SRS project shot down...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WGD87, Oct 15, 2008.

1. WGD87

WGD87 New Member

So I've been writing and planning this children's book project for a class since I got the assignment three weeks ago. I've been shopping for supplies like five times and I spent a ton of money on it because in my mind I had this amazing vision for it...........

So I start putting it together this week.... Some things came up this weekend with my family and I ended up leaving.... So I mean its been kind of a shitty week for me. I was sleeping in my car in the driveway when I decided to go to my boyfriends without my stuff.... It cut a lot of time out of my work time....

Either way I stayed up all night last night finishing this book. I made myself not cut corners to get done early.. I mean I really wanted to come up with something amazing in the end....

It was not quite what I had envisioned.... due to a lack of money/supplies... but I was proud of it. I can always add more later.....

I just... I feel like total shit right now because we had this whole critique thing and like, no matter how proud I was of what I did it sucked in comparison to everyone elses.... And I mean, it was very obvious to me some people, who put in half the time, had such awesome projects........

I've always had this idea I would illustrate a children's book before I died and like, now I just feel like.. defeated...

We had peer revision..... You gave a 1st 2nd and 3rd place on a form and everyone voted...... 1st place on one sheet was worth 3 points and so on.... People were getting high 20's 19's 18's.... I got a 4......

When the class was over I took a nap outside to get my mind off of it... I went to another class and went home.. and took another nap.. I needed the sleep but I kind of just wanted to turn off for a while.. Maybe I am overly tired.. but now I've just been sitting here crying...

I suppose I shouldn't care what other people think if I like it but it just makes me think this project was shit....... And now I look at my other stuff... My movie project.... My watercolor painting... Both of which are supposed to be turned in tomorrow.. and I just don't want to do it because I think they are shit too... People make art to make art.... But they kind of want it to be seen and they want it to grab attention... Artists want people to like their work if they like it... I dunno...

I know I should just shrug it off and I wish I could. I just remember like, hearing peoples scores, and looking at mine and trying harder than I ever have in my life not to look totally defeated. What do you do when you get shot down like that....? How do you pick back up or like... I don't know.... I know I'm not the only one who has felt this way. I told my boyfriend and he just said if I like it, it shouldn't matter what other people think but it does. Even if I tired to lie to myself I would know it matters.

I know this post is kind of like, lame as far as life problems go but it would really make me feel better to hear something from someone other than "if you like it, that's all that matters"... That is good advice I guess but it just makes me feel worse for some reason...

2. scottmcl

scottmcl New Member

Are you really going to let a single failure leave you this defeated? If you aren't happy with how your work stacked up to the other then endeavor to improve you technique, and sharpen your skills. There is always room for improvement

That optimism you had before was a valuable asset, don't loose it. If you strive to improve,and if you continue to put your heart and soul into your work, it will stand out.

3. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats."

BC Forbes

4. nofriends

nofriends OT Supporter

While it sucks to have something you poured your time and effort into not be received well, the bottom line is that you enjoy it. You know you did the best you could and while you may not be the best at one particular thing, you can always know that you tried your hardest.

Learn from your mistakes and keep going forward with the attitude you have to succeed and something will eventually click and turn in your favor.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The thing about life is that it shoots you down in order for you to start resisting defeat so you will become a stronger soul. Life isn't therefore so much about failing, its about showing the strenght not to give up, refusing to give in and to continue on and stand up and move on after you've fallen into one of life's many traps.

Especially when it comes to art, art is a 'learning process' , People cannot automatically start drawing a Mona Lisa , it takes a lot of (life) experience and personal emotion that you put into your art. You are therefore being to hard on yourself, yes it is true that art is made to be put on display. It doesn't matter that your art is shit, what matters is that you put your heart in it. Over time perceptive on art changes, Van Gogh's art work was considered SHIT at the time of his life, he was so frustrated that he cut of his own ear being depressed, and guess what now his work of art is worth Millions and has gained world fame. Therefore do not despair, even if other people's works are a million times better then yours, its not about that. Its about telling your life story, its about your emotional expression. Its not just a piece on a canvas, or a story in a book, its a piece of you and you are a work of art in yourself, and you are part of a continues growing process of your personality and the expression of this personality is what truelly counts in art, therefore i advice you to continue. Hold on even tho its hard.

6. WGD87

WGD87 New Member

Thanks guys... I don't feel so bad about it anymore...

I had two other critiques today and people had positive feedback (and negative) about my other projects but at least people liked some of what I did in each project....

There are parts of my book that kicked ass thinking back on it with a more clear mindset. Overall I think I just took a different approach and people weren't as interested in the direction I took..

It is true there are a lot of artists of the past whose work was shit on. Especially women.. and now they are worth tons and viewed as masterpieces... I guess I just want to be alive to see the success... But I agree, people aren't born good at art and it isn't always about technical skill just as it isn't always about meaning... To be a good artist you have the learn, practice and experience and observe life....

Its just a lesson... and more practice under my belt if it didn't turn out very good.. Its still disappointing but it doesn't feel like the end of the world anymore.

Thanks guys...

7. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I have a couple things to say about this.

1. Sitting in a creative writing class and having your work torn apart by strangers is a cruel experience. If you have a lot of emotion invested in the work it feels a lot like getting raped.
    But.... but.... you have to remember, this is what these students are supposed to be doing. If one of the students sits there and says, 'Wow it is perfect just like it is. I got nothing to say.' it is going to look like that student is lazy and not interested in participating in the class.
    The department I work for had an auditor come through a couple years ago. The auditor was from an outside company that wanted to work with us.
    This auditor tore us apart. You should have seen the nitpicking. It was awful.
    A lot of us had hurt egos. We thought we were doing a pretty good job of things, then this stranger walks through the door and tells us that we are not up to par.

My advice for my coworkers? First we needed to make the changes this person wanted. The powers that be wanted this company's business. If we didn't make the changes we wouldn't get the business.
    Second, we needed to remember that if that auditor came through and found no problems, then the outside company would think the auditor wasn't doing her job. Even if we were perfect it was her job to find problems.

This is a valuable lesson for you to learn. This may be the first time that you feel gangraped by your peers over a project that is close to your heart, I assure you it won't be the last.

2) Consider making the changes your classmates have recommended. It will get you a better grade.

3) When all is said and done consider doing something special with the book.
    You can give it to me if you like. I have a 5 month old daughter and I would be happy to pay shipping on something like this.
    You can give it to a local library and ask them to put it in the children's section.
    You can save it for your own kids. How cool would that be? Reading to your own kids stories you wrote.