are plenty satisfied with HTIB. They don't fit the bill for us who appreciate a more diverse setup, but one could have satisfied his needs for HTIB. No, they aren't incredible to us, but will fill the bill for the average consumer that isn't interested in the upper echelon of audio.

That said, I do recommend that you do some more research and consideration into what exactly you are looking to get out of your HT setup. After more analysis, explore your options and listen to towers vs. satellite systems to see which you prefer. A nice center channel and quality reciever is a definite recommendation.

17. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

I'm not saying he needs to spend a lot of money on the system not everybody needs a 3k+ audio system even if I prefer it.

However he can build a very nice surround sound setup that will be obviously better to even an average user in terms of quality. And he will not need to spend too much more then a in the box setup. It's worth it to spend an extra few hundred and it will last MUCH longer then an in the box setup.

18. DJMunich

DJMunich American Eurotrash

I couldn't agree more.

5.1 sound beats Hi-Def anyday... to me, good surround sound can make or break any movie.

I bought my surround sound system before I had my PS3, and it helped me enjoy not only movies & television more, but it accented my music collection perfectly.

Get the theater system first, then get the PS3 when the price drops, which it inevitably will. :bigthumb:

19. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i don't disagree with you byu any means. Not everyone is willing to go that extra couple hundered bucks though.