GUN "proper cause" for concealed carry ... ?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sparq, Oct 27, 2005.

1. sparq

sparq New Member

Just reading over the concealed carry information packet from the Sherrifs office and was wondering what exactly is "proper cause" to apply for an unrestricted conceal carry? Just regular "self protection" is not enough, they suggest a home permit for that. I start a job November 7th that will require me to work till midnight downtown, since then that would be different then someone just working till 5pm, would that be enough reason? I feel that because of the hours involved, and the location of the job a CC permit is justified... but will the sherrifs office?

Just looking for some input :wavey:

2. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

a home permit? WTF is that??!?!

Since when the hell do you need a permit, when you're at HOME?!?

PS, i put down, Self defense and that was fine.

If you have to, something like, "Self defense. It takes 1 second to fire a bullet, but 5 minutes for a patrol car to respond."

3. sparq

sparq New Member

Like I said, right in the paperwork it says "Also, if you desire a license for self-protection you would be advised to apply for an on-premise license. This is not a carry license and restricts the possession of the handgun to the dwelling or place of business listed in the application"

NY has different types of permits... Carry Concealed which is broken down to different types, unrestricted, restricted and also a CC for employment (while on a job), sportsman permit and possession on premise.

... Also, I dont think that would be a nice thing to say, when one of my 4 people I need for character references is going to be a cop :mamoru:

4. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

Oh I see, so it's actually for work and shit. Not your actual home.
    In WA, we dont need a license, for your work place. :coold:

How about, "To return fire at minorities?"

5. RRTX

RRTX New Member

"All Lawful Purposes"

6. CString

CString New Member

:wtf:
    home permit?
    character references to get a CCW?
    i went in, filled out my name and address, got fingerprinted and she said ok, you should get it in about 8 weeks.

7. sparq

sparq New Member

Aint NY state great? Ive got to have 4 character references and its a whole process that can take upto 6 months (they say 3-6 months). Im hoping for a little speedier process, as I will hopefully be listing one currently active cop and one well respected retired cop on the application :x:

8. sparq

sparq New Member

Oh, I may be moving to Florida come end of April / Early May... are they more laxed with CCW? Should I just hold out until then?

9. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

a home permit :ugh:

fuck that, if someone comes in my house unwelcomed, theyre going out in a body bag, legal or not

10. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

more lax, hell we give them away.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/

Eligibility Requirements

o You must be a citizen of the United States OR you must be deemed a lawful permanent resident alien by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS formerly INS).

If you are not a citizen of the United States, you must submit documentation issued by the USCIS proving you are a permanent legal resident alien who has resided in your state of residence for at least 90 consecutive days prior to the date the application is submitted. Evidence of proof includes, but is not limited to:
    + Utility bills; telephone, power, or cable
    + Pay stubs or other documentation from your employer
    + Credit card statement
    o You must be 21 years of age or older.
    o You must be able to demonstrate competency with a firearm.

Possible Reasons for Ineligibility:

o The physical inability to handle a firearm safely.
    o A felony conviction (unless civil and firearm rights have been restored by the convicting authority).
    o Having adjudication withheld or sentence suspended on a felony or misdemeanor crime of violence unless three years have elapsed since probation or other conditions set by the court have been fulfilled.
    o A conviction for a misdemeanor crime of violence in the last three years.
    o A conviction for violation of controlled substance laws or multiple arrests for such offenses.
    o A record of drug or alcohol abuse.
    o Two or more DUI convictions within the previous three years.
    o Being committed to a mental institution or adjudged incompetent or mentally defective.
    o Failing to provide proof of proficiency with a firearm.
    o Having been issued a domestic violence injunction or an injunction against repeat violence that is currently in force.
    o Renouncement of U.S. citizenship.
    o A dishonorable discharge from the armed forces.
    o Being a fugitive from justice.

Detailed explanations of these various disqualifying conditions are provided in the Application for the Concealed Weapon/Firearm License.

11. striker754

striker754 Chillin

CONSTITUTION.

lc

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Why wait? You can get a Florida Non-Resident permit. It won't let you carry in NJ, but it would allow you to carry in a number of other states.

13. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

much better hten CA requirements. Might as well not even apply over here.

14. sparq

sparq New Member

How do I go about doing that? And ive never been to dirty jerz

15. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I don't think that will fly in NY. IIRC you have to have a specific, "legitimate" (in their eyes :rolleyes: ) reason. Like you carry large sums of money to/from the bank for work. Crap like that.

