A&P Protection during shoots

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by phigity, Dec 1, 2009.

1. phigity

phigity New Member

I do a lot of night shoots in back alleys or places most people are afraid to be in. I've always carried a knife but that's more for usefulness then protection. With the thousands of dollars in equipment we carry around are any of you worried that it might get stolen or run into the wrong types of people during a shoot? I just applied for my concealed permit for other reasons but thinking of carrying when I'm in a location that might be problematic. What's your take?

2. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

in VA you can open carry without a permit, but i never recommend it.

get that permit and carry

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

wait ccw for other reasons? that statement clashes. don't you want to carry specifically for problematic situations?

4. phigity

phigity New Member

Yeah I know you can open carry but I don't like that either. I mainly got the permit for traveling (in va of course), camping, and any other time I think I might need it. Just recently thought about carrying while shooting. My only concern is how the models would take it esp if this is the first time shooting them in a dark alley. Would you state that your carrying ahead of the shoot, when you get here, or not at all?

5. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

Will reply in 15 min. Just got to work

6. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

I always say I'll buy it but I still havent: I would carry mace. I wouldn't really wanna get fucked for shooting someone or stabbing someone but if I put em out of commission enough I can at least hold them down for a while and call the cops.

7. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

i dont believe in open carry even its allowed. I dont like people to know im carrying. Also i never go on shoots alone (assistants, friends, lookouts, etc), and am always fully aware of my surroundings. And i am always carrying. I have two ccw's one from Florida and one from NV, so my ccws reciprocate in something like 30 states. I also carry a smaller weapon, i have couple 5" 1911s and a 3.5 para pxt 1911, but those are too heavy and bulky for the type of clothing wear. So i consistently carry me Keltec, Its a PF9 which is very slim, single stack, it stays in a pocket holster and lives in my right back pocket (in place of a wallet, so its easy to draw if someone asks for my wallet), loaded with some 147gr Golden Sabers. :)

8. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

ok sorry came to work and had to make a mad dash to the bathroom. breakfast didn't agree with me

ANYWAY

These are things I firmly believe in, and what I've believed in for the last 4 years since I started carrying

1) Open carrying is dumb and just asking for trouble/harassment. Sure it's legal in a lot of places, but it just screams bad news in so many ways.

2) Conceal carry in a comfortable way that you can move around. Don't be paranoid that people can see it. Make sure it's fully covered, and most people aren't looking for it. I carry my glock 19 in my front pocket with a sheeth over it. I look at my leg and laugh and how obvious it looks, but no one has ever noticed because people aren't looking for guns.

3) TELL NO ONE No one needs to know. Don't tell friends or family. There is no benefit to telling anyone, especially people you are working with or models. If they feel scared about the environment, either try to calm them by saying you shoot there often or simply move. Don't say you're carrying a gun as a way of calming them

4) Shoot your gun often and clean it often. Know every square inch of the gun and be comfortable with what you carry. Practice safe habits with it.

5) I always recommend carrying it chambered and ready to go. There is no point to idiots that carry a gun with an empty chamber or with a revolver that has 5/6 rounds.

Trust you gun. Most modern guns have good safeties. My glock 19 has no physical safety, only a trigger safety and 2 internals. It was an adjustment going from a taurus I used to carry that had the side safety you would flip.

9. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

If you are getting down on your knees and moving a lot, carrying on your waist might be uncomfortable.

Try a pocket holster like this (what I use)

[​IMG]

It tries to hide the gun print and it keeps the gun snug and vertical. It's also nice because the gun is below your waist, meaning you can move around and not be jabbed in the side with it.

I don't suggest ankle holsters. Carrying in the middle of your back is also dumb.

If you want, invest in an under arm holster. They are expensive, but under your arm is very hidden and very easy to move with. Practice getting to it though, because you need to go under your shirt and unlatch it.

10. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

and know the laws of VA. make sure you are aware when and when not the law will back you. scary looking guy approaching you? can't shoot him.

11. turbodude

im sure when he goes to get his CCW license his course should go over that with him :)

12. phigity

phigity New Member

Lots of good advice everyone. I didn't plan on telling the model I was carrying bc that just doesn't seem like a good idea. I've got a sub compact springfield xd 40cal but it's a little bulky even though its small. Might have to change my attire for shoots so I can carry a little easier. Either that or just get something a little smaller. I go to the range all the time and and very comfortable with it and using it.

13. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

hopefully. i still have mine from PA. PA you just go and get it. I wish they had a reliable info sheet they gave you for laws. instead they give you recommendations like "you shouldn't carry while drinking" and bla bla bla. it's all opinions

14. turbodude

practice drawing and firing. Most ranges wont allow you to do this, ive been lucky enough to have alot of open desert to practice this.Make sure to first practice with no ammo, go slow and make sure you are not firing until after the barrel is pointed. And practice it.

15. turbodude

geez, Florida was fairly simple, electronic fingerprinting, then 5 hour course. In Vegas it was a little more tough, 8 hour course, and then you had to apply for every weapon you intend to carry and show proficiency in firing. So i have one for my Para and one for my Keltec.

16. phigity

phigity New Member

They just passed a law in VA where you can watch a 1hr video online and answer 20 questions and take the passing grade to the clerk's office to get your license. I know some states require range time with a live person and some don't care at all. Just funny how VA of all places allows a video to take place of real training

17. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

it's also awesome that VA is the safest place in the DC area. DC and MD have a lot of crime. VA is pretty safe. DC and MD are both anti-gun. HMMMMMMMM INTERESTING :hsugh:

Anyone have the link to this video? I wouldn't mind watching it.

18. phigity

phigity New Member

I've got the link at home but ill post it tonight. You do have to pay $40 to watch it but that's better then the $100 for formal training.

19. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

uggh. i'll pay $40 if it covers laws and situations where you can use deadly force. i'm not interested in knowing that i shouldnt walk around with my finger on the trigger

20. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I don't have, carry, or use a gun. I don't own a knife other than the ones to cut up my steak. The only pepper spray I have is if I eat too much and have to cough.

With that said, I only get shots like that if I am with others and can somehow not carry a lot of equipment at one time. If i can go during the day, even better. If not, I reconsider.

21. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I'm really thinking of getting a CHL and a gun for my day job, but some of places I shoot here in Houston aren't exactly the safest neighborhoods either. So I think it would be a good idea for me to invest in a good/small revolver. :o

22. phigity

phigity New Member

Wait I thought the only safe way of carrying was to zip tie the trigger back so nothing can move it

23. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i'm shocked u are in TX and do not carry :squint:

don't get a revolver. the old days of them being a great reliable carry are kind of overshadowed by the new insanely reliable automatics like glocks or xd's. slim and smooth to carry and not bulky like a revolver. plus 13-19 rounds > 6 rounds

carry totally unloaded and ask bad guy to give you 10sec to load

24. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

Wisconsin is terrible. I want my CCW unfortunately it's not allowed here.
    I would have my 45 on me all the time.

Instead I carry an OTF switchblade like the rest of the huge mexican population here.

25. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

I did not know you were this smart :eek3:

:bowdown: to you.