Protein?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Kcomps, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

After lifting about a year without taking any supps. I decided to start making protein shakes a part of my daily diet. I have a question though. It says in the supplement facts that 1 scoop (44g), but in amount per serving it says 22g.

On another part of the tub it says the recommended use for males is two scoops with 8-10 of milk. This should be taken 2-4 times a day, or as needed to satisfy your protein or muscle enhancing requirements.

So by downing 3 shakes a day with 2 scoops of powder in each glass. I am getting 132 grams a protein from thsoe shakes?

I am taking Syntha-6 (made by:BSN)

I am 5"10 170. My weight goal is to reach 180-185.

If you can understand what I am trying to say or asking, thanks for the help.

2. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Don't count on a supplement company's recommandation when it comes to using their product...
    If you eat plenty, 1-2 scoops in water preworkout and 1-2 scoops in water post-workout could be more than enough. Add some carbs in the drink (maltodextrine maybe) or eat something with carbs (oats, bread, fruit, etc) and you'll be perfectly fine.
    You have to take into account that it's a supplement though, it won't make you broly if you don't eat enough.

3. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Well that depends.. are you getting enough protein in your diet already? There's nothing magic about the shakes - they simply contain calories and extra protein. If you're already getting enough protein in your diet, adding the shakes won't make too much difference.

Track your diet on www.fitday.com so you can be sure you know what you are eating on a daily basis.

4. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

But, just ignore the reccommendation. Like I said, if you need 200g a day and you're getting 150g from food, you need 50g from the powder. If you're getting 180g from food, you'll only need 1 scoop.

etc etc etc

5. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Sounds like you're reading it backwards, one scoop should be 22g and a reccomended serving (two scoops) is 44g.

To gain size take 1-2g of protein per pound of bodyweight.

6. Elfling

Elfling New Member

7. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

that's not it, one serving is 44g of powder, of which 23g is protein. It also has 13g of carbs and 6g of fats per serving.

8. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

One benefit of whey being quick absorbtion..

9. caribou

caribou New Member

does most of F&N use water as opposed to milk when doing protein shakes?

10. ski

ski New Member

I do milk, powder, banana, ice.

11. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

i use calorie countdown skim and 2%

12. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

I use low fat milk. I drink three shakes a day that should come out to 132 grams of protein from the shakes. The last 48 grams I get from food. Does that sound correct?

13. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

48 g of protein a day from food ? You should eat more real food man, I get like 40 g of protein from eggs only each morning. You should buy some meat, eggs and dairy before supplements...

14. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

I have all that. But you are saying I should get more protein from food than from the shakes?

15. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Yes. This is a protein supplement, not a protein replacement. I don't even know how you can eat so few protein if you eat more than two meals a day.
    Eat a couple of times a day with a whole food protein source everytime and it should be better. Use only protein powder before/after a workout and when you can't get anything else, whatever the reason is.

16. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Real food is cheaper, tastier and more satiating :dunno: protein powders can be really convenient though. Keep it all balanced.

17. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

I will give that try. I am just a busy college student that sometimes get's caught up with all the shit and end's up not missing some normal protein intake.

18. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

It's a supplement - i.e. an ADDITION to a good diet. It shouldn't be used as a complete replacement. The source of protein doesn't matter a huge amount, but food will always be better overall in terms of other nutrients. Plus, food is good and tasty :big grin:

I have no idea what crap you must be eating to only get 40g protein from normal food in a day :|

19. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

Chicken breast, but yeah I am getting back into my regulary eating habits plus the protein. Just the first week of school threw me off and I was trying to figure out ways to add the supps to my daily routine.

20. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

If you want a rapid snack, get some beef jerky, cans of tuna, cans of salmon, cans of whatever fish you want (sardines, mackerel, etc), low-fat cheese with are like a tasteless dairy protein bar, make some protein bars with oats and whey, etc.

If you want to achieve your goal you have to find solutions, not excuses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.