GUN Protesters clash over Pasadena man who shot suspected burglars

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Dec 3, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=5809394
    http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou071202_tnt_pasadenaprotest.5f508ed6.html
    Protesters clash over Pasadena man who shot suspected burglars

06:07 PM CST on Sunday, December 2, 2007

By Taylor Timmins / KHOU.com & The Associated Press

Riot police were on the scene in a Pasadena neighborhood Sunday afternoon as a planned protest teetered on the brink of mayhem.
    Quanell X and his followers planned to meet in front of the home of Joe Horn, the man who shot and killed two suspected burglars at his neighbor’s home last month, in the 7400 block of Timberline for a protest around 3 p.m.

But they were met with an even larger group of protesters in support of Horn’s actions.

The Horn supporters, many of whom appeared to come from outside the neighborhood, crowded around Quanell X and his group, revving motorcycles, hoisting signs in support of Horn and chanting “U-S-A! U-S-A!”

“The neighborhood does not want that man here. They don’t want him here. He’s not welcome in this neighborhood. They don’t want him,” Snowflake, a pro- Horn protester, said.

Police moved along with the group, breaking up skirmishes. On several occasions, shoving and kicking matches broke out as protesters confronted the group, shouting racial slurs.

Once Quanell X and his supporters left the neighborhood, the protesters marched along the streets, cheering.

“We have a right to bear arms, and we’re not afraid to use it. So criminals in Texas, watch out!” protester Jenni Foster said.

But the calm was short-lived.

Quanell X and his supporters returned shortly afterward.

“From the very beginning, we said that what the two brothers did was wrong. We don’t condone breaking into somebody’s house. But we are here today because we believe that it’s not right for anyone to become judge, jury and executioner, “ Quanell said, speaking into a bullhorn over angry shouts from the crowd.

“It’s a matter of justice. It’s a matter of fairness. It’s a matter of respecting the law,” he said.

Quanell said the scene was indicative of the biased attitude in the neighborhood.

“If you’ll notice, nobody with us has pushed anybody. Nobody with us has made a racial remark … It’s what I expected. It’s not what I wanted, but it’s what I expected,” Quanell said. “The real question is, be honest, tell the truth. You watched them push, you watched them kick, you watched them shove. Did any of us do that?”

The neighborhood has been awash in controversy ever since the two men, Miguel Dejesus, 38, and Diego Ortiz, 30, were shot.

The whole thing started when Horn called 911 to say that two men were breaking into his neighbor’s home.

In a tape of the 911 call released to the media, the emergency operator can be heard urging Horn to remain in his home and wait for police to arrive.

“You’re gonna get yourself shot if you go outside that house with a gun. I don’t care what you think,” the operator said.

Horn disagreed.

“You wanna make a bet?” he said. “I’m gonna kill ‘em.”

After the shooting, a shaken Horn called 911 again.

“I had no choice,” he said. “They came in the front yard with me, man. I had no choice. Get somebody over here quick.”

Pasadena police are compiling a report on the incident and plan to present the case to Harris County prosecutors, according to police spokesman Vance Mitchell. From there, it’s expected to be presented to a grand jury. In the meantime, Horn remains uncharged.

Texas law allows people to use deadly force to protect themselves if it is reasonable to believe they could otherwise be killed. In limited circumstances, people also can use deadly force to protect their neighbor’s property; for example, if a homeowner asks a neighbor to watch over his property while he’s out of town.

The question will be whether it was reasonable for Horn to fear the men and whether his earlier threats on the 911 call showed he planned to kill them no matter what, said Fred C. Moss, who teaches criminal law at Southern Methodist University in Dallas.

“That’s what makes it so hard and that’s why we have juries,” Moss said.

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The shitbag was even to racist for the nation of islam.

3. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

wtf, why is it always racist when you defend your home, thats just crap. just because the majority of home intruders aren't white doesn't make the fact that he protected himself racist :rolleyes:

4. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I can't get Quannel X on DirecTV.

5. smartypants

smartypants New Member

paint the roads flat black:mamoru:

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

he shot two people who broke into his neighbors house

7. ReefBlue

ReefBlue New Member

Law allows for that as well.

8. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

BOOM! YOU'RE DEAD!

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

according to the article, only sometimes:

thats going to be the the tricky part in the trial

10. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Says the guy who has a truck capable of said statement.:)

11. Werm

Werm Guest

Unless nighbor asked him to keep an eye on house... or if they're friends etc. Guy could be just happy his house didn't get robbed and say he told neighbor to watch house etc...

If it were me I would have called the cops if it were my neighbors house... my house and I'd of shot the fuckers too.

12. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

:rofl: @ "Quannell X" :rofl:

edit: What does Texas law say about unlawful gathering and trespass? Mrs. Horn should have laid down the 12GA law... again. :x:

13. 7lvis

7lvis Guest

Will it be a white jury from the area?

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I had to look up the guy, its a shame people feel like they're doing something good by aligning themselves with a racist bigoted thug.

15. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Aah. Horn might be fuct.