Proposal Question.....

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by LongDongWong, Jan 2, 2007.

1. LongDongWong

LongDongWong U can call me Mr.Wong

Would it be tacky if I proposed to my GF with a small inexpensive ring ($1,000) and let her know that in about a years time or less the ring will be bigger($3,000-5,000), but for now it has to be a small itty bitty ring......:hsugh:

what does everybody think or is this just a shi*&^y ?....

2. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

if she gets pissed over the size of the ring then she isn't worth your time. An engagement shouldn't be about the ring or the money that bought it, it should be about the commitment and the love that goes with it.

3. LongDongWong

LongDongWong U can call me Mr.Wong

I was thinking the same thing....but thought I would just ask.....another thing that is bugging me is how her mom will react if the ring does not have a giant diamond on it.....but what should it matter right? I mean I'm marrying her and not her mom...

4. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

personally I don't think your goal should be to make her happy with a ring

YOU are her reward, not the ring and the wedding.

If you really want to get her a $3000 ring, wait until you can afford to spend that much.

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Same thing I always write in these threads:

1. Any girl who bases ANYTHING on the size or cost of a ring is not worth being with.

2. I would not marry a chick who would not accept a CZ or other sim in place of a diamond. The girl I marry will be financially intelligent enough to realize that the money spent on a diamond would be better off being used as a) a downpayment on a house or b) and investment to help ensure our financial future.

3. If the woman insists on a real diamond, she will pay for half of it. Here is why: if you get married, your assets combine, anyway, so it doesn't matter from whom the money comes. Say you each have $5k. Say the ring costs $4k (I'm making numbers up here). If you pay for it, you have $1k, she has $5k, you get married and you have $6k. If you split it, you have $3k, she has $3k, and you get married and you have $6k. The net result is the same. Now, chick logic will not understand this, but like I said, I wouldn't marry a chick who insists on a real diamond, anyway.

3.5. And if we get a real diamond, it will not be tacky. Some women are stupid and want a big rock no matter what. They'd take a yellow stone with a tons of inclusions as long as it was 2ct so they could tell all their friends they have a 2ct ring. These women are stupid.

4. My one caveat to rule 2 is that, after we have been married for 5 or 10 years and are doing well finacially, we can replace the sim with a real diamond if she wants and if it provides no financial burden to do so.

5. Since most women still insist on a real diamond, do NOT go into debt for one. Get zero % financing if you want, but do not spend more than you could afford to pay, in cash, right now. Do not take out a loan for a ring. Do not go into debt over a girl. A diamond holds sentimental value but nothing else. It is not an investment. It is a tradition propagated by DeBeers. It is not legally required for a marriage to occur.

So to answer your question, no, it is not tacky. It is a smart thing to do financially. You could probably get a sim for under $500 total ($15 for the CZ + $300-400 for a good setting from a jewelry store), anyway. Just make sure you tell her it's a sim, and make sure she's cool with that. If you wanna go with a real $1k diamond, that's cool, too. But discuss it with her. She's the one who has to wear it so she should be involved in the decision.

6. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Good. Sounds like your girl is smart.

Agreed. Find something you both agree on and are both comfortable with.

7. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I think that's a wonderful idea. If I was proposed to w/o a ring and just the promise of eventually getting one I'd still be happy with that. It's supposed to be the commitment that excites her, not the size or cost of the ring....and if she cares she's a whore.

8. tominos

tominos New Member

9. sparq

sparq New Member

Well depends on the girl to be honest...

10. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

:werd: BTW I love my $300 ring and still wear it 8 years later.

11. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

:love:

Tigre already told me if he ever proposes it'll be with an onion ring.

12. sparq

sparq New Member

:bowrofl: