Proxy settings in IE are changing automatically

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MrBrotato, Jul 12, 2006.

1. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Ok, I'm working on this ladies computer, websites weren't working, e-mail was.

Come to find out, there is a program or something automatically changing her proxy settings so all http stuff is referred to 127.0.0.1. I changed it, restarted, checked and it was fine.

However, when I connect to the internet it changes back. I suppose there is some sort of program that detects an attempt to connect to the internet and changes it then. However I cannot remove it with adaware, does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

why not use an alternative browser like firefox or opera? ;)

3. keleko

keleko yes, he is

it's been hijacked, spyware'd, and virused to hell n back

if you can't tell already, AND know how to fix it, then the best option for the both of you is to either
    a) take it to a proper pc shop
    b) just reformat and reinstall
    c) put it back in the box it came in, and yours too, and take them back to the store to get your money back, telling them you're both too stupid to own a computer

4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

d) install Ubuntu. Seriously, for alot of people Ubuntu does and would do the trick - and you don't have to worry about viruses and spyware and other malware (e.g. Windows "genuine advantage").

5. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

It isn't my computer. She wouldn't understand it if I tried to explain it to her.
    I know. I scanned with Ad-aware and it found 79 serious threats and removed them all. However, none of them were the cause of this problem. I was just posting to see if anyone else has delt with this exact problem. I guess I'll try spybot tomorrow then tell her I don't know after that.

I have reformatted her computer once already.

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Have you tried spybot search & destroy and Windows Defender?

What antivirus scanner are you using? Is it updated?

7. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I used ad-aware and spybot, got rid of 80 things together. Did not fix the problem though. I really don't have time for computer repair and I told her that there has been/is so much crap on her comp that it will probably have to be formatted. She is getting a new comp soon though I guess so it will be alright. She only uses it like once a week I guess anyway.

8. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

why not install firefox/opera, set the proxy settings, and tell her "IE's broken, just go <here> when you wanna browse the web in future" ?

9. skelm

skelm New Member

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Here's a question. Where does 127.0.0.1 point to? Doesn't it refer the computer back to itself?

11. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Yes.

And I don't switch her to FF because she uses some weird dialup service that forces their browser upon her. And "their" browser is just IE with some extra buttons... Kinda like AOL.