protein shakes

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by nygiantplaya, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nygiantplaya

nygiantplaya I

how many a day do you take? and when do you take them?

i usually will take one in the morning and before i work out, but i heard that taking protien before you work out is bad? i guess taking a protein shake before u work out, blocks amino acids? which is bad?

2. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Read the sticky it provides a lot of detail on when to take protein. You should be having protein throughout the day. It keeps the level of amino acids in your blood at a constant level which is how muscle is built. When you are working out you are not, using the proteins for fuel. You are using glycogen (muscle carbohydrate) stored in your liver and muscles as a fuel source.

If anything, if you are going to be taking protein shakes, take one in the morning, one in the afternoon two hours before a workout, and at least two hours after workout. Post workout you need to replenish glycogen quickly and protein is not as suitable as say high GI foods, such a simple sugars, fruit, white bread, etc.

3. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

What the fuck :ugh:

LOL just kidding, good response to a terrible question. :wavey:

4. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

I was going to get my bitch slap on...:rofl:

5. turbo35

turbo35 haters gonna hate

I was under the impression you want one ASAP (and whey, so you digest it ASAP) after working out along with sugar. Why do you wait at least two hours after workout?

and why 2 hrs before? I do it ~1 hr before because I mix my creatine mono in there

Also, I do a casein shake before bed because those digest over a longer period, providing constant protien to your muscles for nighttime repair for hours, instead of starving them all night.

6. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

I do so to prevent an insulin spike and it ensures your body is going to be using all of its energy towards the workout and not towards digestion, and leaves me feeling "lighter." You can take creatine any time during the day. If you want first thing in the morning, and by the time workout comes along it is already in your muscles ready to be utilized. Also, taking carbs right before a workout (1 hour>) sets you up for a sugar crash.

After workout, you want to have roughly a 3:1 carb to protein ratio. Your body wants the carbs badly, so it can renew glycogen levels. Using protein to renew glycogen is inefficient, because it takes longer to digest and once digested amino acids must go through glyconugenesis in the liver in order to be converted into glycogen. So, it will take much more protein and longer to get the same effect as having a high dose of carbs RIGHT after a workout; which is cheaper graham crackers and a banana or a couple scoops of your protein mix? Also, I wait a couple hours, because I eat dinner an hour after training and taking the shake after dinner keeping amino acids in my blood.

7. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

jesus christ, it's protein not rocket science

8. turbo35

turbo35 haters gonna hate

Well, I don't really have carbs before a workout... the whey shake has 2g carbs, not exactly anything that's gonna give me much of a crash. So you think I can take creatine anytime (same day?) before a workout... what do you think about daily vs workout days? taking 5mg in the pre shake right now.

I agree 100% about glycogen replenishment, and get ~30g sugar post-workout with a glass of juice, along with a whey shake immediately after I get home. Why do people recommend whey pre and post workout? I'm sure it's not to replace glycogen... :dunno:

9. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Depends on your goals.

For what it's worth, I raised my eyebrows a few times while reading his post (the guy you are responding to).

Here's the rundown of what is GENERALLY ACCEPTED for F&N and beyond:

Small meal with carbohydrates and protein about an hour before working out. Don't have processed sugars, but whole grains and "better" carbs. This shouldn't be a heavy meal.

If you take creatine, a lot of guys will take it ~30 minutes before a workout with some grape/cranberry juice for faster creatine absorbtion and less creatinine conversion (some people may debate this).

Work out -- BCAAs or a scoop of protein in water while you workout-- some guys like it, I don't do it, but if you want to go for it.

PWO -- get carbs and whey ASAP. You want a faster protein absorption, so many recommend to hold the peanut butter in the PWO shakes because fats will slow absorption. I DO NOT know of anybody who prefers shakes 2 hours after a workout, but if there's a good study on it I'd like to know about it. I don't get crazy about macronutrients, but I'll generally have 2 scoops protein and half a banana in milk and ice. It works out to ~50g protein and 40g carbs -- depending on amount of milk and size of banana. I'm maintaining, so I don't go crazy on calories PWO.

Depending on the creatine (mono, CEE, alkalyn), you may want to take it quickly PWO or about an hour later. Again, it will be personal preference, but on training days people like to have it some time close to or close after working out. Me, I take half before (30 min before) and half after (1 hour after).

Open to discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.