Protein powder stomach ache??

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Skeletor, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I've been drinking my costco Pro-Rated a lot more now and it's giving me stomach aches.... Anybody else experienced this with a certain protein powder, then been able to switch to another brand without the occurence of this feeling?

I think this happened last year when I was drinking a lot of it and after a week or so I got over it... but fuck that shit this is uncomfortable. I'm also interested in some fruity flavored protein powder so I don't have to drink goddamn choco all the time since that's all that pro-rated comes in, but I'd hate to spend the money if it gives me stomach aches too.

2. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

when i was using the GNC one last year it fucked wth my digestion pretty bad. i started using the wheytech pro 24 from vitamin shoppe and for the first 2 days my stomach was all over the place, but now on day 5 its pretty settled.

3. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

i just get intense build up of gas. One time i let one out and it lasted for 4 seconds.

4. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

You could be slightly lactose intolerant. And the protein powder that you're choosing could have lactase in it to neutralize it.

5. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

they don't have "alpine vanilla" flavor out there?

are you drinking your whey with water? or milk? and how many scoops a shake/shakes a day are we talking here?

6. meervincent

meervincent New Member

i get cramps if i drink one on an empty somach

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

2 scoops, with nonfat milk.

They probably have vanilla, but to be honest, my mommy buys it for me :princess: Either way vanilla/milk are desserty type flavors and I'd rather go for something that seems appropriate for the time of day i take em, and also just to mix it up. I'll definitely see what's up with the vanilla.

And I'm not lactose intolerant by any means. I've drank 32oz of milk in half an hour or so many times.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2007
  8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:werd: It's really only when on an empty stomach, or with a meal that has low fat. I took it tonight with a small bowl of rice with a couple tbsp's of EVOO (rachel ray is a goddess of milfery). Now if I had a greasy burger to wash down with the shake, it wouldn't bother my stomach.

At least that's what it seems like from recounting the times its made me sick and the eating behavior that occurred at the time of shake ingestion.

9. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

2 scoops a day isn't really that much... hm...

10. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

oh no wai i was talking about per serving.

I usually only have two shakes per day. Some days I'll skip the morning shake and opt to have a can of tuna or something (even though it's less protein).

The morning shake never bothers me, it's always the late afternoon one.

11. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

r u sure you just dont feel bloated?

12. benny196

benny196 New Member

Try the pre-digested protien.

13. Kuet

Kuet New Member

:greddy:
    say wha-at duuude?? :mamoru:

14. ay thunderrcat

ay thunderrcat You can have all the hoes, I'm gon keep the women.

im not lactose intolerant... and im asian.. i guess im one of the few :eek3:

15. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

It bothers my stomach but I think that's just because I gag while drinking it because I'm so sick of it.

16. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

worked for me :bigthumb:

17. Aradia

Aradia New Member

i do...:mamoru:

18. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

My stomach is a little uneasy after drinking one on an empty stomach. A handful of crackers or cheerios or something similar makes me feel better.

19. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

I get alot of gas :dunno:

20. Leaf

Leaf OT Supporter

I have the same problem. Thing with me those is that I am actually lactose-intolerant. :hs: I've been buying ON since it claims to have a lot of isolates, and even lactase to help break down the rest of it, but I still usually feel shitty for a while. Only problem is I'm in college and poor, and ON is pretty much the best deal I can find that isn't TOO rough on my stomach. Anyone know of anything that's friendlier for the lactose-intolerant but that doesn't cost 2x as much as everything else? Or is that impossible...:hsd:

21. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

but i bet your face still gets red when you drink alcohol :fawk:

22. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

BOO YAH!

I took ccrook's advice and got the EAS vanilla and this shit is fucking perfection. It feels like sex in my mouth and also my stomach ache is beautifully absent.

My only worry is that this stuff is largely based on casein/soy and only partially whey. I'll stick with it for a while and see how it holds up. Another reason why I'm happy about vanilla is I hear it can taste good with the right gatorade combo (orange/fruit punch) which is definitely a plus. This stuff also has a lot of BCAA's in it :coold:

question to Ccrooks: how many scoops do you do per shake? The scoop is really small and 2 scoops = 27g protein.... I did 3 for the one I'm drinking now but might use 4, but that just seems like a lot of powder to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.