SRS Prozac, Lexapro - Anti-depressants..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ape Gone Insane, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Ape Gone Insane

Ape Gone Insane New Member

My doctor is thinking of prescribing me either Prozac or Lexapro to treat my "depression problems"

Do these drugs actually work? How effective are they?

I just wondered if there was anyone on here who could give me the run down of these drugs. Such as how they made you feel?

2. Silmatharien

Silmatharien OT Supporter

I don't know why you wouldn't ask your doctor about this.

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

SSRI class antidepressants can kill your sex drive. The actual incidence is much higher than the reported incidence.

The non-SSRI ones (like Wellbutrin, etc.) have other side effects, but loss of sex drive is not one.

It's been a while since I researched these.

4. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Ok dude here you go:

SSRIs - kill emotions, can make you suicidal, often kill sex drive

Non-SSRIs - can exacerbate or induce tic disorders (i believe its due to their modulation of dopamine but I can't remember. it's been a while)

Many times patients will have to try multiple antidepressants before they find the right one for them.

There are a lot of people against the use of them, but there are a lot of people who have benefited greatly from their use, as well. Do your own research and talk to your doctor. Don't be afraid to get a second opinion. Learn how each drug works and what happens when you modify those chemicals in your brain. Find out what the side effects are and why those are the side effects. Find out how long you can stay on. Find out what protocol you will need to follow if you need to or decide to come off the drug. Most of these drugs you cannot just stop taking. Find out what their half-lifes are (I think Prozac is the longest) and how that will affect its mechanism in your body and its tapering schedule.

Learn about serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. Learn what they do and why different drugs seek to modulate their levels in the brain. Learn what happens to one of them if you mess with one of the other ones. At least that's what I would do. But I'm OCD like that.

Name (Tradename)

SSRIs: (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor)
    Sertraline (Zoloft)
    Fluoxetine (Prozac)
    Paroxetine (Paxil)
    Fluvoxamine (Luvox)
    Citalopram (Celexa)
    Escitalopram (Lexapro)

Non-SSRI Antidepressants:
    Nefazodone (Serzone (Discontinued in US, generic still available))

Tricyclic Antidepressants: (many of these are norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors)
    Clomipramine (Anafranil)
    Nortriptyline (Sensoval, Aventyl, Pamelor, Allegron, Nortrilen)
    Imipramine (Antideprin, Deprenil, and like 10 other names)
    Bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban)

edit - then again, you're talking to a guy who brings stacks of research with him every time he goes to the doctor :mamoru:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  5. Ape Gone Insane

Because I don't want the doctors opinion on his views. I've had that.

I want feedback from people who had used it. Experience.

6. Smutty

Smutty OT Supporter

Lexapro just made me puke and gave me the shits. I don't even know why the doctor prescribed it to me. It was just a conditional situation where I just needed to man up and get over it. Are you sure you really need it?

7. Ape Gone Insane

Yes. I've had considered and tried all other options before this.

Doctors here do this as a last option sort of thing.

8. CorpseStreet

CorpseStreet New Member

Lexapro worked for me. I don't remember any bad side affects other than feeling really shitty when I decided to just stop taking it. Great idea, I know. But I liked it.

9. AmandaHuginkiss

AmandaHuginkiss New Member

Prozac is fairly activating - you'll find yourself with a little more energy during the day. It can and most likely will kill sex drive, or at the very least make it nearly impossible to finish. Prozac is a potent P450 inhibitor and so concomitant medications need to be monitored very carefully during and up to 3 weeks after stopping Prozac.

Lexapro is slightly less activating and seems to have fewer side effects than many of the other drugs. In the end, all SSRIs are about equally effective with the efficacy determined only by the person taking them.

You'll feel good when you take them. Takes ~3-4 weeks for the drug effect to "kick in," but you will notice yourself responding differently to situations, usually for the better. Side effects like diarrhea, dry mouth, etc usually remedy themselves in a couple weeks - approximately the same time that the therapeutic effects begin.

