SRS Proper Nutrition and Exercise

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Determined, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Determined

Determined New Member

Has anyone else had success with this to overcome mental illnesses?

2. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

That method is the bullshit, never works, ignorant person recommends so they can pretend they are useful method.

3. Joybang

Joybang New Member

Maybe to a certain extent. But if your body is healthy and clean you WILL feel better and I think it will give you a stronger base to start fighting your mental problems. You can't honestly say that being in very good shape physically doesn't affect your mental state.

4. B4 I FU R U 18

B4 I FU R U 18 Active Member

it could only help. exercise for many people is a great stress reliever and having a more physically fit body often raises your self esteem. i agree with above ^^

5. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

and don't forget that you dont just go exercise for a week and feel better right away. it takes time, but is worth the initial uphill battle.

6. jonno

jonno New Member

i disagree. many doctors have claimed they've never once seen a seriously depressed person that exercises religiously (5x a week or so)

7. Determined

Determined New Member

Well ever since I stopped drinking, smoking, met all my nutritional requirements (vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids etc.) and joined the military I went from fatigued and "fatalistic" to joyful and progressive. Does anyone have a similar story?

8. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

It does have a small, noticable effect that is constant. However, it never solves any significant mental problem.

9. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

How the fuck would you exersize if you were seriously depressed? A person who has valid, severe depression can hardly get out of bed. Even if they did it is impossible that it would "cure" serious depression. The most stuff like that does is take the edge off.

That is like saying many doctors claim they've never once seen a paraplegic run a marathon. So running a marathon must be the cure for paraplegia.

10. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

I'm convinced proper diet and exercise are the some of the most effective means for combating depression

If you eat bad and don't exercise of course you won't feel good

11. Victoriono

Victoriono New Member

You could probably use some good nutrition and exercise to combat that depression that you have. No happy person is able to have that much anger inside of them.

Besides, seriously depressed people are not paralyzed, may be difficult to get out of bed but no one has claimed it was going to be easy to get out of depression.

12. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

You seem a little pretentious. I probably do more exersize and eat healthier than you ever have. Obviously you know nothing about depression. I take it you go around giving bullshit advice to people then get indignant when they point out that you are a useless retard. I never said depressed people were paralyzed, just that a simple-minded, half-assed suggestion like "do exersize" never cured anyone. It is not something you can just get out of, especially with severe, non-circumstancial depression.

You need to come to terms with the fact that you are to ignorant to ever have any valid advice to offer.

13. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

Maybe so, but it is hardly an effective treatment for severe, non-circumstantial depression. Most people labeled as "extremely depressed" actually have a laughably mild depression that would dissappear if there life circumstances were changed for the better. Such labeling is erroneous as an extremely depressed can't even kill themselves as they lack the energy.

14. Motosaki2

Motosaki2 Guest

being fit doesn't directly cure mental illness, but it does lead to more pussy, and pussy cures everything

15. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

And you're an ass.

16. Joybang

Joybang New Member

The dude seems angry about the topic for some reason.

At the very LEAST becoming healthy physically is the first step to becoming more healthy mentally. For one its something you can actually control on a daily basis and it gives you a better mindset and more energy, not to mention the stress relief.

17. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

If you dislike logic, that's too bad for you.

18. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

I just hate useless advice. I never said it had no effect, just that it won't cure anything significant.

19. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Yes, I took anti depressants, did the psychotherapy, but out of everything the thing that helped me most was boxing.

You can't just jog or do bicep curls for 30 minutes and call it a day. You have to put your entire body 100% into it untill your jaw goes numb and you feel like your muscles can't go anymore, and then you push through and go some more. An hour and a half a day of balls out excersize. WIth that your body will automatically start to crave good foods and suddenly all those problems seem so much smaller. If you have serious life or interpersonal issues it won't solve them, but it will build you a base to where you are prepared to take them on. Suddenly your posture is improved, you don't feel so lethargic, you start looking forward to things, and all those issues that seem to be such a huge weight on your shoulders are simply problems that need some attention, instead of life or death situations.

20. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Its not useless. What do you eat, what type of excercize do you do?

21. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Diet and Exercise can greatly improve your mood when done right. From exercising you get that endorphin rush and after a month or so you feel better seeing all the progress you have made and the all the extra energy you have. A proper diet provides you with more energy and keeps you more healthy.

Diet + Exercise = a great way to build a stable mental/physical foundation.

22. Joybang

Joybang New Member

Well next time come with something better than "its bullshit" :mb::mb:. Plenty of people have brought something useful to the conversation, except you.

23. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

To the first part, the first step to getting over depression is getting out of your "safe" zone and into social situations. IE go join a club and talk to new people with a smile.

The second part is a terrible example. No F***ing shit a cure for a paraplegic is running a marathon. You don't ask a blind person to take an eye test. The thing is, depression is curable while being a paraplegic or blind, maybe in the near future we can "cure" it.

24. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

also, i dont even see mention of severe depression to the point of unable to easily get out of bed. even then, this thing called physical therapy could do numbers for someone like that, so find better logic

25. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Exercise is beneficial to an extent, but by all means it isn't a cure-all solution for anything. It is true that if you start exercising, you will start feeling better about yourself, and you can use that as base to start improving life. Since a lot of the time depression, at least in mild cases, is usually caused by individuals who are not happy with their physical appearance or mental well-being. For most mild cases of depression, it can actually help a tremendous and noticeable amount, but for much more severe cases, it is likely that it will not help at all. You can get into the technicalities of exercising and working out. Exercising causes the brain to release endorphins into your body, and it is believed that these endorphins can react an anti-depressive response. However, these reactions are short term, and is/well never be a long-term solution because of it.