A&P PS assistance: backdrop color change?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by JaimeZX, Jan 4, 2007.

1. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Hey gang. Like I posted a few weeks ago, my wife and I took pictures of my sister and her husband & new baby for their Christmas present.

Lighting was six $6 clip-lights from Home Depot with 100W bulbs. Not too bad I guess. Especially since I returned 4 of them later and sold the other two to my brother-in-law at a small profit. :o

Backdrop was a tan sheet from my sister's closet. :down: That's the only color they had and it didn't occur to me to stop at a store and get a black sheet or something. :sad2:

Anyway, the tan doesn't always work, as you can see here:

[​IMG]

In this case, I attempted to make the background a nice, desaturated blue. I used gaussian blur and Replace Color basically, although I also used a few other tools along the edge to try and clean things up. Still, I'm not totally satisfied with the result:

[​IMG]

My biggest problems were with her hair where it flips up, since a lot of the tan showed through the hair and the magic wand tool couldn't really distinguish between OoF hair and sheet. Naturally I could spend lots of time on each picture, but if we're going to do prints of the best 50 or so, I can't spend hours on each photo.

Here is another example, my mother with the baby:

[​IMG]

In this case I made the background black, again with magic wand, gaussian blur, and replace color & Hue/Saturation:

[​IMG]

I'm still not thrilled with the halo around everything but I can't figure out how to make the edge look good otherwise... if I run the marqee right up to the edge and then change colors it looks very unnatural, much too sharp of a transition.

Any suggestions you might have would be MOST appreciated.

Finally, here is my favorite picture from the whole shoot:

[​IMG]

Isn't she cute? :love:

Thanks in advance. :wavey:

2. mojito

mojito New Member

3. mojito

mojito New Member

Next time, try this before hand:

4. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

:cool:

I dunno. I might just stick with the tan if this winds up taking too long, but I'll give this stuff a shot. I would've just used the wall but they didn't have a single blank wall in their whole place that was accessable without moving a bunch of furnature. I hung a blanket over their windows and put the sheet over the blanket. :o

BTW - did you like the last picture? :squint:

5. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

6. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

wow very nice tutorial

7. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Looks like the subject was too close to the background, and you didn't setup a hairlight or light on the background to give some separation. Also, you should reall spend a couple minutes with an iron if you are going to use a sheet.