10. AmandaHuginkiss

There have been reports of hepatic failure associated with nefazodone and so I would leave it for a last option. :o

Theoretically it's a fantastic drug with few side effects, though.

Bupropion is not a TCA :o

Also the TCAs are not simply NE reuptake inhibitors. They function on a wide range of neurotransmitters. :hsd:

11. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

Here's my rundown in the last 3 years
    Lexapro - seemed to help with depression and anxiety, KILLED my dick.
    Cymbalta- worked well but couldn't afford it at $170 per month
    Prozac (generic)- tried twice since it was $4.00 a month, both times seemed to mellow me out, however also made me have severe road rage, quick to get pissed off/mad, and had bad headaches
    Mirtazipine (generic Remeron) made me gain 50lbs in 4-6 weeks. HOWEVER I was not advised about how it makes you crave carbs and not realize when you are full. It has done wonders for me the first time with depression, anxiety, and insomnia. I just started taking it again, going to watch what I am eating like a hawk, plus I am starting weight watchers again.

If I can be of any help, please feel free to PM me! Also one thing I have noticed it that docs and psychiatrists here in the US will hand out anti-depressants like they are chewing gum, yet they want to only give me anti-anxiety meds (Lorazepam) like they are nuclear war heads. 45 pills for 4 months :wtf: I realize that they are highly addictive as my mother was on them for years, and my aunt who just "came out" to me about her bipolar disorder has been on it for awhile. They gave it to both of them no problem 90 pills for 90 days, more if needed. Is the doctor you went to a general pracitioner or a psychiatrist?

12. Ape Gone Insane

:eek3: how?

13. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

I've only had the experience with the following

Mirtzapine - small doses, worked well for depression, did SFA for my anxiety

Venlafaxine - More severe depression and anxiety but has worked well, but I feel my body gets used to it and always need to up the dosage (only been on it 4 months, started at 37.5, then 75, now 150) .. miss a dose, or late taking a dose, really big brain shocks and feeling unwell. Has stopped me eating a lot though

14. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

That' useless. Individual response varies a lot.

15. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

My sister took Prozac and HATED it.
    My sister took Lexapro and LOVED it.

Medications do different things for different people.

16. Ape Gone Insane

Did you see a visible difference from her? As a sister did her mood improve?

17. AmandaHuginkiss

Sex drive, tumescence, orgasmic function, etc all are inhibited extensively by the mechanism through which SSRIs work.

18. Ape Gone Insane

Yes but what did that mean for him?

No more erections?

19. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Yes on Lexapro.

20. AmandaHuginkiss

Pitiful erections, really. You just get a semi every time.

Again, all side effects depend on the medication. Not everyone will necessarily have them.

21. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

Instead of my usual 1-3 times per day it became 1-3 times per week and sometimes it would take forever. I remember my girl liked it because it would take me like well over an hour to cum and in the time it would take me to cum once she would have at least 4 orgasms :bowdown:

22. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

anyone else in your family have depression?

Find out what they're taking and if it helps. Most likely it'll work for you

23. Ape Gone Insane

WOW. :eek3:

Did it get better when you stopped taking them or does it if you do stop taking them?

24. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

oh we're talking about cock problems with anti-depressants?

Yeah, my old anti-depressant paxil had the same thing. THroughout the best time of my sexual life it pretty much sucked. A lot of the guys are saying how awesome the chick likes it and stuff but it pretty much looses the fun for you.

:o

Once i switched over to another type of SSRI that side effect went away

25. cctyler

cctyler Mornin'

Paxil made me a zombie and I would sleep throughout the day. It also killed my dick.

Switched over to Celexa a few weeks ago. It works great, I feel really good, but again, killed my sex drive.

Hooked up with my ex-gf's best friend last night, hehe, but I couldn't get it up :wtc: Felt like a douche bag.