GUN Prospective New Gun Owner:

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jackhole, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Will be applying for a concealed weapons permit on my birthday when I turn 21.

I'm looking for a gun to buy when I get the permit. I know nothing about guns, but have a friend who is a firearms instructor. I don't know what I want to get. I'll be using it for home security, as well as armed security for work. What kind of gun should I get.

Please post pics if you make a suggestion. Thanks!

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i'd say a glock, without a doubt for several reasons, if it's comfortable in your hands.

first of all, it's the most proven pistol out there as far as durability, reliability, and simplicity. there are very few moving parts, which means an easy disassembly and cleaning. it also means less to break, which is one of the reasons that they're so reliable. they have a bit less accuracy than some other pistols, but they're capable of minute of man. if you know how to shoot well, you don't have to worry about the accuracy. you'll never shoot a competition with your carry pistol if it's a glock. not to say glocks don't shoot competitions, just not in the same form as a carry pistol.

glocks are pretty much indestructable. they've done just about everything to a glock that you can think of, from submersion, to dropping from heights, to running them over with big trucks, to freezing them in blocks of ice. the things don't break, and they function perfectly afterwards, and still shoot as accurately as before. a glock will never accidentally go off. it will fire if you have pull the trigger. it will not discharge for any other reason.

on the converse side, you have a few other manufacturers who are copying a few of glock's ideas, namely springfield's XD pistols. however, while they are less expensive, they are also less proven, and just a bit more complicated. also, i don't know if you can get hi-capacity mags for the smaller, more carry-friendly models, unless you are law enforcement.

the XD is close to a glock, except a bit more comfortable, and with a beaver-tail safety, like a 1911. both the glock and the XD have a trigger safety, which prevents the pistol from discharging without pulling the trigger. the XD has a weirder trigger feel to it, while glocks are all the same 5.5lb. trigger pull, smooth all the way through. XD's are adjustible from 5.5 to 7.7lbs, and have a change in the feel part-way through the pull. you'd just have to get used to it. not a major hang-up.

however, if you're going to carry, i'd suggest going with the G19, since it's a bit more compact, and easier to conceal than the full-size glocks, and being chambered in 9mm still gives you 15 rounds in your mag, whereas if you can't get hi-cap mags for the XD compact, which is about the same size (the 4" barrel model XD has a slide length of 7", which is .15" longer than the G19), then you're stuck with a 10 rd. capacity. and the G19 will take the full-size glock's mags, so you can put a G17 hi-cap, which is 17 rds in it, and have a bit hanging out. that'd be if you weren't carrying concealed and only had G17 mags.

[​IMG]

springfield XD 4", in "bi-tone". i'd opt for all black if i got one.
    http://www.springfieldarmory.com/prod-xdpstl-service.shtml

[​IMG]

Glock 19. my choice for concealed carry.
    http://www.glock.com/te_g19.htm

i'm probably forgetting something about one of them, but there are also other pistols to think about too. i'm just biased toward glocks, so i'm going to let others talk about the other pistols.

3. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

im all for getting a bazooka

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Get your friend to take you to a good gunshop and try fondling anything made by Beretta, S&W, Glock, H&K, Ruger, SIG Sauer, Kahr, or Springfield.

Try to tune out advice being offered while you're doing this. Just try and find something that feels "right" in your hand. That's the best way to start off.

Then do like was suggested and try to beg, borrow, or rent the chance to shoot even just a few rounds through as many different kinds as possible.

It's best to start with a 9mm, but any major caliber such as 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, or .357 SIG will be fine for purposes of home defense.

If carrying it concealed is not an immediate concern, investigate getting a S&W or Ruger revolver in .38 Special or .357 Magnum (you can actually shoot the .38's through a .357 Mag as well, so it pays to go with the .357). Revolvers are a great, IMO the best, way of learning how to handle a gun and shoot. Not to mention they're lower maintenance and more (only slightly these days, but more nonetheless) reliable than a semi-auto.

5. KW

KW Guest

Also be sure to work with and understand the manual of arms of each of the guns you try. There are some differences in how you would carry and employee a 1911 vs. a Glock vs. a Sig for example. You definitly want to choose a gun that uses a system you are comfortable with, or you could end up with the safety on at the wrong time or having and accidental discharge.