GUN Prvi .223: M855 or 75gr Match?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ZCP M3, Nov 22, 2008.

?

Which Prvi .223 ammo?

1. 62gr M855

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. 75gr Match HP

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  1. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

WMD,
    I am going to buy some .223 ammo from Widener's tonight but I don't know which one to pick. It will be shooting from a 16" JP Rifles stainless match barrel with a 1:8" twist. This is my longer-range target gun so I won't be blowing through multiple 30rd mags every range trip. Which one would you choose to shoot? The difference in cost is negligible. Should I be worried about the steel core in the M855 shooting through backstops/berms?

2. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I'd choose the match ammo for longer range shots.

3. For actual aimed fire at long range, get the 75gr. stuff.

4. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I don't really have a need for steel-core ammo, but it is cheaper. The absolute LONGEST this gun will be shooting at is 600yds. Normally, probably going to be shooting 150-300yds. How much of a difference will 62 vs 75 grain make?

5. 600 is really pushing it with that setup. As far as 62 vs 75, it's not the weight so much as the shape of the bullet that matters. The 75 is going to be longer and more tapered and is going to have a higher ballistic coefficient. At 600 yards with a 16" barrel you're going to need all the help you can get.

6. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Yeah I doubt I'll be going that long, but figured I'd list it as it's the longest range in the area. 300yds is where it'll spend the most time. I've planned to pick up a .308 bolt gun if I want to go longer than that. :hsd:

Looks like the 75gr is what I'll order. Odd that the majority of match bullets out there are hollow points. I would have imagined that would be detrimental to long-range accuracy. :dunno:

7. The style you're talking about is called OTM (open tip match.) It's not a hollowpoint like most people are used to. OTM bullets are not designed for fragmentation. The picture below shows an OTM bullet. It's the left-most one that's not in the case. You can see that there is no lead above a certain level, the tip is hollow, but it doesn't help with expansion. The little hole in the tip is a byproduct of the manufacturing process.

[​IMG]

8. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Interesting. I figured a FMJ or some of those fancy Hornady polymer-tip bullets would be more accurate due to less drag. Themoreyouknow.jpg I guess.

9. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

300 yards, where?

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The steel core penetrator will hurt accuracy, go with the otm.

11. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter