Protein expiry (I know, I know)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by qwop, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qwop

qwop underground pirate OT Supporter

I've recently moved jobs, apartments etc and have had quite a few expenses so my money is very very tight. I've been buying cans of sardines, tuna etc (about 30p each) instead of using protein powder because I can't afford the £40 upfront to buy a jar.

Anyway, I got talking to a lad at work about going to the gym when he saw me eating tuna from the tin on my break. I explained that I was off protein powder due to the money and he said that he'd tried bodybuilding a couple of years back but couldn't get into it. He said that he had a jar at home I could have because he would never use it.

He brought it into work today (it's a huge jar of Optimum Nutrition) and I gratefully took it, but I've got it home and noticed that the expiry was 07/09. It tastes fine, and I know it's not going to hurt me - but how efficient is the protein going to be?

I'm trying to keep fairly high macros atm (about 45% protein) and I always mix ON with milk, so I'm wondering if it's going to negatively affect my macros - or is the drop off negligible?

CLIFFS: Got old protein powder and unsure of how much protein it's providing. Should I use it or stick with sardines/tuna?

Thanks guys.

2. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

What the fuck is an expiry? and what is 30p worth in American?

The protein is fine and won't fuck with your macros.

3. qwop

qwop underground pirate OT Supporter

Haha, I even changed the word flat to apartment but the UK-isms creep in without me noticing. Expiry is the expiration date / shelf life / best before / use by date.

30p is about 40-50 cents, I think. I am very poor at the moment!

Thanks dude.

4. synthetic

synthetic New Member

the tuna is more quality protein anyways... whey is not essential

5. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

i've been eating my expired protein. it seems to give me nastier farts than the new stuff but that's about all i've noticed.

6. Finest

Finest OG #93

A couple months out is okay.

A couple years, yea no. Check for any maggots crawling around inside it first.

7. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

i had a 10lb bag of protein go bad on me. i think the bottom got pierced or something, then got wet.

it smelled like DEATH. i was looking to find the cause of smell, found wet bottom of bag, maggots, etc. literally smelled like something had died in there.

8. Jroc

Jroc New Member

Im no expert on the manner but I think as long as it was closed good, it should be okay. Not like it was sitting in water, look through it and make sure it didnt grow mold or have maggots in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.