MMA Prospectus Canibalis

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by machine, Jan 27, 2009.

1. machine

machine Welcome to the Machine OT Supporter

Long read, cliffs at bottom.

Cliffs: New talent is being given elite competition too soon.

While Soko had no place facing Lil' Nog in his 4th MMA fight with a 2-1 record against unknown opposition, he established himself as a threat to any elite competition after subsequently knocking out Arona as well. Should he have been relegated to mid-level competition after this? I think he's earned a chance to continue testing himself against top competition.. Breen talks of his need to develop a more rounded MMA game - but there's plenty of top level fighters who rely on one aspect of MMA, and tend to neglect other parts of the sport. Liddell, Yvel, and Aoki spring to mind. And it's not as if Soko is just a puncher either - his Judo pedigree is not to be forgotten.

As far as Buentello losing only to AA and Overeem in the past 5 years goes: Those are the only fighters worthy of note he has stepped in the ring with. His list of victims include Villareal, Tank Abbot and Gary Goodridge. I'd say he was a fair test for a fighter who wants to elevate himself above the likes of those names.

Thoughts?

2. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

the author of that article is trying really hard to sound erudite

3. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

You should hear his radio show.

4. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

He has some points, but I don't think there were any problems with the matchups last weekend. Buentello is a veteran, but like you said he lost to good HW's but hasn't quite beaten anyone really relevant as far as I know. It was definitely a wakeup call for Sidelnikov. Soko had all the tools to beat Babalu, and I honestly thought he would seeing how Chuck ended his day twice. But the more experienced guys used their experience well respectively and they deserve accolades instead of giving credit to the matchmakers for their wins.

5. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

Soko has earned the right to fight anybody in the sport with who he had beaten. His failing is his part in not advancing his game in a better fashion. I think of him sort of like a modern day randleman, except he uses his judo less than randleman used his wrestling.

I also agree with the authors overall point, but dissagree with these two examples.

6. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Sokos judo sucks cause he hasnt adapted it into his MMA game the damn fool