A&P Protecting my gear, advice needed....

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by spahndirge, Jul 8, 2008.

1. spahndirge

spahndirge Scumbag Member

I'm got my new 40D two weeks ago and I need a good bag, I've been looking at tamrac and lowepro, but I'm not sure which I should go for. Could anyone give me some advice?

I'm looking at the lowepro slingshot as I've been using one for college for a while, but I'm not sure how good they'd be for photo gear. Are the sling desigs good in comparison to others?

Also, I'm wondering if I should get some nice lens cases, but I'm unsure whether I'd use them if I get a good backpack for my gear.

All I have at the moment is 1 Lens and the 40D, but I'm going to get another 2 lenses by the end of the year. So, I don't really need a huge bag, I think.

Anyone have any advice for me please?

2. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

They pretty much all do what they are supposed to do. If you go with any of the following brands you'll be fine:

Tenba
    Tamrac
    Kata
    LowePro
    Domke
    Crumpler
    Mountainsmith
    Think Tank

Beyond that, you just have to look at bags and see which one you want to be comfortable with. It a bit like asking us what a good pair of shoes for you would be. A good bag really comes down to personal preferences.

:dunno:

BTW, lens cases are really unnecessary. Skip them.

3. spahndirge

Cheers for the advice, the only predicament I'm in is that I can't try out any decent camera bags, there's no camera shops where I live. I'm thinking that the slingshot might be up my alley as I'm used to that type of bag.

Excellent, thanks :)

4. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

I've got the Crumpler 6 million dollar home and I like it a lot. Messenger style so it doesn't "look" like a photo bag. It fits my xti, kit lens, 50mm, 70-200, and 24-70 lenses with plenty of room to spare.

5. ¤

¤ New Member

+1 for the Crumpler 6 million dollar home,
    if you're into messenger style camera bags that don't scream "I HAVE LOTS OF EXPENSIVE CAMERA EQUIPMENT IN HERE!"

Anything smaller than the 6 m.d.h. bag would be too tight of a squeeze for a 40D plus a couple of lenses and accessories.

6. spahndirge

One thing I'm unsure about is which design is most practical? The sling design, the messenger design or the standard backpack? I like the idea of the messenger, it just looks like a standard bag, but would it be prone to bumping off things? (I'm traveling flying to NY soon for 2 weeks and don't want it to get knocked around the place).

7. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

i have a large backpack that is great for traveling, i can fit everything including chargers and my laptop in it. i'm looking for a smaller messenger bag though for when i just want to take my camera, a couple lenses, and a flash though.

edit - what i'm trying to say with all that is that there probably isn't a single bag that will be perfect for every situation you'll come across. its best to get the one that you will be most comfortable with and use the most.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  8. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I have the Dakine Sequence and love it.

The bag and camera travel in the car and on the train with me every day, where I usually end up wandering around the city...

It's big enough to fit everything, comfortable enough to wear all day, and safe enough that my stuff doesn't leave the bag unless i'm shooting.

and it doesn't look like a camera bag, so no one knows what's in it. Theft deterrent FTW!

But it's a backpack, and pretty big. So it's kinda the opposite of a messenger bag.

9. MastaCow

MastaCow I love cup.

I like my Crumpler 7mil. Might move up to the Brazillion to accommodate my new 17" mbp though.

10. mtkversion

mtkversion Good Times Aplenty

11. spahndirge

Thanks, nice review. I bought the SlingShot 200 about 2 hours ago :) I think I prefer the sling design over the backpack. Last time I went traveling, I used just a standard sling bag and got used to it, ut it had velcro straps which were a pain in the ass.

12. kenmei

kenmei squatty potty OT Supporter

really? :noes: i was on the fence about 5mdh and 6mdh but didn't purchase yet :o

what do you/can you fit in the 6mdh? and how big is it when you carry it (does it get in the way much?)