Pros and Cons of P4 vs. Athlon 64

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Labster, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I'm looking into building a new computer and I can't decide between a 3.4ghz P4 and an Athlon 64 3700. If someone could tell me what the performance differences would be that would be great, I'm pretty clueless on this. Thanks!

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

64-bit is the way of the future. The AMD probably has a similar MHz rating to the P4, but with a 64-bit OS the AMD will be way faster. I'd definetely go with the AMD.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the p4 will encode an mp3 faster... other than that, the AMD will kick the p4's ass.

also, intel made a press-release yesterday that they will NOT be releasing a 4GHz prescott as they initially planned. 3.8 will be the final P4 speed, with a 3.73 release by the end of the year.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

go AMD for sure if you want the raw power.

5. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

I would say that most people in this forum are pro AMD.

I am happy with my P4, and that's where I stand. I must say that the 64bit AMDs are pretty damn good though, they are finally being able to compete with the Intel again. With the Althon XP... AMD sucked ass pretty bad.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Some programs compiled specifically with P4 optimizations will perform better on the P4 than the AMD.

7. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

Id have to disagree there man they are what turned me on to AMD in the first place. I dont know about Athlon XP I never owned one of those but before I upgraded to my new 64 I had a ~1ghz original Athlon and it rocked for 4 years or something without falling seriously behind

8. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Fixed, I was really talking about the Late Althon XP when compared with the P4 at the time.

Pre-Northwood P4 sucked, Althon ruled back then. I started using AMD with the K6, and then the Althon. The problem that I had was the thermal management compared to the Northwood P4.

But then, Prescott P4 sucked ass on Socket 478, and we have yet to see the real advantage of Socket 775 (we won't til some times when PCI Express and DDR2 really take off)

So, I honestly believe that AMD and Intel tie at this point as far as their future outlook is concerned.

9. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

The only down side of the 64 chip is waiting for the software to catch up with the hardware. Once it does though, you can laugh at the people that doubted the power of the 64 bit chip.

10. xivera

xivera Active Member

Which is better for audio + video/image editing?

11. Penguin Man

Not entirely sure, but I'm gonna go with the 64, since it can handle a lot more throughput and has more raw processing power. The 64-bit G5 owns at multimedia stuff.

12. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

thanks guys!

13. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

I don't think the performance gain from a Native 64bit OS will be anywhere near to 100%. It doesn't work that way.

The main advantage of native 64bit processing, is the among of memory that a program is able to use. This only help a selective number of people at this point, and for most desktop users, they won't benefit from it.

There are algorithms that will be optimized for 64bit and will run much faster, but wait til you get 64bit OS with all driver issue sort out, and wait til the platform matures. Til then, it doesn't make all that much difference.

With that said, the performance of the Althon 64s are very good. Stick with socket 939, then you will be fine. But you don't pay less for going with AMD no more. I had rather stick with P4 and overclock the $hit out of it. But that's just me...

14. Penguin Man

64-bit OS with drivers is already out, it's called SuSE.

15. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

Ok I dont entirely understand the difference between socket numbers
    they are the number of pins right?
    so how do you know what kind of features an amount of pins will provide, is it just specified by the manufacturer on their website or something?
    And why is socket 939 better for AMDs?

16. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Actually the 64bit athlon version of Windows XP is in pre-release, and many drivers are available for it already.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Incorrect... The EM64T is not supported by win64 yet... although it is planned for final release.

18. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

OK, that was directly quoted from the MSDN download site for Windows XP Pro 64bit 2003 Preview edition. If it is incorrect, take it up with Microsoft.

19. Penguin Man

Why use a pre-release of a shitty OS when you can use a final release of a real OS? :dunno:

20. xivera

xivera Active Member

Thanks guys!

For a moment, I was going to chime in about a 64 bit OS to utilize a 64 bit chip but, you guys already touched on it already... anyway...

question: Which would you recommend if you were not to oc it? (for HTPC/silent pc purposes)

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

HTPC = AMD.... runs cooler, which means your pc can be quieter....

and as for the SuSE comment, I just have to say that's one of the worst distro's I've used.... but that's my opinion :p

22. gutterslide

gutterslide Guest

AMD64 gets my vote. i'm building my own this week, waiting for the parts to arrive.

but, if you're planning to spend the money for a 3700+, why not invest alittle more and get an FX series processor?

23. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

:)
    I didn't know SUSE was a pre-release :)

Just kidding. Seriously though, maybe because he wants to run windows software and games? I am not advocating running the prerelease version, just noting that 64bit XP does exist, and should be available....someday

24. SLED

just curious why you think this. SuSE is labeled one of the best distro's for hardware support, useability, and windows desktop replacement. It's not my fav distro for a pure server (too many things that are installed, which are not needed). Not arguing, just wonder why you came to the conclusion that you did.

25. SLED

for the record, i have XP 64bit, server 2003 64bit, and SuSE 64bit all installed. Now i know that the win64 versions are still pre-release, but i've found that SuSE runs quite a bit better than the win versions.