GUN prolly repost but

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by black96gtvert, Mar 23, 2006.

1. black96gtvert

black96gtvert "Is that goal regulation size or what!" -Happy Gil

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Why Doctors Are 9,000 Times More Likely to Accidentally Kill You Than Gun Owners [/FONT]

A widely publicized report saying that as many as 98,000 people die each year in the United States from medical errors is conservative, and the number is probably much larger than that. The estimate by the Institute of Medicine (IOM) is low because it looked only at deaths of patients at hospitals. The Institute is a private, nonprofit organization that provides health policy advice under a congressional charter to the National Academy of Sciences. Janet M. Corrigan is the IOM's director of health care services. The Institute is a private, nonprofit organization that provides health policy advice under a congressional charter to the National Academy of Sciences. She told reporters at a Capitol Hill briefing May 8 that the study did not look at medical-error deaths at nursing homes, emergency rooms or in doctors' offices. The mortality estimates are low also because most of the information was based on medical record reviews. Medical errors are a problem that has been hidden from the public for far to long.
    Number of physicians in the US = 700,000
    Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year = 120,000
    Accidental deaths per physician = 0.171
    Number of gun owners in the US = 80,000,000
    Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups) = 1,500
    Accidental deaths per gun owner = 0.0000188
    Therefore, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

2. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

do you have a source? I could use this for an upcoming research paper on gun control.

3. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

mds2004 search for Nathan Tabor, this has been printed all over the place, including mensNEWSdaily and lots of local news channels.

I actually saw this back in July of 2004, so like I said in the chat doctors are probably even more dangerous now.

4. islanderman7

islanderman7 New Member

damn, im going to be a doctor who owns lots of guns. :( i guess my probability for accidental deaths have risen.

5. 99_civic_ex

99_civic_ex Active Member

Out of curiousity, I'd like to see the number of total gun related deaths per gun owner (not just accidental).

6. jonny427

jonny427 Scooby Doo OT Supporter

Interested too :noes:

7. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

In that Penn and Teller episode that was just posted I think they said 10,000 a year. I've seen numbers as high as 20,000 but there's no way I'm going to go looking for them right now...

8. black96gtvert

black96gtvert "Is that goal regulation size or what!" -Happy Gil

9. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Anyone have a source for total number of gun deaths in the US a year and then possibly have it split up into different causes?

10. CString

CString New Member

This will help in my persuasion speech about why gun control is bullshit :coold: