projector for my room?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 1FastRide, Nov 1, 2004.

1. 1FastRide

1FastRide New Member

im thinking about buying this toshiba projector for $1000. does anyone here use a projector? was it worth it? what are the pro's and con's?
    thank you

2. 04

04 Guest

Which projector?

3. 1FastRide

1FastRide New Member

umm its the new one, its the 1400 luma.
    do you have to pay taxes on the internet?

4. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

usually, yes... sometimes you only have to pay taxes when you are living in the state it is being sold from.

5. nadroj

nadroj OT Supporter

www.avsforum.com has a tremendous amount of information

3500 and under forum

6. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

dude, you have alot of reading to do first!!

I dont own a projector, but the biggest con to me is that your room must be pretty much completely dark. Outside light makes your projected image look weaker. Spending $250 every year or two for bulbs really doesnt bother me, but for some, that is a con.

7. cassetti

cassetti New Member

i don't own a projector either - however - i do know someone who has a 13 year old projector of his own in his house - and a system so loud that he can feel the midbass from his front stage even if he mutes his subs and all other speakers!

by feel - i'm talking about the actual gusts of air! (he's like me - we prefer to build our own home theater and home stereo speakers than buy them!)

but yeah - i've talked to him a few times

now as far as projectors go, those lowend ones are cool - and can be used (don't know about in a small room) pretty easily (either by suspending it from the ceiling or putting it on a table)

now - the problem - is as you stated - it is weak - and will be difficult to see in a room that is illuminated by either natural light or some light source in front of the screen (behind it may be ok if you are using a screen and not a 'wall'

but to say all projectors are that way is false - first - not all of them burn out bulbs at the same rate as others.

secondly - many 'real' projectors (i call em 'real' because i'm talking about highend professional ones) are so powerful that you can indeed view them while in a room that is illuminated.

when i mentioned myself thinking of buying one - his biggest reccomendation: do some research on what was big 5 or 10 years ago - and buy one of those - that way - you can get a used one that would be much nicer than the one you could get brand new.

like the one he has - it was a $30,000 projector new in its day - now its worth about $3000 - 4000 if he were to sell it - but still - at $4000 - it is better than many you can find in stores for $10,000 or more

if you get some nice accent lighting for the room to compensate for the necessity of low lighting - you could get away with a very nice HUGE screen in that room

hope that helps!