16. sparq

sparq New Member

NY permit isnt good fucking anywhere, FL here I come

17. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Sorry, typo. A non-resident permit is a concealed carry permit issued by a state that you are not a resident of. Some states have them, but only 4, that I am aware of, allow you to apply through the mail. Florida, Utah, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania. NH will only issue if you already have a permit from your home state or any other state. PA will only issue if you a) already have a permit from your home state or b) your home state does not issue permits. Utah and Florida require classes (for Utah it must be a Utah approved class) and fingerprints.

The nice thing about them is you can carry in states that recognize the permits, not just the state that issued them. For instance I have a NH and PA permit because I live in Illinois and, well, it's a communist state. I work and spend a lot of time in Missouri, which recognizes both permits, so when I am in MO, I can carry concealed.

FL permit info is here: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html
    There is a class + a fee + fingerprint card. You can find out what states recognize what permits here: http://www.packing.org/license_tool/

The permits will not allow you to buy firearms in/from that state without transferring it through an FFL, etc. They only allow you to carry and only in states that recognize them (NY does not recognize out of state permits, sorry). It will allow you to carry in 27 other states, so you can carry in most of your drive down when you move there!

18. sparq

sparq New Member

Except maryland and SC... But in NY dont I need a permit to even buy a gun? So if I got a FL permit, and I cant buy a gun in Florida because im not a legal resident yet, what good will it do me since I dont have a handgun? :o

19. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yea, but you don't need a CCW to purchase a handgun in NY do you? It's a seperate permit, and you probably don't have to show cause for it like the concealed carry permit.

20. sparq

sparq New Member

Good call... it was late, I wasn't thinking :o

21. MrSlappyPants

MrSlappyPants New Member

You most certainly DO. In NY it is illegal to TOUCH a handgun without a permit... literally. If you go to any firearms dealer, they will not even take out a pistol for you to look at without your permit in their hands. There are 2 permits you can apply for, home, or CCW, and the application process is the same, so there's no reason not to apply for the CCW. Not only that, but they also have the most strict standards ANYWHERE to get your permit (and even worse for me in Erie county). I posted it somewhere before, but I'll recap. First you're required to take the safety course, then pass the written exam (I don't think you could fail if you tried though). Then you have to fill out you application to submit (with 2 passport quality photos taken within the last 2 week period) including 4 references who are over 21, never been arrested, live in your county, and are NOT family members. Then you have to go to any courthouse you have ever received anything more than a speeding ticket for (I was falsely arrested for driving on a "suspended liscence" years ago) and get an official copy of that record and ruling to submit with your application. Then you have to have your application notarized. Then you can finally submit it with your $100 application fee. Then you wait. and wait. and wait. Eventually a local police officer will call you to conduct an interview (some are over the phone, some you are required to go in to the station for). Then they will wait another month and call and interview all of your references. Then you will wait again while they "process" the paperwork. In the meantime, you can then go downtown to the apparently only place that will do fingerprinting in the county with your $20 fingerprinting fee. Then you wait again. Finally an entire year after you applied, assuming you are approved, you will receive your approval letter in the mail. From here you now have 30 days to go out and purchase a handgun (if you don't, you must start the application process over again). After you purchase the handgun, you have to take your purchase receipt and approval letter downtown again (without the pistol). Then you have to submit the paperwork to them and wait another month for them to mail you your ACTUAL permit.

So, finally after 12 months of waiting to process your application, approximately $250 in fees for class/photos/notary/application/fingerprints, and 1 month without your pistol that you have already paid for, you can finally go get your gun!

Oh well. At least I don't have to wait to buy any other guns anymore. Oh, and for the question about the application, I put "all lawful purposes including, but not limited to, target and hunting." or something along those lines. It was basically one of the only acceptable answers in this county from what the course instructor said.

22. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I think you misread my reply. I stated that he probably did not need a CONCEALED WEAPONS permit to obtain a handgun, but instead needed a different permit. I did not state no permit was needed, nor did I mean for it to be interpreted that way. My point was he does not need an unrestricted carry permit to obtain a firearm.

edit: and that's crazy, the process is the same for a home license as a CCW!? Man, I though Illinois sucked.

23. MrSlappyPants

MrSlappyPants New Member

right... that's my point. He needs a permit of SOME sort to obtain a handgun, and the application process is the same for all of them. So he might as well go CCW, and he might as well be prepared for a lot of wait and hassle.

24. 86 Bird

86 Bird eh

:rofl:
    Luckly Maine is easy to get one:)

25. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

go over to vermount anyone at all can carry there