MMA Promoter trying to screw me over?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by teep, Feb 20, 2007.

1. teep

teep New Member

So I'm on a March 31st card (this one: http://www.wfl.tv/ ) and the promoter is pretty friendly with my trainer. They're in the process of picking an opponent for me. To find a good match up the guy suggested I go over to his gym and spar with their light weight who just lost his title earlier this month. Now, while he says its so he can see where I'm at for himself and thus set up a good fight, it all sounded super fishy to me. He runs the WFL production here, but he also has his gym that puts out alot of fighters. Not only will I probably end up fighting the kid they want me to have a "friendly training" session with at some point, but it just seems like they'll be able to pick my whole game apart and when its time for me to fight one of their guys they'll give me an awful match up. Even though my trainer seems fine with it I can't help but feel like somethings up.

Does this seem odd to anyone else?

Edit: Haha if you go to the Boston Herald article in that link you can see that the promoter looks just like a fat Dana White. Also you can see my arm in the background woo

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  2. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Take your b game and a friend with a video camera

3. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

werd, 2ofdem's got it right on the fuckin head. Why go over to hostile territory just to have them analyze the living shit out of your game. Fuck that noise, sounds like they're gonna try to find a shitty matchup for you so they can win. I'd take it up with your trainer and call bullshit on those types of antics.

Hell if your trainer insists that you go, just don't go all the way, just go 75% and be wary of the fact that they're gonna look for your tendencies. I hope you do alright man. Let us know how it goes.

4. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

FUCK THAT!

No promoter does that shit.

Thats shady as fuck. You talk to the manager etc.. and set up the fight
    , no promoter watches talent like that. you watch vids of past fights and shit, thats it

its a set up.

5. Sammo

Sammo New Member

fuckin' Dana White wannabe :rofl:

of all the people to model yourself after...

6. chackrafool

chackrafool New Member

:werd:
    purposely open a hole in your game for the sparing session and just have it magically close on the night of the fight.

7. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

that type of stuff happens alot with smaller cirquit promoters they are probably looking for a duck for one of his fighters and they think you will be it. That happened to a freind of mine earlier this year they set him up for a maytch that they were sure he was going to lose. Then he won and we all laughed

8. teep

teep New Member

My trainer just keeps telling me that the promoter is a friend and a good guy and just wants to make sure that hes not "getting any killers" for a fight with another inexperienced guy. I still told him it was weird to me and that I would only go if he really wanted me to. We just told the promoter that he would see me in a grappling competition, the one he owns, in a couple weeks. If I do end up going to that gym I'll just play my game for a second to see how the kid reacts then do a bunch of dumb shit.

9. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

It sounds like your trainer doesn't have your best interest in mind. If they're such good friends wouldn't the promoter take his word that you're not a "killer"?

10. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

you sir have hit the nail on the head imo

11. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Yeah, sounds shady.

12. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Mother fucking BINGO!!

13. teep

teep New Member

He does. He's my trainer, but he's a good friend. I know he would never intentionally put me in a bad situation.

14. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

thats what you would think, but theres no love or loyalty when it comes down to business

15. Placebo

Placebo New Member

That is shady as fuck man. Fuck that and fuck your trainer.

16. teep

teep New Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought it was weird.

What I should have probably mentioned in my last post is that he's not pressuring me into it at all. He was just saying what he thought and if I don't want any part of it then it's cool with him. I feel dumb for making him sound like a bad guy. Honestly, my training situation couldn't be much better. I train for free and I can go in whenever I want. Even if the place is closed I can just go to his house to grab the keys. We always go out to eat, he's always giving me rides home, calls to see if I'm ok if I miss training sessions, etc. Anyone here would love the place.