Pros: Today's the day, go big or go home.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Morgan06, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Got an email from a regional executive with a follow up from a very large, national company's general manager. Lots of potential customers and something that could contribute a very large amount of income to my business.

Admittedly, it was a slow first year. That was to be expected and properly prepared for. But today might be a large step forward when I make the call early this afternoon and give my first big marketing pitch. New year, new business name and eagerly anticipating some much needed growth.

First I was :eek3: but now I'm :noes:. Wish me luck!

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

sweet. good luck!

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Cool details, Scottwax. :mamoru:

4. Original

Original OT Supporter

:hay:

5. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

You don't get to use that one too often, I understand. :love:

6. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

This hints at wholesale work.

Have fun with that.

7. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Been there, fuck that.

This is a company that owns and operates 15+ commercial and corporate parking garages in the state capital and have offered me exclusive rights to provide mobile detailing services, each with 300-500 vehicles. :naughty:

I've been able to convert some of their competition's customers to new accounts for them, solely based on the service I provide. That's a testament to the quality of work I've been producing, and word went up the chain of command. A representative and I are visiting the properties next week to check height clearances and approve locations for my posters to be displayed.

8. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Excellent! Best of luck. :bigthumb:

9. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Thanks guys.

I'd estimate that only 10% of my business comes from the few parking garages I currently advertise in, but this will quadruple my visibility and for less than $100 in printing/laminating costs. A big deal for me, and to be associated with such a large company is a great way to gain consumer confidence. :bowdown:

10. Scottwax

Nice to hear you seem to be on the verge of something really big. Keep us posted. :)

11. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

I'm really happy for you. This could send your business through the roof, are you ready for it? Maybe I should ask if you are prepared for it? It is good to be busy, especially in this crappy economy. To be prepared and handle the growth well, could be the difference in a short-lived opportunity and long term, professional growth.

:h5:

12. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Get some reliable Mexicans, and pound out those $25 wash/vacs.

One plus to these gigs...half the customers pay in ca$h.

13. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Had to up my insurance policy to a 1mil/2mil liability coverage- $800 per year to enter this market. Going to rebuild the pressure washer engine, purchase a backup Makita and dump the QX4 in favor of an Astro van.

My nga.

Yes, ready. My first year was successful in terms of surviving, business was enough to pay the bills but that's it. That made me hungry. In terms of being prepared I'm 75% there, but business won't pick up until March so I've got time to top off the tanks.

$50 wash/vac/windows/cupholders. It'd be worth it at $25 if the location could supply the water, electric and drainage permits so I could do a traditional wash instead of ONR. And half of all my customers pay cash already.

14. Scottwax

Personally, I find ONR washes faster anyway. Working with my Dad, we ONR'ed the body of his car in under 10 minutes when I was teaching him how to do it.

15. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

It isn't much faster for me to wash the body the conventional way, but when I factor in wheels, wells, jambs it just seems to be easier. I will admit that ONR for cleaning paint is equally as fast at least and definitely prevents scratching while producing better results.

16. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

hell yeah, man! hope you get it! and if you get busy enough to need employees, I'd recommend talking to an accountant and your insurance agent to see what you'll need to add to cover them.

17. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

also, you may do some research to find out what kind of wages to pay them according to what some local full service washes pay their detail guys.

18. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

:h5:

I'm not looking that far ahead. If all these added locations combined were to add two full days or 16+ more hours per week I'd be surprised and still very comfortable by myself with a decent profit and healthy ROI. Best part is, they're all within a few blocks and five minutes of each other.

Once I start turning away big and easy money jobs then I will consider hiring employees. I know two that I've personally trained that would jump at the chance to get out of dealer work.

I also spent some time this week at the RV/Camping convention with a mobile RV tech I know who rented a booth. Handed out 100+ flyers and built a few relationships with area campground owners. Nobody provides these services in my area! Gold mine market, helped net multiple $500+ days last year and it doesn't cost shit in materials.

19. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Well I've been getting bounced around to all the execs marketing my services and the potential benefits. Looks like I'm in where I want to be, only have to meet the on site manager on Monday. Should be good right?

Wrong. Just spoke to this guy on the phone and he's got a bad accent. I swear I understand more Spanglish than I do the properly spoken English from a deep Jamaican accent like his. He's going to ask me questions and I'll be like ":ugh:... wat?"

I'm so fucked. :rofl:

20. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

oh that sounds like fun.

21. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Well he wasn't that bad in person, but he did have an eye twitch that almost threw me off as bad as the accent would have.

We will start with 5 of the 12+ garages, all enclosed. The operations manager specifically told me he doesn't want to target facilities that are already at capacity, but I will still be allowed to provide services at the remainder. Proposed garage sizes represented in number of average parked cars: 300, 600, 900, 1600 & 2200. :bowdown:

They want to introduce an incentive for new subscribers. Buy 3 months of pre paid parking and the management company will pay me for a $50-$65 express detail. Additionally, full marketing allowed including rights to hang my 11"x16" posters at elevators and entrance lobbies.

So far so good, but like anything in the corporate world it's still at least a few weeks away from start up.