Props to scottwax and a question

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by quamen, Dec 13, 2003.

1. quamen

quamen New Member

Well I know it has been said most likely before, but ill say it again. Scottwax i really appreciate your time and energy of answering all the questions on the board, throughly and very in depth of detail. Your product review threads are amazing and take all the guess work and trial and error of finding and using top notch products. I think the info is so good and well written, that you should consider putting out a book on detailing with your knowledge. Im am so motivated by your posts, and by the work you have completed that i viewed on your website.

Now once again a couple questions. As you know im starting my own business this up coming season more as a full time job, not just friends and relatives deals. I was viewing your website and noticed all the black cars, and dark cars that swirls look bad as hell on. Do you even use a buffer to make your cars look like that? I personally dont like the idea of using a buffer at all, it seems to be like more work and all. Well a rotary at least i hate, but a DA i love. I want to really toss the high speed, but i dont know if i can detail without it in case a car is badly swirled. What were your experiences on vehicles like this and did u have to use the high speed buffer?

Also your washing techinque. i have a pickup, but more of a show pickup truck which i have to make my detail vehicle. YOu use the back of your honda and have no water tank etc, but still get amazing results, how?? that wash techinque?

A mobile detailing tent. i noticed that i never see you use a tent to provide shade. What happens if ther is no shade around how can u detail in the sun and get good results. most stuff says dont detail in the sun?

Thanks again
    Rich

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

You don't need a DA for complete swirl removal, I remove by hand all the time. As far as washing without a water tank, check out Quick 'n Easy Wash (search, there was a thread on it not too long ago), no water necessary other than a few gallons to mix it with.

I've never had a problem with detailing in the sun, I always do it indoors. Mobile detailers like Scott (and soon you!) don't really have that luxury. I'm not sure what Scott does.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

quamen-glad to know the effort I've put into this forum is helping people and thanks for letting me know that. It's pretty cool seeing so many regulars of this forum detailing on the side and considering doing it full time.

I do all my swirl removal by hand (check the swirl removal sticky), but I am getting a PC pretty soon. New paints are a lot harder than when I started detailing full time in 1994. A PC should be enough to take care of everything except the worst vehicles. A rotary is nice if you really know how to use one, but they can cut through paint so fast it probably isn't worth using one if a PC will do the job.

I wash cars using Protect All's Quick and Easy Wash (QEW) www.protectall.com is their site. It only takes a gallon of water to wash a car, so I just carry a 5 gallon jug of water in my trunk. One of these days if I can remember to take a pic, I post a shot of how my trunk is set up.

Most of the time in the summer, I can do the polishing and waxing in the person's garage, but if I am on an office parking lot, I end up working in the sun. The wind always seems to be blowing 10-20 mph around here, so I'd need really solid bases for the poles and I just don't have room in my car. You can use Poorboy's ( www.poorboysworld.com ) and Clearkote ( www.clearkote.net ) products in the sun.

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

5. Scottwax

Learn something new every day, eh? :wiggle:

6. quamen

quamen New Member

oh yeah more questions lol

what happens when u get these bad paints? do u just let the customer know everything cant be removed? it must suck though not being able to remove the swirl marks. all your pics for customers cars look great though

7. Scottwax

If you feel someone's paint is beyond your ability to improve on, let them know and ask if they'd like to you proceed to get some improvement. Sometimes there is nothing you can do, like in the case of peeling clearcoats. Just be upfront with the customer before starting.