Propane fumigation for diesels.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by critter783, Jul 14, 2008.

1. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

Anyone here tried adding a propane fumigation system to their diesel engine? If so, what kind of results did you have, and what brand of kit did you use? I'm thinking of doing this to my truck as a side project this summer, but don't know if its worth the money/safe to for the engine/etc.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What does it do? Does it take the place of ether, or what?

3. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

You introduce propane to the intake manifold, and it results in a more complete burn of fuel in the cylinders, which increases power output.

4. deusexaethera

Ah.

You know, I heard that a 50/50 blend of diesel and biodiesel does pretty much the same thing. No soot, no nasty diesel smell, and better lubrication of the cylinder head. I actually saw a truck running on it; when the driver gunned the engine, the only thing that came out the stack was hot air. It doesn't need any modification, either, because the diesel thins out the veggie oil enough that it can atomize even when cold.

5. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

I run a blend of bio and petrol diesel occasionally, depending on which gas station I stop at, and my truck runs like shit on biodiesel. Bio isn't worth a shit as far as lubrication goes, and I don't care about the diesel fumes. I'm not looking for something to help with cold starts; I have no problem with that. Essentially what I'm looking at is a system that does about the same thing as nitrous on a gas engine.

6. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

7. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

8. deusexaethera

You have a turbodiesel, right? I wouldn't bother with any nitrous-type setup until you've tried turning up the boost limit on your turbo first. It's better to modify the engine in ways that the ECU already understands how to deal with, and more boost on a turboed engine falls nicely into that category -- hooking up a can of propane doesn't.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  9. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

I'm sure I could realize some gain by going down that route, but I've seen some tests that yielded a 20% increase in power. Tuning the engine would be one thing I would do as part of the whole project. Basically, I'm just looking for something to do to kill a little time and maybe learn something.

10. copeland

copeland smarter than you

My buddy had propane injection...acts like Nitrous to the dieselbetter burn...more power....

He was looking at water injection but then blew the block