Protein with water or milk?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by gerbs, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerbs

gerbs New Member

I usually mix it with water right after a workout and then with milk just before bed. Which way allows for maximum protein absorbance?

2. supraholic

supraholic lives to ride

:slap:

Answer his question.

Mixing with water allows for the quickest absorbtion. Milk slows the digestion process. I know you said maximum, but I believe that's just an error. In the end your digestive system will get it all, or the maximum. However a big benefit is how quick your body can absorb it.

Stay with what you are doing. Water for pre/post workout and milk for the night shake.

3. supraholic

supraholic lives to ride

I hope you don't give out this kind of advise regularly. :hsugh:

The difference in absorbtion between milk and water is not minimal. Please don't talk without reading first. Someone will respond to his post eventually with sound advice.

4. supraholic

supraholic lives to ride

EXACTLY :uh:

He said maximum, but what he meant was quickest absorbtion. That was the whole point of my post. protein is absorbed MUCH FASTER when mixed with water.

Now stop trying to give shit advice.

5. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

Both of you shut the fuck up. Dont make me turn this car around.:mad:

6. supraholic

supraholic lives to ride

Protein absorbtion is not at it's highest a few hours after workout. Protein needs are at their highest, but if there is no protein to absorb then nothing happens.

Protein absorbtion rates are at their highest with a clean digestive tract, not when they are fucking clogged with casein protein from the milk.

Jesus, you don't know what you are talking aobut. And yes, it will make a difference.

To the thread starter: Continue mixing protein with water for your workout shakes. Use milk for your night time shakes.

7. supraholic

supraholic lives to ride

Are we there yet? :mad: :mad:

8. supraholic

supraholic lives to ride

:hsugh:

You sound as if you might like it :mamoru:

9. supraholic

supraholic lives to ride

I also live within 25 miles of SF, does that mean I have "teh ghey"? :noes:

10. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Does it really make a difference? I simply can't down whey+water, the taste is way too shitty. Plus the milk has a little extra protein in it. :dunno: So my ultimate question is: will it make a noticeable difference over time?

11. supraholic

supraholic lives to ride

Yes! Milk will clog up your digestive tract and slow the rate of absorbtion. The protein in milk can take up to +7 hours to digest.

In the end, if you aren't doing intensive training you could do just as well with just a proper diet. But if you think you do the kind of training that requires regular protien supplementation, then yes, there is a difference between milk and water.

12. nosnikliw0

nosnikliw0 I am the cheese.

wtf is going on in here

13. supraholic

supraholic lives to ride

But in reality, 3/4 of the people supplementing protein have no need to. So lets keep this in perspective.

14. supraholic

supraholic lives to ride

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Actually it %150 the opposite. I drink three to four big glasses of milk a day. Although it's mostly in the morning, when I load up on a big breakfast for the day, and at night when I am loading up for bed.

15. xpinchx

I would say I'm doing pretty high intensity weight training. Definately need protein supplement. I guess I'll try it with water tomorrow. :dunno:

16. supraholic

supraholic lives to ride

There's not gonna be a difference if you have no need for the protein you are digesting.

However, if you do REALLY need the protein, then yes faster absorbtion will absolutely make a difference.

17. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

adrunkgerbil > supraholic

18. supraholic

supraholic lives to ride

I would.

Also, mixing with milk will increase satiety. Which if you are aiming for a meal every 2 hours (or frequent meals of any kind for that matter) is not beneficial.

19. supraholic

supraholic lives to ride

Oh noes! I'm so crushed I did not win the klown popularity contest. :wtc:

:rofl: :slap:

20. gtpjim

gtpjim New Member

Ingestion of casein and whey proteins result in muscle anabolism after resistance exercise.

Tipton KD, Elliott TA, Cree MG, Wolf SE, Sanford AP, Wolfe RR.

Metabolism Unit, Shriners Hospitals for Children and Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77550, USA. [email protected]

PURPOSE: Determination of the anabolic response to exercise and nutrition is important for individuals who may benefit from increased muscle mass. Intake of free amino acids after resistance exercise stimulates net muscle protein synthesis. The response of muscle protein balance to intact protein ingestion after exercise has not been studied. This study was designed to examine the acute response of muscle protein balance to ingestion of two different intact proteins after resistance exercise. METHODS: Healthy volunteers were randomly assigned to one of three groups. Each group consumed one of three drinks: placebo (PL; N = 7), 20 g of casein (CS; N = 7), or whey proteins (WH; N = 9). Volunteers consumed the drink 1 h after the conclusion of a leg extension exercise bout. Leucine and phenylalanine concentrations were measured in femoral arteriovenous samples to determine balance across the leg. RESULTS: Arterial amino acid concentrations were elevated by protein ingestion, but the pattern of appearance was different for CS and WH. Net amino acid balance switched from negative to positive after ingestion of both proteins. Peak leucine net balance over time was greater for WH (347 +/- 50 nmol.min(-1).100 mL(-1) leg) than CS (133 +/- 45 nmol.min(-1).100 mL(-1) leg), but peak phenylalanine balance was similar for CS and WH. Ingestion of both CS and WH stimulated a significantly larger net phenylalanine uptake after resistance exercise, compared with the PL (PL -5 +/- 15 mg, CS 84 +/- 10 mg, WH 62 +/- 18 mg). Amino acid uptake relative to amount ingested was similar for both CS and WH (approximately 10-15%). CONCLUSIONS: Acute ingestion of both WH and CS after exercise resulted in similar increases in muscle protein net balance, resulting in net muscle protein synthesis despite different patterns of blood amino acid responses.

Publication Types:
    Clinical Trial
    Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 15570142 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15570142&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

21. xpinchx

So basically, whey and casein protein are similar enough that it shouldn't matter which kind you consume, right? Taking that into fact, taking both at the same time (whey in milk) should cause no foul?...

22. Zika

Zika My avatar is still NOT me

just use water you fucking pussies

23. gerbs

gerbs New Member

thanks for the help boys

24. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

water during the day, milk before bed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.