Proposed Project - Online Personal Manager

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Cranky, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Cranky

Cranky New Member

I need 1 spot, accessable from anywhere, to manage my finances, hours, dates, appointments and contacts. Im going to use PHP an MySQL. Im looking for someone who is interested in helping, or I'll just keeping this post here and get input/feedback and help.

Im sure there is software out there that will do all this and then some, but im wanting something more custom and cool looking. I can use notepad if I wanted.

It will be great to learn from, also. So far I have:

Setup - Create a user account and setup visualization
    Login - Verifiy user
    Home Page - User spcifies whats viewed here in setup
    Banking - Add accounts, monitor funds, balace books, links to URL's to pay bills
    Calander - Manage appoitments, important dates, bills due, payday.
    Contacts - Manage contact information
    Payroll - Manage hours worked, pay days.
    Notes - Sticky notes
    To Do - Obvious

What am I missing, what would you want to see here? I plan on making modular and each module, listed above, interacts with its appropriate partners. ex: calander w/ payroll.

What do you think? Am I wasting my time?

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

sounds cool, but my pda does that for me :)

im in if u want. i can put up a sub domain for a beta server if u want.

3. Cranky

Cranky New Member

:cool: I cant buy my pda for a few weeks, I gotta have a nice one, hehe. I was running the my sql/php/apache locally to test.

4. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

you can get most of that from Yahoo! for free :)

5. Cranky

Cranky New Member

Mines not costing me anything :dunno: Anyone can go do it at yahoo, but what if no one ever challenged them selves to do something. We would have the same old stuff. I would rather make my own.

6. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

:) that's fine - I just thought you wanted to know if one existed or not :wiggle:

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

What would be really smooth is have a way to sync up the web site with a PDA (and back again).

I've got PHP code that can tap Palm's address book (although it doesn't allow the user to sync any changes back to the address book - I just haven't felt it was worth the time). If I was really motivated, I could probably grab the date book too...

8. Cranky

Cranky New Member

Thats awesome. ind sharing the code? If so email it in a txt file attachment, [email protected]

I dont have a palm at the moment but I plan on one in the future, and that would be pretty sweet. If you dont mind being a test dummy with your palm till I get mine that'd be great.

Status as of right now, im working on a GUI. Playing with a few options. I have 80 hours of work this week between m two jobs so time will be minimal, but ill have more time very soon.

9. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Sounds like a very cool project to me... Only thing I would be concerned about is security, since you might have sensitive banking and personal contact information in there.

10. CyberBullets

thats why we see if we can get some encryption, duh. :p

11. Cranky

Cranky New Member

We can use 128bit encryption, SSL.

12. CyberBullets

dont we have to buy a licence from verisign?

13. eof

eof New Member

only if you go live with it....

if you are just testing it on a test server then you can use unverified certificates i believe. (i may be way off on this one...:dunno:)

14. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

eof: You're correct. Depending on the server, there's tools that allow you to build and install a certificate, but by default, that certificate has not been signed. The browser will moan and complain about this, but for development, thats ok. When its time to go live, you can then get the certificates signed (Verisign does it and I could swear there's another site/company that does it and they're way cheaper).

15. eof

eof New Member

Astro: You're correct. There are several companys now that sign certificates....and most are cheaper then verisign. :)

16. Cranky

Cranky New Member

Well im gunno look into scycronizing with PDA's and making it accessable on a 2.5G cell phone and of course online. Im working on a few flow charts to plan features, then a GUI. Then I can start coding.

If I do like I want, I want to have image hosting, for camera phones, make it compatible with cell phones and wireless PDA'S and the internet. If I decide to go live ill swallow the cost of getting a verisigned certificate, hosting and what ever licensing I need. Set it all up on a subscription based service, no more than 3 bucks a month w/ image hosting, 1.50 w/o.

Most of the features are things I want, and I love wireless connectivity, plus ill learn a huge amount. Im not out to make money with it, nor am I going to rush anything, but I definatley want to make i feature packed. Manage every aspect of a young pesons life. Money, dates, numbers, hours, and anything else you can think off. Addresses, pictures, what ever.

17. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Sounds cool.

Hey, there will always be competition. Just focus on making the best product you can. If it's good enough, and you know how to market it, then everything should fall into place.

18. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

www.yodlee.com

check out that sight for ideas maybe

I was working on a similar project to what you are talking about and yodlee a few years ago just did not have the time or the money to get it started...

Mine was to be called myPLOP.com
    Protected
    Lists
    Of
    Passwords

cool sound project though, good luck!

19. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Sounds like you're really going to make a go of it... If you can get it all working they way you've described, that would be very very cool.

20. Cranky

Cranky New Member

Thanks. This week is almost over so I will be able to go back to my normal schedule and have more time to put foward.

21. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

You're probably gonna want people to be able to input the bills they're paying, how much they are, when they're due, etc, so then the payroll field can show your earnings AND spendings...

22. Cranky

Cranky New Member

great idea, thats the reason I posted here. Progress is slow right now, im still tinkering with ideas for a GUI. Work is hectic until next week. then it slows down.

23. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

why not offer a service that will pay your bills online. Have then put in their checking acct. # and routing #, and then they can list the agencies that accept these kinds of payments and then make the payment for them (with a fee obviously).

For me it would be my truck, nextel, and citibank bills. I could either authorize the payment each month, or set up an automatic payment system where the site would make the payment for me every month.

Most of my accounts offer these services online already, but how cool would it be to just have one place to go to manage your bills and stuff.

24. Cranky

Cranky New Member

That would be awesome an I know alot of people who could use something like that. The start of the project will be version .01. I'll increase the versions until I leave the 'beta' stage an launch version one, that will have a majority of the bigger features finished. The next big version, 2.x I wanna have all the wireless stuff ready and the 128bit encryption. 3.x id like to intergrate the service like bill pay.

25. CyberBullets

sorry for the SUPER OLD BUMP, but...

astro, ive been busy doing some webdev for myself (working on expanding my php) i was wondering if i could get a copy of that code to see how you work with the palm. i was trying to figure out how to maniplutate the dba exported file, but i couldnt find anywhere about the file structure :hs:

my goal: setup an Active Desktop on my 2nd monitor that can interface with my PALM m500 so i can sync, it grabs the new changes (or gives them) and im good to go.

maybe implement this into my personal blog too? i dont know.